Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: New Poll Denies Existance of Wicca  (Read 20084 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Poll Denies Existance of Wicca
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 06:54:27 pm »

Ah, yes I meant history as taught in American Middle/Highschools. There was a little bit about North America in the 1600s, and then our glorious schism with the evil empire, how we borrowed some resources from our fellow man, and with a little intuition, we singlehandedly created every invention from 1800-1920 all by ourselves, and then we got involved in some petty war over in Europe, and then did so once again in a glorious saved-everyone-just-in-the-nick-of-time fashion, then Vietnam happened, and history was over. Some time between 1776 and 2000 we freed the black from...ourselves...and women started becoming important.

They didn't give much credit to anything happening outside the interest of the US, or really explain why our opposition had any reason to face us, aside from the Russians, who were of the Communist influence, and we laugh off how silly it was how we rivalled so much at the time.

You had to do some serious independent reading if you wanted to know what was going on in France, Australia, Germany, Spain, Italy, or Greece at the time. The only real mention of the Middle East was their shenanigans during 300BC.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 07:02:59 pm »

Bah, you're all in Texas.

Anyway, what percentage of Bay12'ers think Newsweek is a reliable source for percentages about controversial things?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 07:08:12 pm »

My ever-growing curiosity now wonders if there's a non-magical religion. Something plausible and re-creatable.

You are thinking of science.

(Not to pick on you or anything smigenboger, I mean it in the most non-antagonistic way.)

That debate is like the King of shitstorms.

Oh right, for a minute there I forgot that an offhand comment can start a heated argument on the interwebs. Forget I said that. There have been like fifty locked topics on that already.

Smigenboger : For some reason, American History sounds like a really entertaining course whenever someone describes it to me. In a smug, almost ironic sort of way.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 07:18:57 pm »

Don't worry, I'm not that flammable over the interwebs.

Yeah, the 'general public' will be working minimum wage jobs and trade school jobs, where high math and social studies won't really matter, so the school system focuses on being to write and speak, with a little bit of integrated science and government thrown into it. The first two years of college seem similar, but with more difficulty and responsibility added in. The people who need or want a higher education either go to specialized schools, or seek it out themselves.
While talking to AJ:

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2010, 07:21:05 pm »

Everyone who complains about history courses and hasn't taken A Beka curriculum is both a whiner and has no idea how bad a book can get.

Seriously.  Any historical figure who didn't fit the Fundamentalist Christian/Straight Republican mold was either glossed over or demonized, they even went as far as to present that "Voltaire's house was used to print Bibles after he died" thing as objective fact and acts like he was a committed atheist.  Both of those things are wrong.

And yeah, super americocentric, the whole thing, Biology was even worse because we had to deal with evolution.

Yeah, every book had a section on Evolution, probably even the math book.

Thankfully my school got their act together and started phasing out A Beka for another curriculum which was still evangelist Christian but much more chill about it.
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 07:25:12 pm »

I like our school. Our school is mega chill. My P.E. teacher told us to use safe-sex measures like condoms because to not do so would be "being a bloody idiot".

Also, so you know why that's such a big deal, our school is mega-Catholic as well.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2010, 07:27:20 pm »

Now, now, the Catholics allow using condoms nowadays. As long as you poke a hole in them to, and I quote, "Give God a chance."

Okay, so that joke was told me by one of my friends, a Jesuit. Jesuits are weird.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2010, 07:28:46 pm »

That was the other thing, big on abstinence only education.

Interestingly we seemed to be one of the only Christian schools that wasn't a hotbed of illicit doin'it just under the surface.  I dunno.

Anyway, yeah, kids are going to do it.  You can't prevent them, so you might as well teach them to do it safely.  Blithely ignoring this fact and insisting on abstinence only education is unbelievably retarded
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2010, 07:29:36 pm »

That is why this school is actually a great school. Go this school.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 07:30:46 pm »

Last year our health teacher showed us how to put on a condom, among other things.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 07:31:17 pm »

My school wasn't hyper-Christian, and the whole evolution lesson in Bio wasn't really that big of a deal. The teacher didn't do anything to make it less boring though...

Do non-Christian sects have huge issues with evolution? Do Hindi and Muslims have such an inflamed reaction to it?
While talking to AJ:

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2010, 07:31:27 pm »

Anyway, what percentage of Bay12'ers think Newsweek is a reliable source for percentages about controversial things?

Percentages, mmmmaaayyyybeee, because there's math behind that. Their track record for photo illustrations though means I take everything they say or print with a grain of salt. They have absolutely no problem "sexing up" visuals, there's no reason they wouldn't apply it to the written content just as aggressively.

and I quote, "Give God a chance."

Please tell me you engaged in an immediate theological debate about the power of God vs. 1/8" of rubber.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2010, 07:31:50 pm »

I was raised Wiccan, so I can attest that they're real.

But I guess it's technically less likely to believe in a Wiccan than a Christian considering it's only about 70 years old.

By the way, what are you people talking about, this thread is about Wicca not Catholics or evolution or not having sex.

In fact, abstinence and Wicca have nothing to do with each other, so gtfo.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2010, 07:33:30 pm »

Last year our health teacher showed us how to put on a condom, among other things.

Fuck yeah! He gave you a demonstration? Woooo!

Do non-Christian sects have huge issues with evolution? Do Hindi and Muslims have such an inflamed reaction to it?

I'm a born-again Christian, and my community at least doesn't have a big problem with evolution. Many of my baptist friends don't really care either way. Catholicism calls the theory of evolution easily reconcilable with the notion of creation.

It's only idiotic fundies who point out that "It's a theory, that means they haven't proven it yet." They. Fail. Logic. Forever.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2010, 07:33:38 pm »

I was raised Wiccan, so I can attest that they're real.

I'm totally serious when I ask: what's it like being raised Wiccan?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11