Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Things you didn't know about until recently.  (Read 21567 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you didn't know about until recently.
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 08:21:22 pm »

Found out a new one yesterday ...

It only takes four spear-goblins to wipe out a 39-dwarf outpost guarded by a wardog (no experience, tied up at the entrance), a hunter with decent marksdwarf skills, and a hunting dog (that once ripped the head off a mountain goat! :o).  Defenses are your friend, and thinking you'll only face the occasional child-snatcher in the spring of the second year is being fatally optimistic.

BTW, that hunting dog was the only being other than the gobos that did anything effective ... the gobo he attacked was almost killed, and had numerous broken bones and damaged organs.  Too bad a second spear-gobo lanced his lungs and brought him down before he could kill the first one he attacked.  :-[

[edit for spelling, because i can't]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:04:55 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:59 pm »

By smelting gold ore and tetrahedrite separately you potentially get the materials for both rose gold and electrum. While not necessarily increasing the value, this does increase the number of total bars you are able to make since 1 out of 5 times you get a bar of silver from tetrahedrite.  This is good for when you're more concerned about the quantity of resources you have than the quality, like when you're making all your bins and barrels out of metal.

If you're going for electrum, you'd get FAR more bars of it by smelting it directly from the ore (you can use Tetrahedrite in the reaction).  If you're only going for rose gold, then it would be much easier to add in a better silver ore to smelt into bars.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 08:56:27 pm »

By smelting gold ore and tetrahedrite separately you potentially get the materials for both rose gold and electrum. While not necessarily increasing the value, this does increase the number of total bars you are able to make since 1 out of 5 times you get a bar of silver from tetrahedrite.  This is good for when you're more concerned about the quantity of resources you have than the quality, like when you're making all your bins and barrels out of metal.

If you're going for electrum, you'd get FAR more bars of it by smelting it directly from the ore (you can use Tetrahedrite in the reaction).  If you're only going for rose gold, then it would be much easier to add in a better silver ore to smelt into bars.

You don't get more, you just get it faster.  If the only silver ore you have is tetrahedrite then you're wasting the copper that comes with it that could be used for making bronze.  It's a trade off but I think the net result for smelting it separately is slightly greater.  But really it all depends on your situation.  If you ever come across a site that has almost no tetrahedrite(rare, but it's happened to me before) you'll understand.

On a similar note, one other thing I discovered recently is marble is highly rich is malachite, an ore of copper.  If you have a site with marble then maybe it really is a better idea to go ahead and smelt that tetrahedrite into electrum.  From now on I'm making sure my embark sites have both granite and marble to ensure plenty of resources for bronze.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 10:12:12 pm »

...what?  It does get you more.  If you make bars, then you have a 1 in 5 chance of getting the silver you need for electrum.  If you just use ore, then you have a 100% chance of getting the electrum, and you save 2 units of fuel (if you don't have magma).

And if you have marble, you should be going for steel anyway.  Even if you don't have iron, goblins do.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 12:13:58 am »

...what?  It does get you more.  If you make bars, then you have a 1 in 5 chance of getting the silver you need for electrum.  If you just use ore, then you have a 100% chance of getting the electrum, and you save 2 units of fuel (if you don't have magma).

And if you have marble, you should be going for steel anyway.  Even if you don't have iron, goblins do.

As I said, quantity, not quality.  There's a 1 in 5 chance you will get both silver and copper.  Which means more raw material for things that aren't too important.  If you already have a good source for copper it's definitely better to just use the tetrahedrite to make electrum.

And I don't do steel.  Too much of a pain in the ass to make.  Bronze works just fine.  Mix two ores and you're done.  If I need anything made from steel I trade for it.  And if you're gonna go for steel you might as well go straight for the blue stuff.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 02:20:07 am »

To get the most value out of tetradehyte, you'd use it to make billon after smelting all other silver ores, including galena.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 03:16:12 am »

I had an unexpected goblin raid today, and my ridiculous cage trap tendencies netted me three of the seven, and the remaining four were devoured by zombie deer.

Zombie Bambi is hardcore.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 03:18:47 am »

I just learned that their is an init option that turns on "Dwarven bathroom needs"

And you just learned that I am lying :D

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 04:10:19 am »

I just learned how to set up the Alerts. So, so useful. I welcome the newer, better "Everybody Inside" command.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 06:48:14 am »

As I said, quantity, not quality.  There's a 1 in 5 chance you will get both silver and copper.  Which means more raw material for things that aren't too important.  If you already have a good source for copper it's definitely better to just use the tetrahedrite to make electrum.

And I don't do steel.  Too much of a pain in the ass to make.  Bronze works just fine.  Mix two ores and you're done.  If I need anything made from steel I trade for it.  And if you're gonna go for steel you might as well go straight for the blue stuff.

Alright, for some reason I wasn't getting that Tetrahedrite was your only copper ore.  My bad.

Also, Steel isn't really that bad if you have magma or coal, you just make some charcoal as you need it for magma and just pump out the coke if you have coal.  Then it's just two more steps than bronze for a far better material.  Also, why would you "might as well go for the blue stuff?"  Funmetal takes much longer to process and has a chance of killing your fortress.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2010, 07:06:41 am »

If you're going for quantity you probably shouldn't be bothering with rose gold or electrum.  And galena is probably better if all you care about is quantity. (Netting you on average 1.5 bars/ore instead of 1.2)

Also: I also just learned that dumps adjacent to pit--they don't even need to be channeled; mine was on a hill--will result in the junk getting thrown in the pit rather than put on the dump square.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2010, 01:15:00 pm »

Another thing I learned, you don't need very much bismuth to make a lot of bismuth bronze.  A cluster of 4 bismuth ore will net you 16 bismuth bronze.  This can help out a lot when your supply of tin is low as the bismuth essentially replaces half the tin in the reaction.  This isn't a faster way to get bronze but is more efficient at extending resources.  Cassiterite can be pretty elusive at times.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 08:59:22 pm »

When doing constructions, you can use z or Z to deselect materials.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 01:16:52 pm »

If you don't have any plants or trees on the map, you don't need woodcutters or herbalists...

Now what to do with those other 4 dwarves who AREN'T mining?

Ugh...
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2010, 06:07:36 pm »

If you don't have any plants or trees on the map, you don't need woodcutters or herbalists...

Now what to do with those other 4 dwarves who AREN'T mining?

Ugh...

have them wall off the caverns. And then farm them. And make rock mugs.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10