Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Logging improvements  (Read 6621 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Logging improvements
« on: August 28, 2010, 08:35:40 am »

(This is mostly "selfish suggestion" because it is aimed to be usefull for one certain tool. But overall, it seems like good idea for game to be more chatty when anouncing things for people who like to recount history of fort later on for fanfiction stories or who could use some anouncements to be able to react to events that need reaction to. Besides, it does not seem like overly complicated thing to do for most of them.)

Okay, I suggest game log and anouncements to contain theese messages:

* When game is loaded, usefull to know what region/fortress is being logged for consecutive games.

Loaded game for <region name>, fortress <fortress name>. It is <season> of <year>, <month_date> <month>.

* When dwarf is marked as criminal by justice and overall justice messages. Player might want to react to this message.

<dwarf> was found guilty of <crime> and was sentenced for <punishment>.
<dwarf> was imprisoned.
<dwarf> was released from prison.

* Merchants provide unloading goods message, but not "ready to trade" message, which requires close watch on it. Anouncing the fact that player can start trading is usefull.

Merchants have finished unloading and are ready to trade.

* Siege end, purely for historical records.

<race> siege has been broken.

* Animal slaughtering message is a bit confusing because it is same as when animal gets killed by hostiles and knowledge that cat was slaughtered by player isntead of being killed by monster is usefull.

<animal> was slaughtered.

* Hostiles deaths are not logged at all - they should be logged as part of their combat log. Fun for grepping answer for "how many goblins did we kill?"

* Dwarven skill-ups and downs. I have chosen breakpoints after which low-quality products are impossible and first signs of rust so that player can react accrdingly (either ignore or queue some production).

<dwarf> has became Proficient <skill>.
<dwarf> has became Accomplished <skill>.
<dwarf> has became Legendary <skill>.

<dwarf> is now very rusty at <skill>.
<dwarf> forgot great deal of <skill>.

* Animal groups entering/leaving map should be anounced. Important-ish to tip off player that hunters will be doing their thing or that there are new targets for military live practice.

<species> wandered near fortress.
<species> have left.

* Total population after embark wave, for historical records.

There are now <number> <fortress_race> in our fortress.

* Dwarves getting to critical levels of hunger or thirst, somethign that player might want to know in case cosntriction worker walled himself off at inaccessible location.

* Mayor elections, ascendance from expedition-leader led community to mayor-led one. Just to record history better.

* Party ending, as players could want to be tipped off that workforce will be once again avaialble.

* Workshop construction being finished, so that player can immediatelly queue tasks.

<dwarfname> has finished construction of <workshopname>.

---

That's it for now.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:49:04 am by zwei »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Loging improvements
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 08:50:17 am »

Oh.  THAT kind of logging... I was expecting something about mechanisms for deforestation.

Someone had a similar thread recently, asking about making an announcement for when dwarves were becoming very hungry or very thirsty because he had dwarves get trapped, and didn't realize it, and wanted a warning for that.  You might want to addend that onto your list.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 04:00:59 am »

Oh.  THAT kind of logging... I was expecting something about mechanisms for deforestation.

Someone had a similar thread recently, asking about making an announcement for when dwarves were becoming very hungry or very thirsty because he had dwarves get trapped, and didn't realize it, and wanted a warning for that.  You might want to addend that onto your list.

That sounds reasonable as long as no extra "and has no access to food/drink" logic is requested

Shadowclaimer

• Bay Watcher
  • Looks like cat for dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 05:29:46 am »

Do want, so badly! I have always wondered why these kinds of things didn't appear in the logs. Instead i get three thousand "job item misplaced" messages and occasionally something useful (Migrants have arrived!)
Advanced Civilizations (0.40.X+)

Former creator of Metallurgy, Atum, Aquaculture, and Agriculture for Minecraft and Toxic Worlds for Starbound.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 09:25:56 am »

I can agree to your sentiment, but usually I try to stick around for when my dwarves are building something, especially when building upwards, so they don't get trapped

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 06:34:50 am »

I always missed the "<Dwarf> is now more experienced" messages from older versions. This suggestion, in addition to an "on/off" list of what messages are supposed to be displayed, would be great!

Item lost: Off
Siege: On
Ambush: Off

and so on and so forth. Would be wonderful!

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 09:46:29 pm »

Oh, Logging, I thought you misspelled Lodging.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 01:08:34 pm »

Someone said logging? :P

Anyway, while this may seem like a good idea, it should not go without improved functionality for the logs. If you're spammed with more messages there should be some good ways to filter them. Other then that, good ideas.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 03:16:30 am »

Anyway, while this may seem like a good idea, it should not go without improved functionality for the logs. If you're spammed with more messages there should be some good ways to filter them. Other then that, good ideas.

Technically, you are able to change log preferences, it is in init/announcements.txt - it does not have any anti-spam features however.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 12:10:09 pm »

I mean filtering out specific notification types, such as death announcements, combat messages et cetera. T ogling off the combat messages for a moment so you can find that "dangerous terrain" message shouldn't require messing around with the init files.

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 12:32:20 pm »

Agreed. What we really need are better ways to filter log messages. Ideally, the game could log all sorts of things and players could decide what they want to see on the fly.

I really like the idea of increasing the number and types of things logged, but until there are better ways to parse through the logs it'll make things even harder to find.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 06:31:03 am »

Added party ending to list.

I really like the idea of increasing the number and types of things logged, but until there are better ways to parse through the logs it'll make things even harder to find.

Well, anouncements.txt should help you filter our gobally whatever messages you find too distracting.

And, of course, you can have some tool read logs and do whatever with them, including filtering unimportant stuff.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Logging improvements
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 02:46:23 am »

Another idea : People might want to know that workshop construction has finished so that they can start queuing tasks asap.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 01:07:08 am »

A lot of good ideas here. I would agree with most of these suggestions.

In addition, I think the game log should register more events in Adventure Mode. Currently, many events in Adventure Mode are resolved in chat. I think events such as facing your quest target or encountering a megabeast should always be logged.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 01:31:59 pm »

These are some great logging suggestions!  I wholeheartedly approve.  Some of them seem a little superfluous, but I can also see why they'd be useful (and hey, it's not like we don't get superfluous messages already).

Hammerhand cancels post thread on forum:  thread lost or destroyed.
Hammerhand cancels Clean Self:  Area Inaccessible.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!
Pages: [1] 2