Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Things you didn't know about until recently.  (Read 21411 times)

The Yellow Peril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you didn't know about until recently.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 06:58:54 am »

That can you attach (N)otes to levers.

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 07:47:14 am »

That you could see the date by pushing 'Z'...before I used the military schedule and babies to estimate.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 06:13:35 pm »

I just figured out how to coordinate troop patrols.

The command screens of DF are like exploring the Winchester House in the dark with no flashlight.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 08:55:46 pm »

A few things (since I'm so new to DF :D ):

• putting a garbage dump next to a channeled tile means the dwarves stand in the dump square and throw the stuff into the channel ... whether you want them too or not.
  • orders in the manager screen take precedence over orders in the workshop screen (e.g., set the mason's to repeat build stone blocks, then use j -> m -> q to add orders for rock chairs, tables, etc).
  • forbidding one unit of coke means you won't have to find wood to turn into charcoal to get your lignite/bituminous coal -> coke production going again if you smelt too much ore at once
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 02:01:16 pm »

I just realized after playing years that even though wild underground plants all show as 'shrub' when you press k and move the cursor over them, you can tell what kind of plant they are from the color.  Blue for dimple cup, red for sweet pod, purple for plump helmet, etc.  This means I can tell my herbalist to only gather the plants I'm interested in and not get useless dimple cups cluttering up my plant stockpile.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 08:02:54 am »

... useless dimple cups cluttering up my plant stockpile.

All my dimple cups get milled with the rest of the millable plants, then the dye sits around until I decided to dye all that abandoned elf cloth lying around  ;)

I just learned that building an up staircase on top of a mined out up-down staircase seals the opening from the bottom but leaves the stairs usable.  Sorry Sarvesh, I didn't notice you starving down there with no way out...
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

LizardKing

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXP:0]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 09:15:51 am »

Bins.

Oh my god I love bins.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 02:35:47 pm »

I just realized that the scene at the very end of the intro movie is a dwarf mining adamantine, breaching the HFS, and getting engulfed in flames. Seriously, go watch it. It made absolutely no sense before I figured that out.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 04:38:52 pm »

Didnt realise an animal had to be stray to turn it into a waranimal.

Shaka Adim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 04:45:06 pm »

that elves demand you to set a limit of trees you are choping or they won't trade. thats in the newest version. and that you can say no :D

Site

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 05:05:56 pm »

I just realized that the scene at the very end of the intro movie is a dwarf mining adamantine, breaching the HFS, and getting engulfed in flames. Seriously, go watch it. It made absolutely no sense before I figured that out.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 05:10:08 pm »

That featherwood, true to it's name, weighs less than any other wood (Only like 5 Urists, as opposed to the standard 25-30 Urists per log).

Not really practical, but a cool little touch :)
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 05:56:26 pm »

Material weight affects how much stuff made from it weighs, which affects how fast the dwarf lugging it around can move.

So Beds, Bins, & Barrels made from Featherwood can be transported around your Fortress faster than those made from Blood Thorn or Glumprong (which both have densities in excess off 1100% higher).

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 07:31:46 pm »

Only just accidentally discovered the 'road to the capital screen' showing what you need to do to become the capital. I think it was noble screen then 'c' but trying it now I cant get it to work :/

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 08:05:40 pm »

By smelting gold ore and tetrahedrite separately you potentially get the materials for both rose gold and electrum. While not necessarily increasing the value, this does increase the number of total bars you are able to make since 1 out of 5 times you get a bar of silver from tetrahedrite.  This is good for when you're more concerned about the quantity of resources you have than the quality, like when you're making all your bins and barrels out of metal.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10