Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DF Architect -- Build your dream fortress with zero effort  (Read 27980 times)

Tiny_Puppy_Smasher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF Architect -- Build your dream fortress with zero effort
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 11:58:15 am »

So, I checked around in the thread and readme, but I couldn't see anything about this.

Is there a way to stop Architect? I plopped down that huuuuge fractal design, and halfway through, I realized I'd put my cursor two or three spaces down and to the right.

I wanted to stop it, go back and redesignate, but I realized with some minor horror, that I had no idea how to stop it.

Also, I think today I will try my hand at making a few designs I find myself often using.
Maybe.
If the wife doesn't decide she wants to try taming the unicorns we found on my map.  ::)

Hah, I did the same thing. Lack of an abort was a major design oversight. I'm working on a remedy.

Randomtask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 12:30:00 pm »

Awesome, glad to know I wasn't just completely missing something.

Additionally, I added a zip to dffd: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3018

It's these:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First content I've ever uploaded for Dwarf Fortress, so I hope someone finds it useful.

Tiny_Puppy_Smasher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 01:15:36 pm »

It should abort properly now. (I can't believe my solution worked, but it does.)
Depending on the complexity of the design, it should now designate anywhere from 2 to 5 times more quickly.

There's a few minor bugs I'm still squashing, but I should have a new release out later today.

Edit: Random, those are JPEG images. Provided that the pixels you want to dig remain 0,0,0 black, it should still work, but JPEG introduces noise artifacts that could potentially break the algorithm. It will ignore them for the most part, but if noise is introduced that alters the black to something other than 0,0,0 or if noise has an RGB value that corresponds to a designation type, your script will be corrupted.

It's better to use BMP images.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 01:47:49 pm by Tiny_Puppy_Smasher »

Randomtask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 02:13:48 pm »

It should abort properly now. (I can't believe my solution worked, but it does.)
Depending on the complexity of the design, it should now designate anywhere from 2 to 5 times more quickly.

There's a few minor bugs I'm still squashing, but I should have a new release out later today.

Edit: Random, those are JPEG images. Provided that the pixels you want to dig remain 0,0,0 black, it should still work, but JPEG introduces noise artifacts that could potentially break the algorithm. It will ignore them for the most part, but if noise is introduced that alters the black to something other than 0,0,0 or if noise has an RGB value that corresponds to a designation type, your script will be corrupted.

It's better to use BMP images.

They just uploaded to photobucket like that. The zip on DFFD has BMPs. I was just throwing them up there to show what they look like.

But I'll see if I can change them anyway, because people will probably try to download them individually.

Edit: Yeah, photobucket automatically converts them. But the zip is still correct.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 02:18:31 pm by Randomtask »

Roughshot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 04:03:48 pm »

Hi, I'm trying out your program for the first time today and was wondering what you use to make the BMP images you're uploading.

Tiny_Puppy_Smasher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 04:15:06 pm »

Hi, I'm trying out your program for the first time today and was wondering what you use to make the BMP images you're uploading.

Personally I'm using Photoshop. I realize most people don't have that, though.

Paint (installed by default in Windows) can use the pencil tool and save to 24-bit BMP.
Gimp is free and can do the same thing, with a bit more control.
Paint.net should be able to save bitmaps, but I've personally never tried it.

Any program that you can zoom up close and paint single pixels at a time will work.

Randomtask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 04:19:17 pm »

When I decided to give this a go, I downloaded Pixelformer.

It's free, and kind of like photoshop geared towards BMPs.

Can be a little complicated to use if you aren't computer savvy, though.

Tiny_Puppy_Smasher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 04:44:58 pm »

Scratch that. New problem -- Works perfectly from inside the IDE, doesn't work when exported. Sorry for the technical difficulties...
Working on it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:54:48 pm by Tiny_Puppy_Smasher »

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 09:45:49 am »

Do we have a place where these designs can be uploaded and viewed? I say this because as people start converting designs for this, it's much easier to just load it to a website that lets you see the design then download, then having to download to see the design. And there is a TON of possibilities for this amazing program (as seen by the huge fractal design now in my fortress [after 3 retries, one where I designated too close to the map and two where I moved the mouse right at the beginning of designation and had to watch in horror as it proceeded to close, shift, and mess with every window I tried to use, including task manager!])

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 04:50:22 pm »

Pretty sure you could make a page on the wiki and post the images on there.
Diggy diggy hole.

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 10:38:24 pm »

Great idea, I've added an entry into the Utilities section and will perhaps make a new DF Architect specific page to link to instead of this thread, but it will have to do for now.

Bharani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 10:17:19 pm »

Great utility. Had a fun time going through the bedroom design page and modifying the images to work with Architect. It's what I've always wanted!

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 07:24:05 pm »

Uhm, where do I go to download this?  The link to dffd just gives me a file with some housing bmps.....

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 12:01:23 am »

Any particular reason the link's been removed?
Also known as Zuhayr.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 07:53:07 pm »

Ok, So, with Google and a little persistence I was able to find the download.  It is below if anyone needs this.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3004

I am having a problem with it however.  Whenever I Designate it sometimes starts from my index location and it sometimes starts from one square below (down from) my index location.  Sure makes lining things up difficult.  I am wondering if I am doing something wrong...Is there a special order I need do do things in other than the obvious?  Some God of aligned staircases I should be praying to?

Anyway, Thanks for a very helpful program.  Even if I have to Start and Stop it 4 or 5 times it is still faster than drawing everything over and over again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3