Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Please No Fighting but: Goblin Camp 0.1 is out  (Read 11877 times)

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please No Fighting but: Goblin Camp 0.1 is out
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2010, 05:10:40 pm »

I can't get my goblins and orcs to do anything half the time, and the interface is kinda unreliable and tough to get used to.  It's funny, I sound/feel like the people who criticize DF...

It's great to see some more ASCII/ANSI love out there though.   

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2010, 08:10:08 pm »

I can't get my goblins and orcs to do anything half the time, and the interface is kinda unreliable and tough to get used to.

You're probably not using the Stocks Manager or Stockpiles right, and the interface is pretty intuitive.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2010, 08:42:10 pm »

I can't get my goblins and orcs to do anything half the time, and the interface is kinda unreliable and tough to get used to.

You're probably not using the Stocks Manager or Stockpiles right, and the interface is pretty intuitive.
There is some quirkiness since this is really just the second release.  For instance, if you select Drink, you also have to select Container and Liquid Container.  I've found that you have to choose the parent node as well.  So if you want a log pile, you have to pick Wood and Log.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2010, 11:41:42 am »

Goblin Camp version 0.11 is out with a lot of nice new features. I'm enjoying this game, though it is obviously incomplete.

There is also a nice piece about it on bigdownload.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:18:43 pm by forsaken1111 »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2010, 12:37:19 pm »

It sounds like 0.12 will be soon - hard to believe 0.11 was almost a month ago now.

the doryen library blog has mention that they're working on a native tile mode for LibTCoD, specifically for Goblin Camp. And it looks very pretty with the sample tileset!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2010, 01:19:23 pm »

wow, getting it working with those tiles would be amazing. I wonder if they'll integrate a zoom function as well.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2010, 09:04:09 pm »

So, goblins and orcs seem to do different things, but is there a list of what exact jobs goblins can do, and which are restricted to non-military orcs?
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2010, 09:31:34 pm »

I'm having a problem they won't harvest the crops. I removed all other jobs but still nothing.

Otherwise the game is coming along nicely. I still find the interface slightly fiddly at times, clicking through things by accident. The tiles were a bit small so I doubled them. Quite tempted to mod in human, dwarven, elven heroes to pester the camp.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2010, 11:10:27 pm »

Ok, Im starting to get it figured out.  Still not quite sure how the minimums in the stock manager work.  I set the lower number to say 5 of something, thinking that that would mean I want 5 of them, or a minimum of 5 of them...and then the go and make 22. :o

Also, fiddled about with the creatures list, and learned something.  Don't change "skeleton" into "dwarven hero" and then add the underground tag.  Skeletons have hands.  Gah!

I suppose you could do it if you really don't like goblins, tho.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2010, 02:49:28 am »

Goblins do dirty work - tree cutting, farming, herb collecting and hauling. Orcs do crafts, work in workshops and can become soldiers.

Stockpile minimums are not perfectly working, especially if you have multiple workshops of same kind. I think that the game distributes the jobs between workshops and after a while checks if they are done. If not, it adds them to to queue. Seems to me that in does not really check if there is enough jobs in the queues yet, so it generates too many jobs.
Also sometimes it is not possible to make exactly the number you ordered - for example from one log the orc will make several (3? 4? do not really rememeber) planks.

Vattic, I would check two things - do you have a stockpile with enabled crops and set minimum AND are the crops ready (harvest is in autumn)?

Very useful feature you may miss - do not cut down trees, unleass you need space to build. Designate them instead and set some minimum of logs in a stockpile. When they run out of logs, goblins will go and cut a few trees.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2010, 12:13:25 pm »

If I'd just waited a few more minutes, it was late summer, the harvest would have begun. My worry was that I had a food shortage problem and didn't want to waste any food. Now I have more food than I know what to do with. They are well fed.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2010, 12:21:20 pm »

A weaver is essential to the food industry...  ???
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]