Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crowd Mafia! [0/-]  (Read 2116 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Crowd Mafia! [0/-]
« on: August 27, 2010, 01:27:17 am »

To begin with, this is vanilla mafia. The only big difference is that it is huge, hopefully.
I am prepared to undertake a Mafia of this size, but obviously replacements might be hard to come by, so if you go inactive, you'll probably be out.

For roles- Seeing as this is a huge game, we will have:
Townie:
Cop- At night can investigate a person to see if they are town or mafia.
Doctor- At night can protect a person from getting nightkilled.
Vigilante- Can make a nightkill per night.
Sherlock- Can investigate a person at night, to see who they kill or who they are killed by.
Masons- A group of people who know that the others are townies. Can talk at night.

Mafia:
Godfather- When investigated by a cop, will show as Townie, rather than Mafia. If investigated by a Sherlock while making a Night Kill, a different mafia will be implicated.
Roleblocker- Stops an extra role from using an action.
Bruiser- Can make an extra NK at night, but is unable to talk to the other mafia.
Forger- Chooses a player at night. At the end of the next day, if that person is town, they will have one extra vote on them. If the person is Mafia, they will have one less vote.
Role cop- Can investigate a person at night to see their role.

Plus one secret role.

People of all experience levels are welcome to play. If you don't know how to play Mafia, read the tutorial, or the OP of one of the Beginner Mafia's.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Crowd Mafia! [0/-]
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 01:38:44 am »

In! (you said all skill levels, and I just missed the beginner's mafia)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 06:12:09 am »

To begin with, this is vanilla mafia. The only big difference is that it is huge, hopefully.
I am prepared to undertake a Mafia of this size, but obviously replacements might be hard to come by, so if you go inactive, you'll probably be out.

For roles- Seeing as this is a huge game, we will have:
Townie:
Cop- At night can investigate a person to see if they are town or mafia.
Doctor- At night can protect a person from getting nightkilled.
Vigilante- Can make a nightkill per night.
Sherlock- Can investigate a person at night, to see who they kill or who they are killed by.
Masons- A group of people who know that the others are townies. Can talk at night.

Mafia:
Godfather- When investigated by a cop, will show as Townie, rather than Mafia. If investigated by a Sherlock while making a Night Kill, a different mafia will be implicated.
Roleblocker- Stops an extra role from using an action.
Bruiser- Can make an extra NK at night, but is unable to talk to the other mafia.
Forger- Chooses a player at night. At the end of the next day, if that person is town, they will have one extra vote on them. If the person is Mafia, they will have one less vote.
Role cop- Can investigate a person at night to see their role.

Plus one secret role.

People of all experience levels are welcome to play. If you don't know how to play Mafia, read the tutorial, or the OP of one of the Beginner Mafia's.
Couple of things I see:
Forger... Would always have another vote, or a good chance of having one, seeing as how the Mafia know who Mafia are.
Bruiser would be overpowered. MIGHTILY. Perhaps you'd want to change this to a Mafia-ally, who doesn't know who the mafia is, and the mafia do not know him.
Sherlock should be changed to Tracker (Watches who the target) or Sentry (Watches who targets them) or add both roles. Seeing who killed them or who they killed is both weak and powerful, as only a few people kill, but it's most likely the mafia. Especially with the Godfather thing, the Godfather CAN'T implicate anyone else, because it'll either look like: A) The Godfather killed the implicated person, or B) the implicated person tried to kill the Godfather. Then, the Sherlock would know TWO SCUM FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!
Cop needs some more obstacles with large groups. Such as sanities or a Frame Artist (Someone who makes someone else show up as Mafia to Cops). Otherwise, you'll have one guy confirm a large chunk of people with a minimum failures (1 possible false positive.)

Besides, you will probably only get 11 people. Tops. You're a newbie and this would be your first hosting game, so either you'll need to play more to know how to balance the game (I tried to help).

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:25:14 am »

Forger... Would always have another vote, or a good chance of having one, seeing as how the Mafia know who Mafia are.
That was my plan. It tips the scale a bit further towards the Mafia side, especially seeing as the cop is fully sane.
Bruiser would be overpowered. MIGHTILY. Perhaps you'd want to change this to a Mafia-ally, who doesn't know who the mafia is, and the mafia do not know him.
I planned that out so that a sherlock could find out about a bruiser easily, as he wouldn't be able to tell who it would be smart to kill or not. A great player could make it completely overpowered, but anyone of less talent would be likely to get himself or one of his pals lynched.
But that's a good Idea.
Sherlock should be changed to Tracker (Watches who the target) or Sentry (Watches who targets them) or add both roles. Seeing who killed them or who they killed is both weak and powerful, as only a few people kill, but it's most likely the mafia. Especially with the Godfather thing, the Godfather CAN'T implicate anyone else, because it'll either look like: A) The Godfather killed the implicated person, or B) the implicated person tried to kill the Godfather. Then, the Sherlock would know TWO SCUM FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!
I don't entirely understand the second part. The basic principle is, the Sherlock watches someone. If they get killed, then he knows who killed them. If they kill someone, then they know who they killed (which is useless, except to know that they can NK). This would help a lot against the bruiser and the mafia, but also means that they could accidently get a Vigilante lynched.
The way I was planning for the godfather to work, was that when I sent the PM saying 'you found out that 'X' killed your target', I'd instead randomnumbergenerate a different mafia member, and insert their name in.
Or would it be better to omit the name altogether?

Cop needs some more obstacles with large groups. Such as sanities or a Frame Artist (Someone who makes someone else show up as Mafia to Cops). Otherwise, you'll have one guy confirm a large chunk of people with a minimum failures (1 possible false positive.)
I was originally planning to have a slight chance of naive or paranoid Cops, but I thought it would unbalance the game too much- especially seeing as a lot of roles on the mafia side are effective at stopping cops, or at least killing them off quickly.[/quote]

Besides, you will probably only get 11 people. Tops. You're a newbie and this would be your first hosting game, so either you'll need to play more to know how to balance the game (I tried to help).
I'd hoped for a majority of people to give a 'what the hey, why not'- especially seeing as there's only one game open right now. I probably should have started with something similar, but I figured if I just hosted a vanilla game, but really, really big, I could still keep up with it. Hopefully I can tweak some better balance into it, so that it's a bit more attractive.

Thanks.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 07:27:09 am »

That was my plan. It tips the scale a bit further towards the Mafia side, especially seeing as the cop is fully sane.
Umm... Okay, except the Mafia are better prepared to deal with situations. Does the second vote show up on Day end or what? Just giving the Mafia an extra vote is like giving them another teammate.

I planned that out so that a sherlock could find out about a bruiser easily, as he wouldn't be able to tell who it would be smart to kill or not. A great player could make it completely overpowered, but anyone of less talent would be likely to get himself or one of his pals lynched.
But that's a good Idea.
No, the Sherlock will either hit or miss entirely. Either way, once the Sherlock claims, instant roleblock ensues, so the Bruiser just can't be offset with another role.

I don't entirely understand the second part. The basic principle is, the Sherlock watches someone. If they get killed, then he knows who killed them. If they kill someone, then they know who they killed (which is useless, except to know that they can NK). This would help a lot against the bruiser and the mafia, but also means that they could accidently get a Vigilante lynched.
The way I was planning for the godfather to work, was that when I sent the PM saying 'you found out that 'X' killed your target', I'd instead randomnumbergenerate a different mafia member, and insert their name in.
Or would it be better to omit the name altogether?
No, you see, no matter who pops up, you know that the player is a Godfather, because HIS NAME DIDN'T POP UP!

I was originally planning to have a slight chance of naive or paranoid Cops, but I thought it would unbalance the game too much- especially seeing as a lot of roles on the mafia side are effective at stopping cops, or at least killing them off quickly.
[/quote]
The Bruiser unbalances the game by itself. The Cop is just a possibility of unbalancing.

I'd hoped for a majority of people to give a 'what the hey, why not'- especially seeing as there's only one game open right now. I probably should have started with something similar, but I figured if I just hosted a vanilla game, but really, really big, I could still keep up with it. Hopefully I can tweak some better balance into it, so that it's a bit more attractive.

Thanks.
Not likely. We prefer known mods that do modding well.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 10:34:06 am »

For one, webadict's correct.  You're not going to get more than 11-13 people (at most).  The exception right now is Bring Your Own Trope Mafia which is having problems starting (probably because of the player load).

Also, there's a reason that there are Mafia Gametypes and Games Threshold and Discussion threads.  They allow you to sound out an idea before actually starting the game and see if there might be enough interest.

Finally, there's a tendency on this board to prefer the most basic setups (nothing more interesting than a Cop/Roleblocker/Doctor/Godfather, if that) or much more intricate/power role heavy setups (Paranormal, Vote, Supernatural, all of the BYORs).  Games in between tend to fall flat unfortunately.

All that being said, good luck, but I doubt that there are enough people left to get this off the ground.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 04:43:19 pm »

I'd hoped for a majority of people to give a 'what the hey, why not'- especially seeing as there's only one game open right now.
Not going to happen. You pretty much have to establish yourself as a good host nowadays before most people want to join your games. I especially don't join games hosted by people I've never seen play before (which basically means people I've never played with before).
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 04:58:09 pm »

Not going to happen. You pretty much have to establish yourself as a good host nowadays before most people want to join your games. I especially don't join games hosted by people I've never seen play before (which basically means people I've never played with before).

Yeah, pretty much.  Sorry, man... try again after you've played a couple of games?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 04:59:21 pm »

Yeah, pretty much.  Sorry, man... try again after you've played a couple of games?
I tried to break it to him lightly...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 07:11:07 pm »

This is good feedback, ja. I will play more games, and I will begin GM-ing on games that are far simpler.
I'll lock this for now, maybe I'll try again with it later on.