Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25

Author Topic: Masters of magic.  (Read 27287 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of magic.
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »

And for those who where just waiting for the others to post..?
Not sure... Would you rather start over, or leave the magic system as-is and bring in some more people?(even if we start over you'll keep what you discovered in the mausoleum.)

It'll be a few days before I can start this up again either way, school just started. That's also why I haven't updated elemental RTD yet.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2010, 08:23:29 pm »

I would prefer we somehow brought in the old people, most of them anyway. Hm, how about a powerful magical accident(?) that kills all players who don't check in during the next two days. A slight change is scenery that accelerates some plots.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2010, 07:16:28 pm »

Alright, I've got enough work out of the way to get this started again. I've got a couple options for where to go from here:
1. We continue on as normal, the new players start out the same as the others did(though with the advantage of knowing all the magic explained in the thread)

2. The still-active old players travel to some far-away place, where the new ones are. Same magic system still, but better excuse to remove the inactive players.

3. Restart. The old players would have some starting advantage, but the word meanings for the basic school would be scrambled, so you would all have to start over. (Same basic system though, it's the only real way elementalism can work with the way I have things planned.)

4. Any other ideas?

Current player list(those who were still active/expressed interest):
Nivm
Nirur Torir
techno65535
RAM
Armok
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2010, 07:24:47 pm »

I would be happy enough with 1. It seems like the least effort and the basic school is likely to be fairly well-known. The real power is likely to be in the other schools anyway...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2010, 07:26:47 pm »

I would be happy enough with 1. It seems like the least effort and the basic school is likely to be fairly well-known. The real power is likely to be in the other schools anyway...
Yeah, elementalism is a lot of raw power, but not much control, and it's too tiring to use for long.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2010, 09:02:37 pm »

Hm, perhaps a bit of a combination.

5. The inactive players die miserably are sent off on their own somewhat important missions for the academy, and may return at a later date with some skill/knowledge gain (based on the other player's strength when they return). The new players (~late graduates) get the knowledge from the thread of course, but also free research (1-3 spells) from their broader study.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2010, 09:23:29 pm »

I vote system 3. A vocabulary wipe starts us off on nearly equal footing, and we get the fun of re-educating ourselves.

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2010, 01:44:46 am »

System 3 but also knowing the true meanings of a few of the words from the spells that we start with.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2010, 11:27:01 am »

either is fine with me, but I guess i vote 3.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2010, 03:35:11 pm »

Is there still place in here for my wizened nose? If so I would like to cast a vote for option 3.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2010, 05:00:34 pm »

Alright, looks like 3 wins. New setting(still a magical academy though), similar magic. Post characters/starting spells now!

For anyone who's curious:
Spoiler: old words (click to show/hide)

New words:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

New rules:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2010, 06:45:12 pm »

Complete Knowledge: Yek

Partial Knowledge: Te Ram

Spells:
An Ram Tez Manl
Zu Olg Rens

Name: Igniarli
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2010, 06:59:02 pm »

Name: Croix
Description: Leirc, the most snobbish student wizard in the academy, had suddenly started acting strangely, and locked himself in his room for two days. When he came out he had torn apart all of his expensive clothing to make clothing with his own hands, and he demanded he be called Croix from now on. The intense change in his looks, personality, and even some memory, were enough to convince all who met him again to use the new name. Many also believed that his clothing was far better than Leirc could ever manage, even if mediocre.
Spells: Should we make it mandatory to post these here, like it ended up being before? (Predit.)
 ra|olg(roc)(tez)|tarc
 ag|mev(yek)|manl
Knows: tez. Semi-knows: roc, yek.

Can I do research without the dais? Did the research I tried happen (even just the fiddly details)?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2010, 07:23:11 pm »

Can I do research without the dais? Did the research I tried happen (even just the fiddly details)?
I'll send you the research results along with your new starting spells, so your other knowledge isn't totally useless. And no, you don't need the dias.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2010, 07:59:03 pm »

Complete Knowledge: Roc

Partial Knowledge: ag quwn

Spells:
ra | RAM (RAM) (RAM) | rens
ag | RAM (roc) | quwn

Name: Ramirez

Dark cloak, dark clothes, hidden features, likes a good bout of muffled maniacal laughter from time to time...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25