Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coal?  (Read 1422 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coal?
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:34:59 pm »

So... has ANYONE found coal in 19?

If so, please share how to find, as I haven't found any, anywhere, in over a dozen worlds.

About half my current world has one mineral or less, add another half with no/very few trees (yes, they do overlap), and the chances of developing a mining/smelting industry are so slight as to be annoying...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Coal?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:52:57 pm »

Find magma. Then burn trees for steel.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 09:58:44 pm »

I have spent many hours embarking in various places, and have yet to find any sign of lignite or coal.  I am not sure what is going on, but maybe toady pulled it to ensure some amount of rarity of resources to promote trading.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:05:48 pm »

I have spent many hours embarking in various places, and have yet to find any sign of lignite or coal.

At least not on my own embark sides - but I had a few maps where my parent civ had access to lignite or bit.coal ... so it must be somewhere in those worlds... But as I am always embarking on a side with a volcano + woodland - I just need that - coal for trade and enough trees to support me during the early days of my fortress.
But yes, the (compared to previous builds) lack of metals and even more rare fossile-fuel sides are really noticeable for .19 - even to the extend that I would wish for peat as another kind of fuel (alike to the genesis mod - let us sample, press&dry it and rejoice - I am not even thinking about Petroleum as another fluid to be added)

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 10:32:15 pm »

I have a site currently with tetrahedrite and bit. coal, throughout a layer of dolomite. Foothill of a mountain, shallow metals + flux on site finder. My last site had no fuel, no metal and barely any gems, though - it's definitely all scarce.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:40:20 pm »

Coal is a valued trade good now. I recommend modding lignite or even bitumous coal to be cluster minerals instead of veinous minerals (far more realistic, actually, since it forms in beds and not magma flowing into fault lines). Once you get it, you've got a ton. Also consider that shallow metals+flux stone is your best shot at the old dwarven steel mill fortress. Shallow metals is code for igneous extrusive (usually mafic lavas) and deep metals is code for igneous intrusive (felsic magma). Although Toady doesn't deliberately track magma types or volcanism (how I wish he did) in worldgen, it still turns out to largely work in-game.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 10:42:22 pm »

Both coal and lignite are classed as metals.  You get one, you're losing a slot that might have an iron ore or something.  Personally, burn the forest down and the hippies who want to defend it for steel.

I'm still surprised that my current civilization has lignite.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 12:17:34 am »

wood logs are fairly light so you can request some from mountainhome, rather than lignite or bituminous coal stone.
and when your trade intensifies with elves and humen further, they would sometimes bring wood as well, mostly elves.
so it's not really a big problem before you breach to magma.
some of the mods have a workshop called 'charcoal furnace' providing reaction producing 2 bars of charcoal with one log, which is quite realistic

unless, of course if you are settling in a sand desert with aquifer layers. harsh start guaranteed.

timco35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 02:30:31 am »

I'm feeling the coal crunch pretty bad myself having clear cut my map several times.  I shouldn't complain though because I'm glad enough to have both iron and marble.  I'd rather have a gimped fuel production than beg for flux.  And there's always recycling.

A little off topic though, I embarked (foolishly) this time without checking what civs I would be at war with and after the 2nd year I've been getting sieged almost relentlessly by Elves riding war tigers, elephants, and non war types of  horse, alligators and salt water crocs.  Each siege is about 3-4 bands of 20ish Elves and their mounts.  Just took me a little off guard at first since my military and defenses were thrown together during the first siege.  My few dwarves that were lucky enough to have steel blades where cutting through them like grass.  Too bad I didn't have metal armor production though and a wooden arrow in the face took down more than a few of my steel wielders.  By my second seige my main 10 soldiers had at least some steel armor and both them and my fort guards all had steel weapons.

Metal rationing has kind of made the game more challenging and fun. 

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 04:52:06 am »

Well, more challenging is one way of looking at it.  I still have issues getting all dwarves in steel in 31.18, unless the stars align properly.

I guess the biggest disappointment comes from dolomite/limestone.  In 18, they WILL have lots of goodies, including iron, in all forms and coal.  In 19 I've mass mined out multiple layers, and the best I got was one layer with an awful lot of yellow opal. No minerals of any kind whatsoever.  When I finally got my magma smelters going, I only had gold to smelt, and not much of that...

I've gone back to my last fortress in 18, and after a week trying out 19, it's like Christmas has come early.  In one layer I've found 4 different minerals, 5 types of gem and caverns.  And I feel I can focus on mining, smelting and forging this metal, rather than searching fruitlessly.

To each their own.  If I'm running at 16 FPS with 95 dwarves on a replacement computer, I at least need something happening to relieve the monotony...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.