Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Physical Gods  (Read 10550 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Physical Gods
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 12:51:57 am »

What.

That's Helios or Hyperion you're thinking about; Apollo is merely the sun god in juxtaposition to Artemis' moon goddess nature. Helios, I believe, draws the chariot of the sun, while Hyperion is the god of light. Apollo was the god of healing, inasmuch as his son was the first doctor.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 01:05:29 am »

What.

That's Helios or Hyperion you're thinking about; Apollo is merely the sun god in juxtaposition to Artemis' moon goddess nature. Helios, I believe, draws the chariot of the sun, while Hyperion is the god of light. Apollo was the god of healing, inasmuch as his son was the first doctor.

Ehh, the Greek mythology has been jumbled around this giant bowl of soup so much I wouldn't doubt it.

But my statement still stands >_>

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 02:35:13 am »

If this ever actually gets implemented it'll be a race to see who can encase their god in obsidian first.

Urist McFaithful was shocked at a deicide recently.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 02:47:46 am »

If this ever actually gets implemented it'll be a race to see who can encase their god in obsidian first.

It would be sort of disapointing if gods could fall for such simple tricks.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 02:53:39 am »

It would be sort of disapointing if gods could fall for such simple tricks.

It's hardly a "simple trick".

"MAGMA DOTH NOT WORK THAT WAarglbargle"
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 03:02:27 am »

When Magma is as common as Water or Air and is as easy to control as silly puddy, dropping magma on someone is around the equivilant of saying "Look! a wall!" as a distraction.

Besides Dwarf Fortress Magma is common Videogame Red Water
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:08:22 am by Neonivek »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 08:09:04 am »

They influenced the outcome of war but weren't required for War.

Unlike Apollo for example who was strictly required for the sun to rise (or someone who could take his place, which apperantly is difficult even for a Demigod).

Umm... I'm failing to see your point, here.  When I said that some spheres have duties around them that work like jobs to counter what you said about "spheres are more affinities than jobs", this somehow turned into you arguing "some jobs are more important than others".  I wouldn't have said anything different, I just wanted to say that spheres may (or may not) have certain duties associated with them. 

Maybe a pregnancy goddess is not necessary for every pregnancy to occur, but she would ensure the safety of mother and child in an otherwise very risky action - it was essentially a cointoss whether the mother would survive childbirth in those days.  So no, she doesn't HAVE to watch over every pregnancy, but it is a duty she has to watch over many, especially of those who pray to her, as it directly relates to how much worship she gets, and the power of her sphere.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 08:26:33 am »

Apologies for making this thread 'sentient', but I have another god-related suggestion.

Have RAW files which allow you to have gods in every world you gen, for each civ. So, as an example:

deities_standard.txt

[DEITY:ARMOK]
[NAME:Armok:Armok's] - no plurals.
[WORSHIPPED_BY_ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] - specifies an entity which worships this god. Multiple entites should be specifiable. A tag on a creature should also be able to force that creature to worship a god, like [WORSHIPS:ARMOK].
[SPHERE:war]
[SPHERE:death]
[SPHERE:fortresses]

And one for the Warhammer mod fans.

[DEITY:LADY_OF_THE_LAKE]
[NAME:Lady of the Lake:Lady of the Lake's]
[WORSHIPPED_BY_ENTITY:CHIVALROUS]
[SPHERE:honour]
[SPHERE:courage]
[SPHERE:nobility]
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 10:20:02 am »

Mmmm... I guess having the ability to specify exact deities is OK, although it kind of ruins the surprise of random procedural stuff, so long as random procedural stuff still exists...

Although what I was kind of hoping for would be to recreate the plotline of Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism.

First, you find a dead avian sun god, and feed it to a hell raven to make her a nuclear-powered hell raven with the rediculously awesome superpower of "Nuclear Fusion", giving her the power to generate suns, and throw them at people.  This should also turn the hell raven/demon into a humanoid form, while you're at it, preferably with a big, red, Sauron-like eye in her chest.

Second, hand off the job of "taming" the hell raven onto some shmuck of an adventurer who now has to save the world from the monster you created, then left to run amok.  This adventurer must literally venture into (one of the) Hell(s), fighting off absurd numbers of unrelated demons, to find the hell raven, and defeat her in single combat.  This takes not only absurd amounts of convection shmonvection for the ability to fly through the mantle of the planet to get to (with only a complaint about how unseasonably warm it is in the Hell of Blazing Fires) the hell raven, but then, having to stage a fight where the adventurer must continually dodge the suns the hell raven generates by flying through the corona of the suns, somehow dodging the heat and light and even radiation they eminate.  (Perfect playthrough demonstration of this found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQLIaZUOnBU (actual fight starts at 2:06) very impressive, you should watch it.)

Third, take the "tamed" psuedo-goddess, and stick her in a cage or a bottle or something, and turn her into a nuclear fusion reactor just so you can brag about how you just did someting those stupid humans and their "modern techonology" couldn't do, by making a working fusion reactor.  Then use it as a handwave excuse to power all sorts of electrical equipment you steal from the modern human world so that you can start introducing characters later on who have cell phones.

(Sorry to bring up Touhou fairly often, but I like Touhou for the stupidly over-the-top crap they do, and it really sounds more like the stuff that dwarves would do (or, at least, funnier) than much of real mythology, which was mostly about sex and rape and revenge for rape, anyway.) (edit: Well, actually, I kind of dislike regular mythology since I tend to feel really sorry for most of the monsters, many of which were unwanted and abandoned children or else normal human women who were "punished" for being raped by having their entire families slaughtered and being transformed into monsters for "heroes" to come along and kill.  At least Touhou ends with them sipping tea.)

Now, in order to do this, however, we need the ability to defeat gods without killing them, though, which sort of leads to the whole "gods shoudln't die from cheap tricks like obsidian casting" thing.  Maybe it could be something like a Lich's phylactery, where killing a god physically just makes them vulnerable to having their true power source destroyed, where they will come back if you don't actually take that final step.  (So you can bring them down to vulnerability, and then force them to share power or bind them in your service rather than outright destroying them.)

Of course, that would require some sort of special exemption from "deletion" mechanics, like obsidian casting or cave-ins.  Even if we allow cave-ins to be fatal, there would still need to be a way for some object to remain nearby, or a way of saying "there's something inside this obsidian wall". 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:22:44 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 02:39:06 pm »

When I said that some spheres have duties around them that work like jobs to counter what you said about "spheres are more affinities than jobs", this somehow turned into you arguing "some jobs are more important than others".

It is more that Ares and Athena have an interest in war then an actual job. They arn't required for it to happen nor are they obligated to do so.

War is more like their hobby except they have legitimate dietific power. In otherwords they have the War Sphere but not the War duty.

While Hades actually has a job and duty and he is required for it to function.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2010, 06:01:59 pm »

Maybe they don't have to intervene in every war, but they are aware, at least, of every war, and their job is determining whether they do or don't support it.  Their support or lack of support in wars is their defining features, which is why they are war gods.  It's just that, unlike Ra, they can say, "Nope, don't feel like it today.  You guys didn't sacrifice enough to satisfy me."

If you want to get really technical, then I guess they're gods under contract, and only accept jobs from the highest bidder, or personal friends, as opposed to salaried gods.

Regardless, even just having a serious role in the war, even if that role is not to do anything to help, they have more than just an "affinity" for war; They have a profound influence.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 09:26:21 am »

Oh, another trait of physical gods is that they quite often have the ability to go around changing shape, taking on new forms and traits, and outright possessing things... And those-I guess you'd call them "god costumes"-can sometimes take on a life of their own.

Drop magma on a physical god, and instead of doing Him any harm, you might end up with ArglBargl, Lord of Divine Magma--a related but separate aspect of whatever god you were trying to destroy. In the meantime, the original god might be slowed down or even trapped for a while but almost certainly isn't gone for good (Typhon was struck by lightning, multiple times, and then buried under an entire active volcano, and he/it's still around to this day, according to myth. Gods and related beings are forces of Nature, they aren't destroyed by them.).

So, now you've got two enemy gods, for the price of one.

Also, the magma itself might harden into some kind of magical obsidian, due to it's contact with the god.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 2 [3]