Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilizations?  (Read 1245 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Civilizations?
« on: December 19, 2010, 08:24:57 pm »

Before an embark, it lists the civilizations which are nearby. I have noticed that some of them have dotted lines next to them. I have also noticed under civilizations menu, that some civilizations weren't listed on the embark window (my last fort died in part because I didn't realize there were goblins 'til it was too late).

1. What do the dotted lines mean?
2. Is this a glitch? If not, why is it like this?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Civilizations?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:31:06 pm »

Eternal hostility, basically.

This is different from a state of war carried over from world gen, in which case "War" would have been written instead.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 08:53:02 pm »

As darkflagrance says, the red dotted line next to a civilization name pre-embark means that that race is hostile towards your people. It is usually claimed that if you're at WAR with a civ instead of just hostile to it, more enemies will come from it faster, though exactly how much faster isn't known.

The civ screen once you've embarked is different from the civ list pre-embark. That screen shows only the civilizations that have been on your map before. The civ list pre-embark, on the other hand, lists all races that have access to the spot you're surveying for embarkation. As such, there will only very rarely be a civilization besides dwarves on the civ screen immediately after you embark, as only the dwarves and possibly an underground animal-man civilization will have been present, but as time passes kobolds, elves, goblins, and humans will show up there as they come visit. This is expected behavior, and though that doesn't necessarily stop it from being a glitch it probably isn't.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:43:03 pm »

It's basically a placeholder until Toady puts more war- and diplomacy- related stuff in Fortress Mode so you're almost guaranteed to have an enemy civilization. Babysnatcher civilizations like Goblins are forced to be hostile to non-babysnatching civs. Otherwise you'd need a civilization you're at regular war with in order to get sieges.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.