Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Chickens eating cat food?  (Read 3498 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Chickens eating cat food?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 05:32:37 pm »

guess that will be very usefull when i get old enough to own a home *points at the lucky 13*.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 06:41:12 pm »

Many animals will eat anything if given the chance.

My university is spread over several hills, and there are a lot of road-side cafes and restaurants. Tree sparrows will jump onto tables and eat chicken leg, eggs, steak and sausages.

Those tree sparrows are as a result understandably fat... they are literally bouncing meatballs with feathers. Sometimes they don't even jump/fly away when you walk/sit nearby.
They could make a small fortune with a new dish. ;)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 10:50:47 pm »

This is funny becuase I used to have chickens and they would do the same thing. I guess chickens really like cat food for some reason. I dont think anything happened to them though. :-\

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »

Well, purina cat chow contains...

Poultry by-product meal, ground yellow corn, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, brewers rice, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), fish meal, brewers dried yeast, animal digest, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, calcium chloride, choline chloride, dicalcium phosphate, salt, taurine, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (E, A, B-12, D-3), L-Alanine, riboflavin supplement, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, citric acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), calcium iodate.

So, aside from the ever mysterious Poultry by-product meal (which seems to be "whatever is left over when you process a chicken, dried out and ground up to powder), you see it mostly contains grains and vitamin/mineral supplements anyway.

It should be fine for your chickens.  A little cannibalism never hurt anyone (unless you're talking about those weird protein problems like Mad Cow Disease, but I've never heard of an avian counter-part)

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 08:30:15 pm »

*cough* bird flue.  ;D

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 08:32:03 pm »

No, the bird flu is just a flu (that could kill you). Mad Cow disease is like brain leprosy.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 01:10:33 pm »

No, leprosy is a bacterial illness. Mad Cow is a prion disease; even cooking the food thoroughly doesn't necessarily help.

Also, I wouldn't assume that cat food is good for chickens. Cats and chickens could easily have very different dietary needs (or sensitivities), and I'd be wary of feeding chicken to chickens in the first place. There probably isn't a big problem with it, but I would be wary of it. I'd do more research, in any case.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 01:16:43 pm »

Animals like to eat food that isn't good for them. Well, humans are kinda like that too.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 04:55:46 pm »

It's funny how we act like we aren't animals. :P
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 04:58:02 pm »

Yeah, look at smokers/drinkers.

Wait, I GOT IT! Cat food producers put narcotics in their products!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 05:35:52 pm »

I had chickens when we lived in Nova Scotia. Our rooster was named Bob. One day, in the heat of passionate love making, the hen tore out his left eye. He wandered around like that for a long while until a Golden Hawk swooped down on his left side and dragged him off one day.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 05:46:18 pm »

Rooster Fortress.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 12:54:18 am »

My cousins in Alabama own a chicken farm, one of the large ones for <name redacted>. At one point, one of their dogs died in the coop, which is a veritable sea of chicken-kind (the type that makes PETA all angsty, when they're not busy freezing their dogs in their cellar or whatever it is they do). It was picked clean to the bones when they found it.

Don't mess with chickens.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 08:26:21 am »

My cousins in Alabama own a chicken farm, one of the large ones for <name redacted>. At one point, one of their dogs died in the coop, which is a veritable sea of chicken-kind (the type that makes PETA all angsty, when they're not busy freezing their dogs in their cellar or whatever it is they do). It was picked clean to the bones when they found it.

Don't mess with chickens.

By jah... How long was that dog missing?  Hell, the farm here, we have at least 1 person taking the rounds every day.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 [2]