Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Things you didn't know about until recently.  (Read 21410 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Re: Things you didn't know about until recently.
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2010, 06:51:35 pm »

Nope, I hid my caverns away under ungodly quantities of rock-layers. I probably won't get there until I dig another 200 layers down.

Pretty much they're just hauling stuff... My OCD Demands it.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2010, 07:09:33 pm »

If you don't have any plants or trees on the map, you don't need woodcutters or herbalists...

Until you get to the caverns.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2010, 07:52:38 pm »

...that strip ming can be done 2 layers at a time, instead of one, in the same amount if time.

...that just because DF2010 is new and improved, doenst mean my carpal tunnel will go away  *ouch

...that I have serious OCD.

...a good way to make sure you have enough bags for your fort is to embark with 50+ sand bags, each costing 1 dwarf buck (versus a minimum of 10 for an empty one at embark), and will skill up your furnace worker, glassmaker, and gem cutter all at once.

...that a whole lot of other people are discovering things I still havent discovered.

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2010, 07:59:48 pm »

If you don't have any plants or trees on the map, you don't need woodcutters or herbalists...

Until you get to the caverns.

The caverns that I hid Far, Far Away.

Never to be seen, until I am bored of 5 FPS, and breach the HFS to end it all.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2010, 08:05:52 pm »

I just realized that the scene at the very end of the intro movie is a dwarf mining adamantine, breaching the HFS, and getting engulfed in flames. Seriously, go watch it. It made absolutely no sense before I figured that out.

sorry to disapoint, but it actually is not.  it is a scene from the 2D days, when the layout was always:  cliff-face > cave river > chasm > magma.

if you watch the video, you will see it pass each of those features -- bridging over the cave river and chasm (with bats, which would sometimes come from there) and breaching the magma river which would (about half the time) overflow when you first tapped it.

you could only cross the magma river with a steel bridge, and figuring out how to make steel was part of the chalenge.  There was adamantine back then, but demons came out of pits that were before the adamintine, not after it. 

Mining the adamantine started a counter which ended your fortress.  you could go back in adventure mode and fight the epic demon that came out of the adamantine, but there was no option to face it in fortress mode.  it was nearly impossible to kill but, like most things, you could totally punk it with a legendary thrower and a live worm.

random guardian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2010, 08:14:40 pm »

I just realized that the scene at the very end of the intro movie is a dwarf mining adamantine, breaching the HFS, and getting engulfed in flames. Seriously, go watch it. It made absolutely no sense before I figured that out.

sorry to disapoint, but it actually is not.  it is a scene from the 2D days, when the layout was always:  cliff-face > cave river > chasm > magma.
darn! I always thought that it was his face exploding in a bloody mess by HFS! the magma river being breached is alot less epic though...

besides I am very shure that what you said is true but how dose the pick fall many floors below and the dwarf looks around in the cave before he gets engulfed in magma?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 08:18:51 pm by random guardian »
You see a youtube comment you dont agree with. As you type out an insult against the users mother a member of your family watches you. Fed up with your addiction to youtube and spouting random swears at people who didnt enjoy your Naruto AMV, the family member grabs your head and rams it into the screen of your computer butchering your face and electricuting you to death.

It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2010, 08:45:24 pm »

You can get ivory from the fallen corpse of a undead warthogs via butchering them. Also that wooden training axes can be used for wood cutting.
On any other forum my name would be considered dirty

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2010, 09:16:18 pm »

Locked doors completely break pathfinding of ambushes.  I have a 10+ yr fortress that I've been keeping save with one locked door (no drawbridge) from goblins and skeletal elephants.  Haven't had a siege yet, though...

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2010, 09:43:45 pm »

The trolls from seiges will destroy your doors immediatly. So get your defenses up.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2010, 09:47:42 pm »

I thought skeletal enemies had building destroyer as well?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2010, 10:09:02 pm »

I actually thought they had a secondary BD tag that only allows them to demolish wooden buildings.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2010, 10:17:58 pm »

I actually thought they had a secondary BD tag that only allows them to demolish wooden buildings.
They can only demolish supports, wooden doors, wooden floor hatches, and all supports, all statues, all windows, and all archery targets.
It's the same tag that trolls have

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2010, 10:20:06 pm »

They can only demolish supports, wooden doors, wooden floor hatches, and all supports, all statues, all windows, and all archery targets.
It's the same tag that trolls have
Skeletal creatures have [BUILDINGDESTROYER:1], limiting them to wooden furniture and such.

Trolls have [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2].  They can, and will, destroy stone and metal doors and anything else short of constructions.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2010, 10:37:52 pm »

Ah, I was under the illusion that all undead enemies automatically get building destroyer 2.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2010, 11:32:04 pm »

They all get 1. Sorry!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10