Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Things you didn't know about until recently.  (Read 21561 times)

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things you didn't know about until recently.
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2010, 02:28:24 pm »

[20:15] <Tommy> question on University Challenge: "What is the name given to any gem-quality corundum that is not red?"
[20:15] <Tommy> I knew it was sapphire instantly, then wondered why the hell I know that
[20:15] <Tommy> Then I realised it's DF's fault
[20:17] <Tommy> and that I'd read exactly that on the wiki a couple of weeks ago
[20:23] <Rhenaya> df: learning stuff you never wanted to know
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2010, 03:14:17 pm »

War bears and war cheetahs...

endorfin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2010, 04:12:14 pm »

An archery range isn't a barracks for marksdwarves.  To get them to train properly, you need a barracks as well.  Also, every single target has to be made into a range and assigned to the squad you want to shoot at it.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2010, 08:00:07 pm »

Apparently if enough human siegers wander into your adamantine disc traps the human liaison will request peace at his next visit.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2010, 08:35:18 pm »

Apparently if enough human siegers wander into your adamantine disc traps the human liaison will request peace at his next visit.

Those traps are probably the most valuable things in your fortress.

Also, if that liaison walked past those traps any future human siegers will not set them off.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2010, 08:43:33 pm »

Also, if that liaison walked past those traps any future human siegers will not set them off.

...unless you move them each over one step.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2010, 09:22:52 pm »

Actually you can just deconstruct and rebuild each trap and it'll be good as new.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2010, 11:17:26 pm »

That explains why the human siegers in a previous fortress walked right past them.  This is a bug right?  I'd hate to think that was a feature.

rouninjae

• Bay Watcher
  • Happiness is a warm dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2010, 12:58:02 am »

I finally figured out how wild animals keep getting loose...  trading them at the depot is bugged; as soon as a dwarf grabs their cage, the critter is set loose.

Mildly annoying with unicorns; genuine Fun with cave crocs, herds of elk birds, and giant rats.

you can stop this from happening by choosing the animals you want to trade from the pets list instead of from the "all" list (or any other list for that matter).  I forget how I found this out, but it works fine for me this way.

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2010, 04:47:44 am »

That explains why the human siegers in a previous fortress walked right past them.  This is a bug right?  I'd hate to think that was a feature.

It's a feature, as far as I know - the diplomat has to be able to see the traps to know how to avoid them, so he can easily pass the info on to his cohorts.  Obviously goblins don't have the same advantage, as they rarely send anything so civilised as a diplomat.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2010, 08:37:36 am »

An archery range isn't a barracks for marksdwarves.  To get them to train properly, you need a barracks as well.  Also, every single target has to be made into a range and assigned to the squad you want to shoot at it.
This is dangerously false. You can get marksdwarves to train without a barracks perfectly fine. In fact, adding a barracks will reduce their training speed as they will try and start dodging (or god forbid, wrestling) demonstrations when they should be at archery practice.

The second part is true, though. You need each archery target designated as it's own archery range.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2010, 10:57:24 am »

That dwarfs can plunge through around 100 z-levels of magma before melting
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2010, 11:24:02 am »

You're lucky they melt at all: mine drown...

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2010, 01:07:50 pm »

Sounds like you have TEMPERATURE turned of in the init file.  I once had a puppy get trapped in the magma of my magma forges, and he grew up stuck at one of the holes in the floor before I remembered to turn TEMP back on for a while.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2010, 02:43:38 pm »

Sounds like you have TEMPERATURE turned of in the init file.  I once had a puppy get trapped in the magma of my magma forges, and he grew up stuck at one of the holes in the floor before I remembered to turn TEMP back on for a while.
nope. there's been a rash of "dwarves not melting in the magma" reports. I especially like the one where he killed 4 fire creatures before drowning, with the blood on his steel armor boiling around him.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10