Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Fremen Sietch (Dune mod) release thread  (Read 27761 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fremen Sietch (Dune mod) release thread
« on: August 23, 2010, 09:57:10 pm »

Alright, after about two weeks of work, I think foamy and I have gotten far enough to release a beta. I'm still waiting on the weapon raws from foamy, so lasguns and such will be unbalanced, but its playable, though not even close to what I plan for it. I'd like it if all discussion of this mod could be moved here.
Link to the old thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63721.0
Link to the mod: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2991

And now, without further ado, features:

New creatures:
     Sandworms- not hostile to the fremen, but enourmous and deadly. If any creature in the game can best one of these, I'll be amazed
    Various desert life not worth mentioning
     Dust devils- harmless, indestructable swirling clouds of dust
    Coriolis Storms - deadly and destructive, get your fremen inside when a "storm" arrives
    Fremen - Fanatical natives of the desert, you play as them.
    Smugglers - they will trade with you, and trade is near essential, (or is going to be) for survival in this mod
    Bene Gesserit - They don't yet have an entity, but when they do, they'll be someone who's bad side you DON'T want to be on. Their max strength is 1.5 times higher than a dwarfs, and the other attributes are similarly elevated.

New Combat:
    As I said, most of these are still having the kinks worked out of them:
    Lasguns- Incredibly powerful, but not very accurate,  worthless against shielded targets. At the moment they can be made from a bar of plasteel, a more complex reaction is coming.
    Maula Pistols- more effective against armor than lasguns, but less so against unarmored targets
    Crysknifes - razor sharp blades that cut through flesh with the greatest of ease (new materials currently being worked on)
   Shields- These protect very well from projectiles, less so from melee: combat will probably be slower and hits will be more deadly.

Gameplay:
         Arrakis is not hospitable to terran life: water is incredibly scarce.
         Drink can only be acquired through trade, or when a fortress is small, the distillation of vermin and body parts
         Storms ravage the land, and there is nothing you can do to stop them: simply pull all your fremen inside
         A custom mapscript makes the whole land desert

Coming Soon:

Creatures:
               Vehicles: I'll soon start working on vehicles that will appear with sieging armies and will be quite deadly.
               Sandworms: I hope to reproduce the sandworm reproductive cycle, if DF allows it, as well as their aversion to water.
    Plants:
               melange: not included as of yet, I'll start working on it soon
               Wild shrubs are a possibility, but they will be rare.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:49:48 am by Eagle_eye »

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fremen Sietch (Dune mod) release thread
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 06:02:22 am »

Some more info on combat:

Pellet guns: you can think of these as like using iron weapons against steel equipped enemies. they are only useful because they can penetrate shields from a distance (if medical help is close they are only really deadly with headshots, broken bones are common though).

Lasguns: these are more like steel weapons. they will tear unshielded people apart and almost always cause permanent damage. the downside is that they do nothing against shields.

shields in melee: currently shields will protect you from pretty much every single melee attack from any edged weapon. Wrestling still works though. this will change soon so that the better blades cut right through. I am also hoping to tweak the fremen's wrestling to simulate the weirding way. this will make a fremen wrestler about equal to a harkonen with a shield and sword if i am successful.

Water: The only natural source of water (outside the deathstill) is underground reservoirs. the traditional caves are the entrances to these reservoirs. you are not able to mine many types of rock (usually a few Z levels below the surface) so you cant dig down to them.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 05:30:18 pm »

I'm currently working on the bene gesserit, they'll be done within a few days.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 12:02:44 am »

Weirding way testing was a success. all things being equal it'll take 2 or 3 regular wrestlers to take down one fremen.

Freddex

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 10:47:41 am »

Heya Foam, this looks interesting, I think I'll test it later. As far as I understood it, this is really challenging survival in the desert, set in the world of Dune. I look forward to it. :D

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 11:07:23 am »

Yeah, it's going to be extremely different to vanilla. very little production will be possible so the goal is to sell as much spice as possible before you die of thirst or are overrun by invaders.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 04:22:27 pm »

or rather, spice is really the only thing you can produce, except for water, unless you embark on a cave, which can be seen as "easy mode"

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 04:23:34 pm »

or rather, spice is really the only thing you can produce, except for water, unless you embark on a cave, which can be seen as "easy mode"

and yes, that does mean your food supplies will have to last until the caravan.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 04:28:37 pm »

a small issue I'll fix soon, but harkonnen expand FAST. By year 300, they had 25 or so dark fortresses in a single civ. In other words, end worldgen early until I get this fixed.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 04:52:47 pm »

Added harkonnens, I'm now working on vehicles, I'll update once I get 'thopters working.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 12:02:11 am »

will the worms attack spice-gatherers?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 06:39:53 am »

no they will not, but they will be hostile to non fremen.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 12:06:59 am »

Ah, I love playing in deserts. I can't wait to try this out. Edited!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:12:47 am by Asra »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 12:13:36 am »

I'm sorry, I'm too busy staring at your lovely banner to download this right now. But I will try this out.

(who drew that? It's lovely.)
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: [1] 2 3 4