Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: New Poll Denies Existance of Wicca  (Read 20037 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: New Poll Denies Existance of Wicca
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2011, 12:18:56 am »

There are very few people who associate Wicca with Witchcraft who are not either wiccans themselves or intentionally making the connection to be annoying.

This statement doesn't even make sense.

I can't even begin.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2011, 01:36:47 am »

I think he's saying that people don't correlate the concepts unless they're either Wiccans reappropriating the term "witchcraft", or people who call them "witches" in a derogatory manner.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2011, 02:08:14 am »

MSN has an article about how Americans believe in silly things, and lists 'witches' as a silly thing to believe in. I'm sure my Wiccan neighbors appreciate being considered fictional constructs of superstition. I wonder if druids are also fictional constructs, because I'm sure my college roommate would love to hear that.

Also hard science degrees and nature worship seem like an odd combination. I should have asked him about that.
Maybe the auther of this article is refering to witches as described by the church in the dark ages?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2011, 03:17:29 am »

That was my interpretation. You know, the kind from that one Jack Chick tract about Dungeons & Dragons.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2011, 04:17:32 am »

This thread reminds me of the fact that I know who Willfor is in real life.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2011, 07:10:56 am »

Wiccans, Druids and other newage religeons do seem quite silly to me actualy. All the more if they have a degree in science, as that would mean they have a lot of contradictionary convictions.

I think a Wiccan scientist is quite appropriate.

Take a light bulb back to the days electricity wasn't known of, and demonstrate it, the only thing people could describe it as would be magic and impossible.

The same would apply to some obscure space age technology being presented before we had developed it; that's magic!

Hello.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2011, 07:20:18 am »

Well, the problem I have with Wiccans is that they're some kind of batshit hippy new-age perversion of actual pagan beliefs, but that's just me.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2011, 07:35:34 am »

MSN has an article about how Americans believe in silly things, and lists 'witches' as a silly thing to believe in. I'm sure my Wiccan neighbors appreciate being considered fictional constructs of superstition. I wonder if druids are also fictional constructs, because I'm sure my college roommate would love to hear that.

Also hard science degrees and nature worship seem like an odd combination. I should have asked him about that.
Maybe the auther of this article is refering to witches as described by the church in the dark ages?
That would make the article the epitome of obsolensence. In any case, this suggestion that the respondees to the poll were superstitious rednecks believing in old hags and cauldrons instead of people, say, who's heard of Wicca from their old hippie friend in the 60's... well it is interesting to say the least, but entirely conjecture.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2011, 07:44:14 am »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a significant percentage of rednecks believed in old hags with cauldrons.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2011, 07:51:16 am »

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a significant percentage of Bosnians beleived in stereotypes.

Touche. And now for a disarming smiley face.  :D
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2011, 07:55:04 am »

Don't be so intolerant, my belief in stereotypes has more grounding in reality than Young Earth Creationism or whatever it is that you Americans believe in.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2011, 07:58:42 am »

You're right Nikov, your jokes do attract angry reactions more than most, even when they're obvious. It's starting to get strange.

Of course, DJ could be joking too but if he is he's being subtler about it. If he is, then I knew that, I was just joking!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2011, 07:58:55 am »

That would make the article the epitome of obsolensence. In any case, this suggestion that the respondees to the poll were superstitious rednecks believing in old hags and cauldrons instead of people, say, who's heard of Wicca from their old hippie friend in the 60's... well it is interesting to say the least, but entirely conjecture.

It can't be that hard to believe.  Speaking as someone who knew (I can't bring myself to say "hung out with") a couple of the stereotypical black-notebook Hot Topic "Wiccans" in high school, and saw how people reacted to them; very few people have ever heard of actual Wiccans, and even fewer know what it means or that there even is a distinction to honest modern druids.  I know that could be hard to grasp by somebody married to one, but it really is a bizarre and foreign anomaly to most people; a weird cult thing abnormal people get into to make themselves feel superior, like Scientology or Kabbalah but for outcast teenagers.  This has nothing to do with actual Wiccans, it's what most of the very few people who've heard the term more than once remember.

As for the study about people believing witches are real, a significant portion of Americans think honest to God, tangible angels walk amongst us.  Who knows what the witch people actually think they're referring to.  I've met more than a couple people who swear haunted house attractions at theme parks are the Devil's work, because glorifying the damned attracts evil.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:01:13 am by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2011, 08:01:08 am »

Of course, DJ could be joking too but if he is he's being subtler about it. If he is, then I knew that, I was just joking!
I just proclaimed that stereotyping is my religion, do I seriously need sarcasm tags with that?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2011, 08:04:46 am »

I just proclaimed that stereotyping is my religion, do I seriously need sarcasm tags with that?
Oh, I thought you just believed most stereotypes were accurate. Or something. The point stands even without you actually being annoyed, it's just a non-sequiter now, so that's all right.

It can't be that hard to believe.  Speaking as someone who knew (I can't bring myself to say "hung out with") a couple of the stereotypical black-notebook Hot Topic "Wiccans" in high school, and saw how people reacted to them; very few people have ever heard of actual Wiccans, and even fewer know what it means or that there even is a distinction to honest modern druids.  I know that could be hard to grasp by somebody married to one, but it really is a bizarre and foreign anomaly to most people; a weird cult thing abnormal people get into to make themselves feel superior, like Scientology or Kabbalah but for outcast teenagers.  This has nothing to do with actual Wiccans, it's what most of the very few people who've heard the term more than once remember.

As for the study about people believing witches are real, a significant portion of Americans think honest to God, tangible angels walk amongst us.  Who knows what the witch people actually think they're referring to.  I've met more than a couple people who swear haunted house attractions at theme parks are the Devil's work, because glorifying the damned attracts evil.
Well, I hear witches feature prominently in American politics.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11