Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Syndrome survival side-effect  (Read 14096 times)

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Syndrome survival side-effect
« on: August 25, 2010, 01:50:46 pm »

So I had a FB spray my legendary speardwarf with some... FB goo or something. Dust I think. Anyway, he caught the flesh-rotting syndrome. I figure it's time to find a new militia commander, but I don't have the heart to take it away from him while he's laying in the hospital rotting away. I look away for a while, mopping up FB blood, overseeing some minor things, and he's up and around, as are all the other military dwarves who were sprayed with the stuff. I look in their description and apparently my epic doctor cut away all the rotting flesh, including the eyeballs, carefully and sewed up the wounds, leaving them blind and apparently immune to pain. They also moved a little faster since the doc cut away a lot of flesh, and are covered in stitches and scars. They succeeded in slaying every FB after that and never caught another syndrome. Except dying when I unleashed SPOILERS.

Anyone else had a dwarf survive a syndrome with similar effects? Or was this an alliterative aberration?

Tale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Syndrome survival side-effect
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 01:54:07 pm »

Blind dwarves?  Did they have any trouble with that at all?

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:59:31 pm »

The idea of having a military force that's had their eyes removed and is covered from head to toe with massive amounts of scar tissue  and are also complete and utter badasses is like something you'd see from an epic, 300-style fantasy movie.

This is awesome.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 02:00:47 pm »

Blind dwarves?  Did they have any trouble with that at all?

Not so you'd notice, though they had to practically run into enemies to find them. After that it was chunky salsa time though.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 02:14:05 pm »

[NOPAIN] no gain.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 03:32:55 pm »

Epic. I guess the necrosis rotted away all their sensory nerves. I wonder if this is something you could replicate by modding in a syndrome that only rots nervous tissue and intentionally exposing your dwarves to it.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 03:43:23 pm »

I think that would rot the motor nerves, too, so your dwarfs wouldn't be able to move anymore.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 05:33:41 pm »

:o

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 05:34:35 pm »

This is how my standard soldier looks nowadays:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Except the missing hand, this is just for kicks. ;)

My Fortress was also attacked by a deadly dust FB. The military dispatched it pretty easily but not before it infected my entire axedwarf squad with the rot. At first only their livers were rotten and they bled all over the floor while stumbling into the hospital beds. Soon every single part of the body was rotten and swollen with blood. The medical staff went to work and my chief medical dwarf diagnosed that every body part had advanced rot and needed surgery (in addition to the usual stuff). A lot of work and finally some experience for my docs. :D
I thought at least. Here comes the strange thing: After my surgeon removed rotten tissue from the upper lip of the dwarves they all got rediagnosed and suddenly the surgery treatment for all the other parts were gone. Also the rot and swollen by blood descriptions were gone. Looks like the surgeon really knows his job...  :o
I was pretty surprised when they were good to go again and went straight back to training. I didn't expect any of them to live. My soldiers may looks like a mess but they function properly again. The only thing that stayed for all dwarves except the wounds is the rotten liver. Poor sods. Still doesn't stop them to get drunk all the time... :D

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 05:38:46 pm »

Sounds like a less awesome version of The Nameless One.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 07:21:43 pm »

You should of made them catapult operators.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Rimbecano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 09:24:10 pm »

This sounds suspicious to me: It is common knowledge that the iron livers of the dwarves cannot rot. No forgotten beast can match the cirrhosis-inspiring fury of decade upon decade of dwarven ale.  :P

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 09:30:40 pm »

I guess the infection had some kind of queen in the upper lip and once that it was removed the rest of the infection died.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 09:31:13 pm »

This sounds suspicious to me: It is common knowledge that the iron livers of the dwarves cannot rot. No forgotten beast can match the cirrhosis-inspiring fury of decade upon decade of dwarven ale.  :P

Don't be ridiculous.  Dwarven livers do not process alcohol, they're needed to process that vile substance known as "water".  Dwarven biology is a complex thing, largely maintained by the fermented extracts of plants.  A simple compound like water is too pure for their bodies to process, hence why their liver has to dilute it with massive quantities of stored-up alcohol.  Woe betide that poor Dwarf if she ever runs out of booze to drink and has to turn to H2O...
Sanity is for the weak.

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 10:03:59 pm »

Don't be ridiculous.  Dwarven livers do not process alcohol, they're needed to process that vile substance known as "water".  Dwarven biology is a complex thing, largely maintained by the fermented extracts of plants.  A simple compound like water is too pure for their bodies to process, hence why their liver has to dilute it with massive quantities of stored-up alcohol.  Woe betide that poor Dwarf if she ever runs out of booze to drink and has to turn to H2O...

Tis a Dwarven Curse to wish Water upon thy enemies, something like "May all yer Ale Barrels run dry and yer tongue always taste water."
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.
Pages: [1] 2 3