Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 73

Author Topic: Serial Killer Roguelike  (Read 115187 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer Roguelike
« Reply #795 on: August 26, 2010, 11:29:08 am »

This isn't really the same thing as any of the games you mentioned.

It is. You kill people, both in Serial Killer and all those ther games I mention. In fact, I am wrong. You kill more people in those games than you do in this game.

...And people are complaining that a game where you walk around and kill people is going too far?

It's not the killing. Killing stuff is just fine, it's how you approach it. Shooting things is what every FPS is all about. Killing hundreds of uniformed soldiers is just fine. Uniformed soldiers aren't real people, it's okay to shoot them. And it's okay to nuke England or blow up a star system in a 4X game, because you never see the millions or billions of people who die. They're statistics, not real people. And while virtually every roguelike features mass murder as a method of keeping score and character advancement, this one here goes out of its way to personify the designated victims.

So if you like mass murder, why you're bothering with this, when you have a wide variety of different games giving you the same exact same thrill (murder)?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:31:25 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 26, 2010, 11:29:58 am »

So...any game where you kill people is the same as any other game where you kill people?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 26, 2010, 11:35:44 am »

It is. You kill people, both in Serial Killer and all those ther games I mention. In fact, I am wrong. You kill more people in those games than you do in this game.

It's not the killing. Killing stuff is just fine, it's how you approach it. Shooting things is what every FPS is all about. Killing hundreds of uniformed soldiers is just fine. Uniformed soldiers aren't real people, it's okay to shoot them. And it's okay to nuke England or blow up a star system in a 4X game, because you never see the millions or billions of people who die. They're statistics, not real people. And while virtually every roguelike features mass murder as a method of keeping score and character advancement, this one here goes out of its way to personify the designated victims.

So if you like mass murder, why you're bothering with this, when you have a wide variety of different games giving you the same exact same thrill (murder)?

You'd likely kill less people in this, but those people are portrayed in a drastically different light than other games, which is why this thread became so long and caught the interest of so many. In GTA, half the people you kill are enemies that you're fighting against for your own interests, not for simply killing them. When you run over people, you do it for the fun of seeing them fly into the air, ragdoll-style. In Assassin's Creed, killing civilians damaged you, and killing enemies was alright, even if they had families, because you had to save the world. To repeat what someone else already said, the fun/thrill of this game isn't going to stem from the killing itself. It comes from the way the game treats it.

There's a wide variety, but this one is forging on new ground. Hence the interest, and why people are 'bothering' with it. Soadreqm explained it well.

memy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 26, 2010, 11:37:59 am »

I would love to be able to leave messages in blood.

"Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside of me has become."

To those who get the reference. Your mind has been blown.
Though I hope I'm wrong, I sincerely doubt I'd ever be able to emulate Johan in this game no matter how well TCK makes it.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 26, 2010, 11:46:35 am »

Well, I am intrigued by the promised stealth-based gameplay and the sophisticated DF-inspired damage system, but I can't really speak for the crowd that gets a hard-on from watching things bleed. To be honest, they kind of creep me out. Yeah, if you just want to kill something and don't care what it is, you shouldn't really need more than one video game. Yet they sell. I guess people either want variety in their murder simulators, or have other reasons for liking them? :P

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 26, 2010, 12:06:24 pm »

I think I will treat it as a game, and I will make sure I am very silly when I go about playing it. I'm sure being able to play The Bumbler will be possible. Beeware the Bumbler.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:14 pm »

I love how all the poorly planned media reports bring up the real life characters, who were removed from day 2 or 3 on :P

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:57 pm »

I'm interested in the game because I enjoy watchign Criminal Minds. I probably won't even be able to have fun with it until his investigation system works so I have a point to covering up my crimes.

Why the big deal on debasing this game, Servant Corps? I am against censorship of all sorts, and that extends to this.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 26, 2010, 12:32:18 pm »

As a human, I say better to kill pixles than people. I see nothing wrong with simulated violence  ;D

What did Pixels ever do you to jnecros, you heartless bastard?  ;D

eclipsetail

• Bay Watcher
  • [HIGH_FIVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 26, 2010, 12:37:47 pm »

As a human, I say better to kill pixles than people. I see nothing wrong with simulated violence  ;D

What did Pixels ever do you to jnecros, you heartless bastard?  ;D

Are you saying we should kill real people who have done stuff to us?

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 26, 2010, 12:38:06 pm »

To the people saying "why make another killing game when we already have some?" it's his hobby, thats why he is making it.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 26, 2010, 12:40:56 pm »

Why are we talking about this?  This is a thread about the game, let's quit yammering on about all this crap that may or may not go on outside of it.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 26, 2010, 12:46:06 pm »

I have a question regarding what I assume is a planned feature:

What kind of buildings are planned to be present in the finished game? (Not the alpha, the actual finished product) Because I'm sort of hoping for apartments and hotels where we can access all floors (Including penthouse suites). And will there be a large variety in the 'workplace' buildings? (ie. Will there be plain office buildings all over, or will there be variety, like warehouses and different government buildings mixed in, etc.)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 26, 2010, 12:57:03 pm »

I have a question regarding what I assume is a planned feature:

What kind of buildings are planned to be present in the finished game? (Not the alpha, the actual finished product) Because I'm sort of hoping for apartments and hotels where we can access all floors (Including penthouse suites). And will there be a large variety in the 'workplace' buildings? (ie. Will there be plain office buildings all over, or will there be variety, like warehouses and different government buildings mixed in, etc.)

An entire realistic city from what I understand.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 26, 2010, 01:03:50 pm »

It's different though.

Sure, on the average Call of Duty map you kill lots of people.  But while it's fun, it's not very immersive - all enemies are generic, damage isn't very realistic and there won't be very realistic consequences for doing it.

And yes, in GTA, you can kill lots of innocent people.  But again, in a very unrealistic (if fun) way - just driving around shooting and running people down randomly.  In real life, as soon as the police came, you'd be cut down in a hail of bullets before your rampage goes anywhere.  It isn't at all similar to this.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 73