Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anyone know of a great Strategy Game? Tactical, Cooperative, Strategic.  (Read 5356 times)

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love Dwarf Fortress, don't get me wrong, but everyone needs their fix of PvP competition sometimes.. :P.

I tried asking on Yahoo Answers but no avail... I'm hoping you guys would have an answer.

This is an excerpt from my Yahoo Answers Question:

A Complex and Totally Tactical Massive Multiplayer Real-time Strategy Game?
I'm looking for a MMORTS game, but my preferable spectrum is very narrow.

I like complex games; impressively complex ones; such as Dwarf Fortress. With more complexity comes more variety, guaranteeing that almost every person/unit will be different from one another. Graphics aren't a necessity, as long as the contents and gameplay are top-notch. A game where I can spend hours on wiki, just researching what to do, and how to do it. The more complex, the better! Complexity leads to variety and tactics, and that's what I'm really looking for.

An added bonus would be magnitude. I'm looking for a game of epic proportions, figuratively, of course. I want to be able to, let's say, order a fleet of a hundred units to totally conquer/invade/massacre a planet/area/realm. With that said, it would be pretty awesome to find a game with a moderate if not large player-base...

I've been really into the whole sci-fi/space, conquering planets and seizing resources thing, but I'd gladly look at any and all games you guys have to know ;].

Please and Thank you!

Graphics, browser, text, ascii, it does not matter. As long as it's free, has the specifications above (Or at least some of them) and is plenty of fun ! :D

I've been playing Cosmic Supremacy...and it's great (I've come to really like the whole empire-building tick system, but don't let that deter you from specifying otherwise), but I just wished I could find a game with more of a populace.

Are there any space MMORTS existing today that consists of a persistent (ever-expanding, even while you're offline), massive world, with complexity parallel if not dwarfing Dwarf Fortress a little?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 12:42:13 am by xDarkz »

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AI War fleet - command by arcen games.
http://www.arcengames.com/aiwar_features.php

It is not a MMO, but apparently quite complex and really coop oriented. Not free though, but made by independants, which means people likely to be more driven by passion than big companies.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MMO and complexity don't mix. Complexity means more flaws, meaning more people would be breaking the game in a competitive setting. That ruins the game for everyone. A good multiplayer game is a bit like chess, very simple rules, but a millions of different moves you can do with those rules when facing other people.

Cyber Nations - Dumb game mechanics. But it's probably the best political simulator out there. A lot of people take the game seriously, you'll see nerdrage, but if you like realistic politics, this is the one for you. It's also a great game to hang around and chill with people.

Neptune's Pride - It goes down to the very basics of 4x gameplay, and IMO, it does a great job at it. You focus less on the tiny details like lasers vs missiles, and more on the big picture. This one depends very heavily on teamwork, you'll find that the people who form a galactic alliance has a large lead over the small sovereign empires.

Supremacy 1914 - A nice combo of complexity and simplicity. And probably the most polished one too. Vanilla version is dumbed down a little, but you can get more advanced settings, better AI, historical setting, more unit types if you pay.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Illyriad (my referral link). The basic premise is similar to Tribal Wars, but with the added complexity of additional game mechanics, i.e. troops can be organised into armies led by commanders (who level up as they do more killing) and sent to attack, siege, or blockade enemy settlements or reinforce a 'tile' on the world map; players can claim sovereign tiles outside their settlements (imagine cities in Civilization) to increase production rate; use of diplomatic units to scout, spy, sabotage enemy settlements or kill enemy commanders.

The fact that we have Slaves to Armok (StA) alliance in this game is a testament of how good it is. Contact Aelfric or Akura in-game to receive an invite.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MMO and complexity don't mix. Complexity means more flaws, meaning more people would be breaking the game in a competitive setting. That ruins the game for everyone. A good multiplayer game is a bit like chess, very simple rules, but a millions of different moves you can do with those rules when facing other people.

Cyber Nations - Dumb game mechanics. But it's probably the best political simulator out there. A lot of people take the game seriously, you'll see nerdrage, but if you like realistic politics, this is the one for you. It's also a great game to hang around and chill with people.

Neptune's Pride - It goes down to the very basics of 4x gameplay, and IMO, it does a great job at it. You focus less on the tiny details like lasers vs missiles, and more on the big picture. This one depends very heavily on teamwork, you'll find that the people who form a galactic alliance has a large lead over the small sovereign empires.

Supremacy 1914 - A nice combo of complexity and simplicity. And probably the most polished one too. Vanilla version is dumbed down a little, but you can get more advanced settings, better AI, historical setting, more unit types if you pay.

Wow Muz, many thanks for the impressive set of games you've introduced me to! Straight to the point, Neptune's Pride is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I'm a big fan of 4x gameplay, even more so if it has a map/viewer(as in Cosmic Supremacy) that displays your actions through the course of the game. It doesn't look like it's population is all the big either as there are like ten people on right now. Is it likely to improve in the prime-time? Do you know any other games that fit this description? Thanks again man!

@ BuriBuriZaemon
Sounds pretty impressive! Thank you for the link! I will check it out right now. It should be interesting based on what you'd described, ESPECIALLY in regards to the combat system, hehehehe. Thank you again :D. - Clicks link -

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, NP's still quite small, not really a bad thing, IMO. Of those three, I only recently started playing it. It looks quite new, can't find any articles on it from before 2010, but looks like it'll pick up after a while.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile

Neptune's Pride looks pretty interesting, for sure. It might deserve a thread of it's own, if anyone's played enough.

How active is Bay12 on Illyriad? I had played this when it first came out, but never stuck with it as it was mostly a solo operation.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

Neptune's Pride looks pretty interesting, for sure. It might deserve a thread of it's own, if anyone's played enough.

How active is Bay12 on Illyriad? I had played this when it first came out, but never stuck with it as it was mostly a solo operation.

Neptune's Pride has a thread. It is pretty fun, I have played about 10 games and have a premium membership. If I want to occupy more of my time, I play 2 or 3 games at the same time. This game is all about cooperation.
I got nothing

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just over half of our 45 members are inactive, most more than 30 days so.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Navyfield

"Welcome to Navy Field; a massively multiplayer online tactics simulation game based on World War II naval warfare by SD EnterNet."

Gameplay video

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile

Alright, concerning Neptune's Pride, I just joined the newbie game here: http://np.ironhelmet.com/detail?game=10635448

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile

Beyond Protocol. The ship designer was freaking ridiculous in complexity, almost requiring an engineering degree. You could take base metals, with certain properties, such as malleability or acid resistance, and mix them together to make alloys.

Land battle and space battle are integrated, with ships able to launch orbital bombardment.

You can launch espionage missions, taking special agents and assigning them.

You do have to pay a subscription, but it's a huge game.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a new MMORPRTSG out (MMO Role Play Real Time Strategy Game), well new cause I only just noticed its banners on the Webcomics I visit, I think its called Soulcraft or something...
Let me go check...

Ah can't find it, but I think its a meh...

Have a look for Dreamlords though... Thats spos to be good...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:52:28 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aurora?

There's a huge thread somewhere in here of the game (and how hard the learning curve is) but I can't be arsed to link it.

It isn't hard to grasp the basics - how to start a game
Everything else to learn is to be done in a way that suits you. I personally just guessed my way around the empire whilst looking on the forums/wiki for any specific answers

It's a brilliantly complex game if you have a 1280x1024 capable monitor OR WinXP and a 1280x1024 capable GFX card (WinXP has screen-scrolling (or whatever to proper name for it is) and that's how I play it)

It is huge scale
4X!
Multiplayer support (I think, not too sure on that one)
The Ship-Designing can be a lot of fun

There's more, but I reckon you'd best take a look for yourself first.

And you could perhaps read an AAR before playing (You know, to get into the mood)