Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: New Poll Denies Existance of Wicca  (Read 20051 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
New Poll Denies Existance of Wicca
« on: August 28, 2010, 11:55:09 am »

MSN has an article about how Americans believe in silly things, and lists 'witches' as a silly thing to believe in. I'm sure my Wiccan neighbors appreciate being considered fictional constructs of superstition. I wonder if druids are also fictional constructs, because I'm sure my college roommate would love to hear that.

Also hard science degrees and nature worship seem like an odd combination. I should have asked him about that.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: New Poll Denies Existance of Wicca
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:57:15 am »

Links
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 11:57:20 am »

Your roommate's a druid? What's his Animal Companion?

Also, don't Wiccans prefer to be called...Wiccans? I've known Wiccans, never heard one identify as a "witch".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 12:06:25 pm »

MSN has an article about how Americans believe in silly things, and lists 'witches' as a silly thing to believe in. I'm sure my Wiccan neighbors appreciate being considered fictional constructs of superstition. I wonder if druids are also fictional constructs, because I'm sure my college roommate would love to hear that.

Also hard science degrees and nature worship seem like an odd combination. I should have asked him about that.

There are plenty of scientists who love nature, so its not too odd.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 12:10:31 pm »

Heh, I read (what I think is) the same article, but don't remember witches specifically.

Here's the one I saw:

http://www.newsweek.com/photo/2010/08/24/dumb-things-americans-believe.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:18:18 pm by Christes »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 12:29:32 pm »

A lot of these religions are mostly fictional constructs, to be fair. Actual druids weren't over-inclined to write anything. At all.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 12:32:36 pm »

Meh. Most of those thigns aren't about "belief in silly things" as much as mindboggling ignorance. (I mean, 20% think the sun revolves around the Earth?? Seriously? Elementary school science FAIL.)

As to the way it characterized "witches", I suppose you could ask, do people believe in:

A. People who practice a New Age religion which identifies itself with 'witchcraft'

vs.

B. People who can turn you into a newt. (You'll get better.)

I firmly believe in A (have my share of Wiccan friends), firmly disbelieve in B.

Also, despite the fact that most of said "silly things" make me facepalm, the author's editorial tone is that of a major douchebag.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 12:42:42 pm »

Spoiler: In Summary (click to show/hide)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 03:21:14 pm »

Wiccans, Druids and other newage religeons do seem quite silly to me actualy. All the more if they have a degree in science, as that would mean they have a lot of contradictionary convictions.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 03:27:22 pm »

Yea it frustrated me when I saw this. Isn't Christianity silly? Zombie jews are more ridiculous than some of the Wiccan beliefs. 

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 04:00:52 pm »

Heh, I read (what I think is) the same article, but don't remember witches specifically.

Here's the one I saw:

http://www.newsweek.com/photo/2010/08/24/dumb-things-americans-believe.html

OK, why the hell are so many people in a first world country that stupid? 20% believing that the Sun revolves around the Earth? 41% not knowing that Judaism is the oldest Abrahamic faith? Over half can't identify the countries they're at ware with? Seriously? Even a third world country like Brunei would do better. I heard of it, and thought it was some anti-American joke, but it's absurd for it to be that bad.

I can't call non-solid facts wrong, though. Obama is the only one who knows his own true religion (not that it should matter anyway). We don't know if there's WMDs in Iraq, whether or not we find them. Evolutionary theory, witchcraft, magic, ESP, ghosts, etc can't really be confirmed wrong, so they're not blatantly false.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 04:13:06 pm »

Yea it frustrated me when I saw this. Isn't Christianity silly? Zombie jews are more ridiculous than some of the Wiccan beliefs.

Well obviously when you deliberately cast it in a ridiculous light like "zombie jews" it does.

Anyway, yeah, America has dumb people, I wasn't aware we had a monopoly on them though.  Have any of these studies been replicated in other first world countries?
Shoes...

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 04:19:47 pm »

Probably polled 100 people in the backwater south. Can anybody give me the source on how many people where polled?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 04:25:17 pm »

Evolutionary theory, witchcraft, magic, ESP, ghosts, etc can't really be confirmed wrong, so they're not blatantly false.
Uhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm

Please redact

If it couldn't be proven false it would not be a viable scientific theory
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 04:46:30 pm »

Well obviously when you deliberately cast it in a ridiculous light like "zombie jews" it does.

Anyway, yeah, America has dumb people, I wasn't aware we had a monopoly on them though.  Have any of these studies been replicated in other first world countries?

But that's less funny, and the insulting America is like a security blanket for news sites.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11