Author Topic: iDF  (Read 6752 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: iDF
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2010, 06:44:23 am »

While we're on the subject of unlikely DF platforms, anyone got any thoughts of the feasibility of running DF in Windows CE on an ARM920 CPU, without DFTerm or a similar remote app?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

vlademir1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2010, 03:25:39 am »

If you were really hardcore:

1.  run DF through a disassembler
2.  manually grep through the whole program in ASM replacing all OS and dynamic library calls with equivalents targeted to the system you're porting for
3.  run that ASM code through an appropriate assembler
4.  test and debug on real target hardware
5.  repeat 2-4 until it works

I have seen it done with up to 3000 line C programs before, it took a couple months on the upper end of that.  DF is probably about 250000 lines of C++ code at a guess, so I'll hazard a guess of five years minimum for such a project with a real team.
I'll add that a straight reverse engineering would be easier, as you don't need to do more than try to understand how the software operates algorithmically so skip most of steps 2 on as you can then just write functionally equivalent code... well actually someone other than you could write functionally equivalent code, as there has to be a separation between the two functions according to US law IIRC unless such reverse engineering is done with the original software's creators' consent.

All the above is YMMV, obviously. 
The 250000 lines of code assumption is based on an asspull guesstimate using the "industry standard" (to my understanding) 5 errors per KLOC acceptability in final release software extrapolated to the fact  this is alpha software (so there may be 10-15 E/KLOC).
My understanding of the legality of reverse engineering of code is based on US law that could be overturned by a future ruling or other legal changes or itself may be misunderstanding on my part (as my knowledge of that particular part of copyright is partially based on sources that may be of questionable validity).

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2010, 09:35:43 am »

DF running XP running DF running XP running minesweeper (but with DF installed, too).
Eh?
Eh!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2010, 09:58:06 am »

@vlademir1: Uh... thanks, but I was only really asking if there was an emulator in existence and whether I'd get double-digit FPS out of it if there was. The thought of trying to connect to my home PC and its 3G dongle from a cheap mini-netbook is not appealing.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Tommy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2010, 10:02:52 am »

<imagesnip>

This would be sigged if it weren't for the sheer size.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell. It includes dead things, parties, and getting really excited over updates.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2010, 10:06:16 am »

Minesweeper already runs in DF, its called HFS.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]