Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The duplicate raws thread  (Read 4176 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
The duplicate raws thread
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:32:26 am »

So what wacky things have happened while you were playing with duplicate raws?Steel ore people?fish cities?

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: The duplicate raws thread
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:27 am »

+Human silk sock+
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 10:26:18 am »

I used to play adventure mode with the old 40d Mega Mix mod.  Some versions of the Mega Mix mod had duplicate raw issues, although it was hard to tell in that version.  When my Hippoman adventurer with his tentacle demon and gnome followers, wielding a tritanium sword and wearing cave fish silk pants encountered the dragon civilization, it was actually the mod working as intended.  What did tell me there was a duplicate raw bug in action was the glittering rainbow gemstone dust all over the ground in some areas.  In 40d when you have duplicate raws you would sometimes come across areas where the ground was made up of glowing dots that were constantly changing color.  If you went to one of these patches and tried to pick up items, you'd find the ground was made of the dust of dozens of different kinds of gemstones, and every time you look at the ground which gems were present would change.  A very strange bug.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 03:48:23 pm »

A very strange bug.
I still don't understand why having duplicate raws would make the game decide to go crazy. Shimmering ground, bat silk earrings, plump helmet anvils, dwarves bringing pet elephants and bronze colossi along for their embark.

My favorite is bringing unicorns for embark.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:08:33 pm »

I still don't understand why having duplicate raws would make the game decide to go crazy. Shimmering ground, bat silk earrings, plump helmet anvils, dwarves bringing pet elephants and bronze colossi along for their embark.
I read on forums theory that duplicate raws moves everything after that by one place or something like that.

In fact, I find it surprising that parsing engine does not scream about duplicated entries and do not crash (usually) after something like that.

Detection of duplications should be easiest thing in world. I can only speculate that Toady ommited verification of this on purpose. Well played, sir.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 05:10:05 pm »

I read on forums theory that duplicate raws moves everything after that by one place or something like that.

In fact, I find it surprising that parsing engine does not scream about duplicated entries and do not crash (usually) after something like that.

Detection of duplications should be easiest thing in world. I can only speculate that Toady ommited verification of this on purpose. Well played, sir.

Interesting, I now wonder what would happen if your Hippos were to strike HFS in a duplicate raws world.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 06:27:20 pm »

I'm paraphrasing, but I think this quote is appropriate.

Apparently duplicate raws make the game say "Oh! Duplicate creatures! Nothing makes sense now! Crocodiles live in Houses!"

That being said, I had one duplicate raw issue that just made my dwarfs Hippopotamuses.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 06:30:38 pm »

I used to play adventure mode with the old 40d Mega Mix mod.  Some versions of the Mega Mix mod had duplicate raw issues, although it was hard to tell in that version.  When my Hippoman adventurer with his tentacle demon and gnome followers, wielding a tritanium sword and wearing cave fish silk pants encountered the dragon civilization, it was actually the mod working as intended.  What did tell me there was a duplicate raw bug in action was the glittering rainbow gemstone dust all over the ground in some areas.  In 40d when you have duplicate raws you would sometimes come across areas where the ground was made up of glowing dots that were constantly changing color.  If you went to one of these patches and tried to pick up items, you'd find the ground was made of the dust of dozens of different kinds of gemstones, and every time you look at the ground which gems were present would change.  A very strange bug.

So yeah, duplicate raws make dwarf fortress barf out unicorn dust.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:57:10 pm »

I just had the floor flash with every material in the game, im off to see what happens if I mine it!you can also have an ice pick and an ice anvil  :o
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:01:20 pm by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 07:58:32 pm »

I just had the floor flash with every material in the game, im off to see what happens if I mine it!

Probably death.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 07:59:01 pm »

And a fatal crash.

random guardian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 08:23:47 pm »

Say I dont hope to interupt this threads flow but HOW do you achive duplicate raws. I tried copy pasting everything in the raw folder 5 times over but that dosent seem to work.    Thanks ;)
You see a youtube comment you dont agree with. As you type out an insult against the users mother a member of your family watches you. Fed up with your addiction to youtube and spouting random swears at people who didnt enjoy your Naruto AMV, the family member grabs your head and rams it into the screen of your computer butchering your face and electricuting you to death.

It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 08:31:53 pm »

Actually, when that happened to me, it just turned into rock.

Unfortunately.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 11:58:48 pm »

Copy one files raw then paste it about halfway through anothers and do this at least with 2 different raws and then create a new world or it WILL NOT work.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 01:40:47 am »

Duplicate raws?

What about Triplicate or Quadruplicate raws?
Pages: [1] 2