Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: New Poll Denies Existance of Wicca  (Read 19855 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Poll Denies Existance of Wicca
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2010, 07:34:02 pm »

Last year our health teacher showed us how to put on a condom, among other things.
Rofl, I'm sure if a girl said someone had to use a condom, it'd take even the most dim person less than 10 seconds to find out how to put it on.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2010, 07:34:21 pm »

I was raised Wiccan, so I can attest that they're real.

But I guess it's technically less likely to believe in a Wiccan than a Christian considering it's only about 70 years old.

By the way, what are you people talking about, this thread is about Wicca not Catholics or evolution or not having sex.

In fact, abstinence and Wicca have nothing to do with each other, so gtfo.
Really? I thought Wiccans were against condoms.

Dunno where I heard it though. Can you confirm it?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2010, 07:35:10 pm »

I wouldn't trust anything you've heard about Wicca as it relates to sex. It's most often wrong, intentionally or otherwise.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2010, 07:36:40 pm »

That's what I would assume, just interested in confirming it.

I will also do some light Googling.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2010, 07:39:31 pm »

I know a decent amount of Wiccans, ranging from the 'don't ever have sex or do drugs' to 'don't ever stop having sex or doing drugs', their views on sex are about the same as the average non-stupid
While talking to AJ:

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2010, 07:50:42 pm »

Do non-Christian sects have huge issues with evolution? Do Hindi and Muslims have such an inflamed reaction to it?

Actually, having been brought up, this question interests me too.

By the way, what are you people talking about, this thread is about Wicca not Catholics or evolution or not having sex.

I thought this thread was about Americans not believing in witches.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2010, 07:53:29 pm »

I guess there might be a misconception there, since Wiccans spend a lot of time celebrating fertility and the like, but no, Wicca is not anti-condom. As a religion, it's actually very much geared to the left. It's not often you'll find Wiccans who are pro-lifers or who enjoy voting for the Conservative party. It draws heavily on older Celtic religions. The whole thing was thought up by a hippy and author from the early part of the 20th century (Gerald Gardner), but as a means of expressing spirituality, I think it does its job well.

My mother is doing a Ph. D in Sociology of Religion (she's focusing on Catholicism), and has read about Wicca in some of her academic jounrnals. It's actually true that the number of people who identify themself as Wiccan spikes every time some form of popular culture involving the occult comes out (including Harry Potter or Buffy the Vampire Slayer, of all things). It's also true that lots of people go into it for the sexuality aspect. But it's fun all around, and there are varying levels of belief and followings in the religion.

One of the people I remember from my youth-times is Sam Wagar, who was pulled out of an NDP riding in British Columbia after it was discovered he was a practicing witch. His kids got me into roleplaying games and forum roleplaying.

I haven't gone to any of the Gatherings (large events where all the pagans - including Wiccans, Norse Pagans, and other Celtic Pagan types - go to meet for a weekend every summer) in a few years now, but they were always great fun, and there were lots of nice people. I've picked up some talents like reading Tarot Cards, as well, which is always great at parties.

My father is a non-practicing Catholic, and my mother's parents and grandparents are all fairly devout Christians. She was raised Pentacostal.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2010, 07:55:24 pm »

My dad doesn't believe Wiccans actually exist, and my mom had never even heard of it before.

I personally have never met any Wiccans that I'm aware of.  I know tons of Protestants.  A few Catholics, Jews (Or is it Jewish People?), Muslims, Mormons, Hindus, and Buddhists.  I've probably met some Bahai Faith...ers too.

I don't have any problem believing it exists.  People will believe anything.  Given enough time some one will probably start believing in the flying spaghetti monster as well.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2010, 07:57:07 pm »

It might be a regional things. There are far less Wiccans in Eastern Canada than in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, for instance.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2010, 07:59:27 pm »

Wiccans sound like a great community to be part of. I mean, I know many, many good Catholics. But the preaching thing is always going to be part of that and I like to practice my faith on my own.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2010, 08:06:10 pm »

A lot of my 'Goth' friends claimed to be Wiccan. They were very fun-loving people, though, like everyone in the group at the time, they had a touch of the nerdy 'I know everything about everything'. It's more funny when the Christians have it.
While talking to AJ:

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2010, 08:07:11 pm »

Look, I didn't read this thread, but there is a poll that shows Chrisitans mixing New Age religious practices.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2010, 08:16:45 pm »

Last year our health teacher showed us how to put on a condom, among other things.

Fuck yeah! He gave you a demonstration? Woooo!

The funny thing was, the thing he was putting the condom he just pulled out of his ass, and the condom only fit on it after some effort.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2010, 08:18:22 pm »

I refuse to believe you're telling the truth, mostly because I'm eating.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2010, 08:21:33 pm »

I refuse to believe you're telling the truth, mostly because I'm eating.

Would i lie to you?

He grabbed his phallus literally right when we came in.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 08:23:44 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11