Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poisonville, yet another new GTA MMO  (Read 5264 times)

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poisonville, yet another new GTA MMO
« on: August 27, 2010, 07:26:40 am »

Interesting thing is that its got surprisingly good fully 3d graphics for a browser game. I couldn't try it out yet since there is some problem with my Java. Official site.

Trailer
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:42:00 pm by janekk »

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Poisonville, yet another new GTA MMO
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 08:04:28 am »

I'm off to reinstall Java to play this.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 08:07:57 am »

Any help files? I'd like to read those before getting into this.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 08:42:55 am »

Really nothing special, or even fun for that matter. It tries to be a literal GTA MMO. It takes the best of the franchise, the physics and freedom, and replaces them with generic MMO mechanics. Not even worth a look IMO.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:53:37 am »

Really nothing special, or even fun for that matter. It tries to be a literal GTA MMO. It takes the best of the franchise, the physics and freedom, and replaces them with generic MMO mechanics. Not even worth a look IMO.
This. It also sounds like something with a community of 10 year olds.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 10:17:23 am »

Wait, did you play it?

Replace physics and freedom with "generic MMO mechanics"? I'm not sure what does it mean. How do you replace physics with mmo mechanics? I'm confused.

Anyway is still can't update my Java because it refuses to connect where its supposed to connect so testing it will have to wait till I fix that damned thing.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 11:40:02 am »

Interestingly this is a game co-developed with Playboy. lol.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 12:26:43 pm »

Ironically, It's probably better than APB.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 12:47:48 pm »

Ironically, It's probably better than APB.

Doesn't take a lot to be better than APB though. They got so caught up in their customization tools they forgot to make a the rest of the game.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 01:26:43 pm »

Yep, way to ruin a game that could have been great. What is funny is that they used the Unreal Engine and somehow, they managed to kill all the smoothness that comes with that engine. They turned most commands (The only exception was character movement (not including crouch, crouch went through the stupid new scheme) and firing) into a 'client does->server accepts->client sees' bounce instead of the normal FPS 'client does & sees->server validates' that's oh so much better. That's the top reason of the game being so unplayable and driving being so fucked up.

/random rant

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 04:25:49 pm »

'client does->server accepts->client sees' bounce instead of the normal FPS 'client does & sees->server validates' that's oh so much better.
They just don't have any foresight.
That system works perfectly on a local network where you have 1-2ms pings, not-so-much over the interwebs where you have pings of 70-100.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 06:26:41 pm »

'client does->server accepts->client sees' bounce instead of the normal FPS 'client does & sees->server validates' that's oh so much better.
They just don't have any foresight.
That system works perfectly on a local network where you have 1-2ms pings, not-so-much over the interwebs where you have pings of 70-100.

Exactly. Anyone who knows anything about online communication knows that some form of immediate feedback + lag prediction is essential for smooth gameplay. Valve has the architecture for the Source engine explained here; an MMO is largely the same thing, but on a larger scale (your 'server' is probably several machines cooperating, but the client-server interaction should be nearly identical).

Of course, from what I've heard APB had far more problems than just lag... a few little things like 'balance' and 'gameplay' were kind of missing as well, or so I've heard.  ::)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 06:31:17 pm »

Yah, APB wasn't just shite because of Lag, although it did have some of the most hilariously bad lag in MMO history. The main problem for me was an utter dearth of game content. 2 small city areas with repetetive missions. That's it. That's the entire game. There's no progression beyond these areas or missions, just more of the same.

Heck, they shouldn't have had Lag that bad either, the servers were limited to 100 players in any given instance too. MAG has double that and has less lag. I've played 96 player ARMA maps where lag wasn't a noticeable problem, too.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 06:47:49 am »

Yah, APB wasn't just shite because of Lag, although it did have some of the most hilariously bad lag in MMO history. The main problem for me was an utter dearth of game content. 2 small city areas with repetetive missions. That's it. That's the entire game. There's no progression beyond these areas or missions, just more of the same.
Might as well play crimecraft then. Shitty as well, but at least free :D

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 06:54:14 am »

I'm giving up on trying this out. It just won't run. I have updated Java. I click start button, game loads and nothing happens, no error message at all or anything.
Pages: [1] 2