Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: Masters of magic.  (Read 27042 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Masters of magic.
« on: August 27, 2010, 03:46:28 pm »

You 6(for now, more might get in later... maybe) are the most recent graduates of the great Academy: The one and only school of magic in the world! What does this mean for your abilities? Well, it means you know a few words of power and how to cast spells with them. The mechanics, the ways in which the words interact to work magic... these things are kept secret, each mage jealously guarding his knowledge of magic's workings. From here on out, you're on your own. The Academy will allow you to continue living within it's walls for a time, but before long you will have to set out from here and try to make a name for yourself in the world outside.

Spoiler: starting words (click to show/hide)

Players:
Nirur Torir
Nivm
Kadzar
Armok
Virex
Techno65535
Poltifar
Neyvn

Waiting list:
Happerry
lemon10
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:09:59 pm by dragnar »
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of magic.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 03:51:31 pm »

You know I'm in, so chalk it down already!

Name: SHAD0Wdump(as usual)
Description: Don care.
Spells:
-rom|sur|ta
-da|tav|haz
-ka|sap|pan
-tor|ols|ta
-rom(nil)|sur(ols)|haz

These were mostly randomly generated, so I have no idea what is gonna happen.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:58:54 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 04:02:43 pm »

In!
Name: Hugehead
Spells: rom nil-sap fa-pan. ka da-qur tav-ta. da nil-sap qur-nil. rom-ols-da. da-fa-ta.
Method of above: E.X. rom=? nil=(?) -=l .=spell end
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 04:46:58 pm by Hugehead »
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 04:27:59 pm »

I must have in.

Name: Frederick XXII
Description: He is tall, thin, and wears his shoulder-length red hair in a ponytail.
Spells:
Nil|qur|pan
Tor|sap|haz
Ka|om|ta
Ka-da|ols-sur|haz
Nil-tor|sur-qur|pan

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 04:41:18 pm »

And that's all I need.(the other signups were from a different game I announced this in)

In!
Name: Hugehead
Spells: rom nil-sap ta-pan. ka da-qur nil-ta. ta haz-pan qur-nil. rom-nil-da. tor-rom-om.
Method of above: E.X. rom=? nil=(?) -=l .=spell end
Wrong format for the spells. The different punctuation is fine, but the words need to go in their own sections.(IE: the last word must be ta, haz, or pan, because those are the only ones from section 3.)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 04:44:02 pm »

Name: Kadzar
Description:This friendly man has almond-shaped brown eyes that are like two discs of wood. His thick, curly, chestnut hair is worn in a style that reminds you of a drifting cloud. He has a graceful build. His skin is pale. He has a weak chin and large feet. His wardrobe is mysterious, and is mostly violet and gray. (Thank you, Seventh Sanctum.)
Spells:
da(ka)|sap(fa)|ta
rom|ols|haz
da(tor)|qur(om)|pan
tor(rom)|ols(fa)|ta
nil|qur|pan
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 04:44:26 pm »

Ok, you didn't tell us that very clearly, I though those were the levels of the words.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 04:51:22 pm »

It does say section, not level.

Name: Croix
Description: Robes he wove himself, of half decent quality. Heavy boots. A unique face easily forgotten. Managed to be listed for public punishment in the academy four times, but no one was present for any of these events.
Spells: rom(ka)|fa(sur)|pan, tor(ka)|sap(sur)|ta, da(nil)|qur(ols)|haz, ka(rom)|om|pan, nil|tav(ols)|ta

Edit: Also, was the game inspired by this at all?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 04:54:39 pm by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 05:13:35 pm »

Want next spot, if say, someone dies.  ::) I intend to be quite analytical about spells.

Name: Tick
Description: Once ran afoul of a very powerful enchanter, and now is in the form of a talking watchdog. He looks similar to an Irish Wolfhound with a matte blond coat and a high quality Rolex for his watch. It constantly makes an annoying tock noise.
Spells:
Tor|Qur|Pan
Tor(da)|Qur(olm)|Pan
Tor|Qur|Haz
Tor(da)|Qur(olm)|Haz
Tor|Qur|Ta
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 05:19:13 pm »

If you want to play science, go play science, this is magic, we use what kind of spells we feel like!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 05:30:08 pm »

If you want to play science, go play science, this is magic, we use what kind of spells we feel like!
Well, the saying goes "Sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic." So, the inverse is also true. "Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from science."
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 05:42:48 pm »

I expect this game will encourage all of us to use careful analysis and intrigue. Reminiscent of the stereotype, those who don't will lose to the competition.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 05:56:08 pm »

Along the scientific line of thought ...
You can cast spells you have not studied while on adventures... but they aren't guaranteed to work, and you won't have time to set up magical safeguards(see rule 2).

Does this mean that they have a chance of misfiring, or is it more of a chance that we'll be trying to cast something that just does not work? IE, if we know how to cast fireball, and know the word for ice, will we be able to make a quick substitution and cast iceball without it failing, so long as it's a valid spell?

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 06:11:10 pm »

I think that's the case, but if you don't know what a word does... :P

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 06:38:32 pm »

Waiting list please.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25