Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: iDF  (Read 6753 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Re: iDF
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 11:01:51 am »

You should call it iDorf, or possibly iTroll...
Totally a troll, it just isn't possible with Toady's closed source and all.

Yannanth

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 11:33:50 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:11:48 pm by Yannanth »

MaelstromUK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jk-digital.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 12:13:12 pm »

I call BS; Maelstrom has posted only twice so far, both of them being in this thread. Not to mention his unwillingness to describe how he did it.

Dude give me a chance! And my previous account got lost somewhere, it wouldn't let me sign in. =[

...though there is nothing stopping you from you using something like remote desktop to play dwarf fortress that is actually running on another computer.

;D ;D ;D
But why not just use VNC? Wouldn't that run faster than actually porting the game itself, even with much tweaking?

Never thought of that! I'll have a look at VNC, that would be awesome.

If this is real then i'd be interested to know how adventure mode performs.
DFTerm is real, and it comes pretty close.

Something else I'd never heard of, there's some really smart folk out there.

I've found some sites which claim the iPod Touch runs at 400Mhz, crikey, that's about 8 times faster than our first computer. How times change. And the iPad runs at 1Ghz? You could probably get a few FPS from DF on that. iPhone 4 has half a gig of RAM, so we're not looking too far away from a time when portable devices could run awesome games with as much depth as Dwarf Fortress at sensible rates  :) Roll on that day says I!
*You're forgetting...
*This is the internet! Is serious business!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 12:30:43 pm »

Still no explanation as to how this works. All you've done is say "Oh, I've never heard of [insert program here] before, it sounds awesome" and discuss how nice it would be to have powerful handhelds. If you want to convince us, give us something more to go on than two screens which might as well have been shopped.

BS still stands.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 05:54:01 pm »

DF will never be ported to the iPhone / iPod because, hardware issues notwithstanding, it's part of the Apple Developer Agreement that any applications for those platforms be written entirely within Objective-C, and I don't think Toady's in any mood to dick with the entire codebase for a platform that won't be able to run the smallest sites at 5fps for 20 minutes before the battery dies.

And terminal apps probably violate the Apple Developer schtick too. The closest I think you're allowed to get is writing a web-page exclusive app that's essentially just an Obj-C mini-browser and then have the server that website is on stream DF to a page or something. Which is impractical as shit.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 06:44:54 pm »

If you want to convince us, give us something more to go on than two screens which might as well have been shopped.

Doesn't even need to be shopped. just take a screenshot and open it in the iphone's image viewer.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 06:57:23 pm »

I assumed that the phone was jailbroken and running an emulator of some kind.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 07:58:12 pm »

wow this is a wonderful thing
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Symbiode

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms = bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 06:38:58 pm »

This is very possible with either Dfterm or using Text mode with DF on Linux. There are quite a few telnet/ssh clients available for the iPhone, I personally use iSSH. I have done this with iSSH and Text mode and can verify that it is 100% possible to play DF remotely through the iPhone, although it is not possible to natively run DF on it.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 06:53:01 pm »

Even if he somehow got his hands on DF source and recompiled it to the iPhone, it wouldn't run. iOS has only some 20-ish MB of free memory to third party apps I think.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 06:56:45 pm »

Even if he somehow got his hands on DF source and recompiled it to the iPhone, it wouldn't run. iOS has only some 20-ish MB of free memory to third party apps I think.
How many times must this be said? It wouldn't be run natively.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 03:51:56 am »

1035 years of world generation at 1fps seems a bit odd to me.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 03:59:56 am »

I demand an explanation and a video.

At the same time.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 08:59:37 am »

I demand an explanation and a video.

At the same time.

Preferably related to the screenshots in the OP...  I don't want a dissertation on macro-economics in post-WWI sub-Saharan Africa accompanied by a Rick Roll...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 10:01:53 am »

This is very possible with either Dfterm or using Text mode with DF on Linux. There are quite a few telnet/ssh clients available for the iPhone, I personally use iSSH. I have done this with iSSH and Text mode and can verify that it is 100% possible to play DF remotely through the iPhone, although it is not possible to natively run DF on it.
iSSH is expensive, the standard terminal application, this one, does, or used to do it just fine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6