Poll

Which would you like to see?

Magic
- 44 (19%)
Magitek
- 38 (16.5%)
Steampunk
- 65 (28.1%)
WE DON'T NEED NO WEAK CONTRAPTIONS! (Normal)
- 28 (12.1%)
All of the Above (Moddable)
- 56 (24.2%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Technology Vs Magic  (Read 6118 times)

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Technology Vs Magic
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 11:00:04 pm »

If magic became part of DF, I'd prefer to see magic use by dwarves be similar to how it is in Dragon Age: Origins. Dwarves can use magical concoctions and items (potions, enchanted swords, etc.) and can be affected by spells, but can't actually cast magical spells themselves. I'd like to see Alchemy expanded and intertwined with the other disciplines, imagine a power generator that uses a Magma Man's heat as a power source.

Basically, I could see steampunk, and possibly magipunk, but not pure magic.

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 12:05:20 am »

I'm not really keen on steampunk in dwarf fortress. It just doesn't seem to fit for me!

I would love to see magic in Dwarf Fortress, however. Just not +3 swords of fire or magical potions of healing in the pouch of every soldier. I'm not strictly opposed to a flaming sword, I would just like a flaming sword to be a very interesting and unlikely thing.

The only magic suitable to dwarf fortress is a system that is equally complex to everything else!

Taking the 'flaming sword' for example. Say that this is actually possible... It should have unique stories of creation (and not so simple as 'was forged'. Well, maybe it was forged, but by a certain individual with certain equipment. Maybe it is inhabited by a spirit, which came from a magical beast, which died under certain circumstances... How did the spirit come to possess the sword? etc. etc.!), and have unique effects on its surroundings other than its immediate magical qualities.
If something so magical as a sword perpetually on fire were to somehow exist, it should probably become the worship of a cult.
Similarly, a potion that can magically cure wounds or other ills should cause similar events as the holy grail. There should be lies too! That's when it gets interesting.

While the sort of magic I like the idea of is generally out of the control of the player, I would like it to be governed by its own laws, with everything happening for a reason. Potentionally unpredictable, but not neccessarily, and allowing for a whole bunch of procedural stuff to happen. So, following the example of the magical sword inhabited by the spirit of a beast, what happens if the spirit is removed by some means?

Of course, I'm just babbling on, but I /think/ this is the sort of magic that Tarn wants. For example, there is animated dead, but it isn't clear exactly why or how yet. But there is going to be! In gritty detail!

Similar to the way ages play out (well, moreso in previous versions), I would like to see magic at varying potency within a single world over time, dwindling as magical creatures become extinct, the lands become worked, inhabited and less wild, and the connection/worship of gods becomes misguided or lost (or the gods themselves, however they function, abandon the world... Gods are probably another matter! But they could potentionally be closely related. Or not!).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 12:42:29 am »

What we have is a difference in perspective. 

But me, I'm more of a Timmy.  I like to experience things that haven't been seen before, to try things that have never been tried and see what sort of fun results.  Unfortunately, I'm running out of options here.  I've crawled through the underground and seen pretty much all there is to see, dissected enough Forgotten Beasts to figure out the general algorithm that generates them, wandered around several Demonic Fortresses, and determined that Hell is really not a very exciting place.

If I read that right, wanting to explore and see new things is more of a "Johnny" trait, while "Timmy" wants to do things like make a champion with 2000 kills and a skull throne and a magma moat. 

If I'd classify myself, I'm somewhere between a Johnny and a Spike of those three.  I've got an obvious competitive drive, but I'm more interested in understanding the concepts than I am in merely winning, and I'll play as the wizard (or the sniper in modern RPGs or the medic in FPS) in any game, just because I like hanging back and either supporting the team or planning more than tackling problems head-on, whether wizards are game-breakers or utterly nerfed in any given game.  I'm someone who dismantles his brand new watch to figure out what makes it work, and then sets about trying to come up with ways to make a better watch.  I spend more time modding the game or on the suggestion forums about the game than actually playing it, because I like thinking about the way the game works more than I actually like playing it.  (And I find combat especially boring, and generally play mostly to design the archetecture, and even though I was talking about people who wouldn't even make clothes, I am someone who matches up every dwarf with a job that has to do with their preferences, will make sure that every dwarf is wearing masterwork clothing, and eating in a legendary dining room with waterfalls.  I make at least one of everything, and I want to have a zoo with every kind of animal in the game in it.) Winning is boring, learning and understanding is fun. 

This is why I hate the Wand of Wonder - it is just plain random, without purpose or meaning.  There is nothing there to understand about it, crap just happens to you for no reason, and there's nothing you can learn about it, or do to change what happens.  It has no purpose, and even if you can use it to make you win, you didn't do anything to earn your victory, no plan of yours came together, you just got lucky.

I make mention of the "no reason to make clothes" problem because it is a problem (in fact, one of the key problems) of the game that essentially the only parts of the game that really matter are the military and bare minimum survival - both of which are early-fort problems to solve.  Having a reason to care about clothing your dwarves, or giving them better standard of living or similar such things, when there ISN'T a reason to care about it right now is the subject of my Class Warfare thread, where I specifically talk about making problems that players have to solve by doing things like making sure your dwarves aren't all a bunch of filthy, disease-ridden nudists.

But that's beside the point...

Anyway, NOW you're starting to approach this from the perspective I'm talking about - you're talking about what you want from the game, and not what you think about when someone says "magic".  This is the difference between a magic thread argument that goes nowhere because nobody can agree on whether the game should feel more like playing Warhammer or Discworld or something else, and a magic thread where people try to figure out how to change the game to give the player more of what they want.  (Which was the main point of the last couple posts I made.)

Yes, that's right, now that I've genuinely thought about the question from the perspective an archetype different from my own, I realize why you were so appalled by my suggestions.  Now, try and see things from my perspective; a playstyle based on gambling, self-imposed challenges, and exploring possibilities is just as legitimate as building the best fortress you can and amassing wealth through reliable, practical means.

I would answer this directly, but I think that my response to a subsequent post should come first, as it partially answers your challenge.

Magic doesn't necessarily have to be about production. What if instead, it took the form of subtly altering the parameters of the environment? There wouldn't be wizards flinging around spells, but rituals, events, or just random drifts in the flow of magic could result in properties being overlaid on the fortress.

To draw on the existing ideas of divine spheres, if your fortress worships a god of fire, works with lava a lot, or has a lot of things catch on fire, the land itself might become imbued with the essence of fire, altering the weather and lowering the point at which things catch on fire, but increasing the effectiveness of smelters and forges and making dwarves that like fire happier. If your fortress worships a god of death, or a lot of creatures die, the land might become imbued with the essence of death, making dwarves die more easily and undead appear more frequently, but making butchering more effective and dwarves that like death happier.

That kind of thing would be somewhat subtle but would also have the potential to be quite significant. Depending on how significant drift is, it could also serve as a source of the unpredictable disasters some people like. Perhaps altering a world gen parameter could affect how inherently magical the world is.

Now this is a model I think can be built up into something that actually solves the problems a player faces.

If, instead of having Dwarven Wizards, we have Dwarven Clerics who serve a fickle deity, who can dole out punishments or rewards based upon the faith and devotion they are given, we are talking about something less arbitrarily imposed upon the player than a wizard who is a walking accident factory.  If keeping the god happy keeps the bad crap from happening, then there is at least a reaon behind such a thing, and a way to prevent it from happening.

It would also be better if whatever blessings you recieved were the blessings you asked for - you get a certain amount of "miracle capital" that you can spend on general things, like blessing the fields for abundant harvests, or blessing your dwarves with good health to ward off disease (when it starts to really get implimented), or else more direct divine intervention, like a prayer going, "Oh great Samyu Leljakzon, Angry Black of Man, we art sick of these motherf****** forgotten beasts in our motherf******* fort!" This could be used as a way of helping solve the problem of Dwarf Fortress being too much about disaster prevention, and not enough about disaster management; You just make the player have access to some direct, immediate solutions to their problems that are beyond their control.  (Of course, then you need a miracle for holding back a wall of water long enough to wall off part of your fort if you start to flood it.)

As a price, not only would you have to keep the god(s) happy, but the more you ask them to do stuff, the more they demand in return, and the more unhappy they get if they don't get it.  It's still "fair" - you still can keep the bad stuff from happening, at least most of the time (hopefully, they don't want slade sacrifices...), but if you don't want to deal with it, you can just run a largely agnostic/atheistic fort, and just try to keep the gods away entirely (unless enemy gods come knocking).

(Of course, it's also a plus that I've just recently been talking in a suggestion thread on Physical Gods.)

Going back to KillerClowns...

Part of what I think is problematic is that I don't really know if people who say they want really random magic would actually like being subjected to random magical effects if it actually happened.  Opening HFS in the middle of your fort is basically just a "oh, whoops, you critfailed a random roll, your entire fort dies for no reason".  Maybe it's a surprising twist the first time it happens, but it's not going to be surprising the next dozen times your fort crumbles because of the inevitable unlucky roll of the dice. 

Even if it's not that bad, even if it's somewhat good, if it's just some random thing that happens to you, but which you can't really do much of anything with, besides clean up the mess, it doesn't seem like it really is more interesting than "Hunh, random creature A just got summoned.  Oh well, dispatch the military to kill it."  (And worse, if there's no real way to prepare for or mitigate the damage those things do, it can be a serious hazard.)

Maybe I'm only looking at this from my perspective of someone who wants to understand systems and work with them, but I much prefer something like having to satiate the demands of a different god who has different personalities each time I play than just having stuff rain down for no rhyme or reason.

I think maybe it's also worth talking a little about what I personally enjoy in a game, as well.  (Aside from complex farming systems that are designed to make fortresses into self-contained ecosystems, of course.)

I think a mechanic that I really enjoyed, and which I think may be worth replicating parts of in this game would be the crafting/alchemy mechanics of the Gust games, especially Mana Khemia. In that game, you have to make all your own equipment and consumables like potions and so on by finding recepies and crafting them. (And since the game is focused on crafting, your "level up" mechanics are based around finding and making every recepie at least once to gain hit points and such, so essentially everything revolves around the alchemy mechanic.) 

You want better armor, you find the next recepie, and you craft it using the materials you find.  Potions can be mass-brewed, but you have to get plenty of ingredients.  Want a bigger potion?  Well, you have to make it out of adding more things onto lower-level potions.  Better armor is made out of weaker armor plus more things added on. 

Because mid and high-level armor is made out of combining several lower armors, plus sometimes several intermediate items that have uses only in making more advanced equipment, which are themselves made out of something like a handful of spinacherbs or blue petals or legion steel, then you wind up having massive raw materials needs, and have to go out flower picking or mining or just plain shopping if it's something you can just outright buy.  (And at the end of the game, I literally used 150 units of legion steel in one round of alchemy crafting... you can only carry 99 at a time.)

What makes it interesting (other than making "grinding" be about fishing minigames or flower picking rather than fighting) is that the equipment you make can have special properties that you can transfer from the raw ingredients to the finished product.  Since properties on one item don't stack if you have more than one of them, really getting the most out of your equipment means you have to look at what combinations of items (most have substitutable ingredients) will enable passing on the properties you want, and even more complex is that every item that you craft whose only purpose is being used in further crafting have multiple properties that only appear when you craft them in certain "quality" ranges (and higher is not always better, especially later on, when you have to purposefully try to get to a range such as between 15% and 30% quality).  Since objects can be crafted using the same intermediate objects in two lower pieces of equipment that get merged into a higher order of equipment, you can actually wind up dropping the quality of an intermediate object for one piece, then upping the quality again for another, and get both supposedly mutually exclusive properties on a single piece of equipment.

It's basically one giant puzzle of trying to find a way to fit all the properties you want on a given item, using only a set number of paths that have ever-lengthening complexity, until the final ultimate pieces of equipment actually have something like 12 layers of lower equipment or intermediate objects, and require over a hundred raw material items to craft just one set of uber armor.  (And solving the puzzle in an optimal manner isn't neccessary by any stretch, it's just fun to solve it.)

So basically, this is the sort of thing I would hope to be able to see in a DF alchemy system, if not something as complex and time-intensive, at least something where it gives a player a compelling reason to really want to collect each and every last scrap of every random item they can get their hands on because it might be useful in some odd formula, and making it possible to create weird, wacky, and wonderful new products through careful consideration of how different properties interact.  If we make a crafting system similar to Legend of Mana's, where adding different properties from different material extracts will interact with other properties from other material extracts in consistant, non-random ways, but ways that aren't revealed to the player until they perform trial and experiment, we can create a severely complex puzzle for the player to tackle.  Many players may settle for just getting a mostly positive set of effects, or a weak effect that has no downside, but the opportunity exists for

This would probably work best procedurally randomizing the effects of all the different raw materials in the game (or at least, to make them fit within certain catagories, so that fire imp eyes don't cause ice effects... at least without triggering an inversion of their normal properties), so that there is no wiki and no real way to understand what effects different raw material or what rules exist on the formulas for interactions of properties until they have experimented for themselves.

(While I was typing, four new replies have been posted... heh...)

EDIT: Jeebus, how many words have I WRITTEN in this thread, already?!

EDIT2: Apparently, 6715 words, or 38,118 characters, not counting formatting or quotes.  My Stonehall Alliance mod thread still kicks my input on this thread's ass in terms of verbosity so far...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:54:41 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 02:14:54 am »

Small complaint in your response: I have said, time and time again, that even the most random and chaotic magic should be relative to how much power you give your magi to play with.  You say that nobody would want HFS to randomly open, and I agree.  Such a thing simply shouldn't happen on account of a handful of magi toying about with a summoning circle; at worst, they call forth a demon a bit tougher than they can handle and your ballista crew has to skewer it.  A fortress with a very well developed magical infrastructure, think sixty or so full-time magi minimum, might have that risk, but it would, by extension, also have a well-developed defensive infrastructure to deal with threats of that scale, and you'd know where the HFS could open: in the summoning circle.  The point would be finding out just what sort of freakish creatures, the sorts of things never found anywhere else, could get thrown at you, and what sort of bizarre rewards you could get to play with.
That said, I really like Jothki's idea.  In fact, I'm going to declare his idea superior to my own.  It captures the feeling of toying with powers you can't quite control far more effectively and practically than mine did, and experimenting with different magical effects on my fort would definitely keep me busy and exploring for quite some time.  Just one small caveat, because I'm stubborn: I think I've laid out a pretty good description of how the chaos sphere would work.  And yes, I for one would totally build an altar to a god of chaos.  I might regret it, but hey, I'll have had my fun.  :D
EDIT: I missed your idea about an alchemy system being procedurally generated with each world; that would also be quite agreeable to my tastes.  It would give me something to fiddle with, poke, and get myself blown up by.  I like it; it would give me an element of randomness and unpredictability, but one that a more practical player could then put to rational, reasonable use.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 02:32:35 am by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 02:41:44 am »

Christ, I've seen essays that are shorter..

Anyways, so far what people have said, and I'm going to TL:DR it for some people is that

Some people want a chaotic system

Some people want a buisness model

Why not both? Hear me out.

Alchemy is not exactly what one would call chaotic, it is the production of potentially magic ingredients. This sort of magic within DF would be easily confined to an industrial system, and infact COULD be made chaotic, by having forts only know a limited amount of potionry. While one may know due to trading with the elves, or humans that they could make Healing potion of "infinite awesomeness" They wouldn't know how to make a casual health potion without either their dwarven civilization knowing it, or trading for it. Or having an option within the alchemical lab: -Mix randomly-. You could either learn a new potion type, or have an explosion due to trying to combine several volitile mixes.

While this system is a bit random, it would also increase trade, some races only knowing certain things. Like dwarves would know alchemy for things relating to the earth: -Potion of create large muddy fields- For example, humans have things that would be beneficial in the field, and elves for animals and such.

And as for purely chaotic, there should be magic, I have no good idea's on that one so I'll leave it be.

For those who desire much more industrial options, alchemy would be the good option for these people to have, magic for those who like a little flair and randomness within the system. While these could be bound together, they could just be as seperate. While mages would need some aspects of alchemy to possibly perform some of their more major functions -Potion of sealing demons- For example.

There could also be a third option, Dwarven clerics (stolen from someone else) Blessing magics, holy blessings, and unholy smitings upon your non-dwarfy city, once again, no major idea's

Long story short

Alchemy is for those who want a more industrial option, will need trading/possesion/mixing to possibly know every potion and types, but it is still much more guaranteed to be used in an industrial fashion, as once you know all current potions ingame, (or at least what you know of then) You can happily industrialize what you want or need.

Magic is for those who want a more chaotic system, using a crapload of mages and power within summoning circle brings up a demon that could be bound and turned to your service, thus granting you an awesome demon to assist you? Yay! Opening the portal into Balefor, the demon of the ninth circle of hell's bathroom while he's in it by mistake? Oh crap! SEAL IT WITH MAGIC/MAGMA! Of course as one said, there would be varying degree's of magical use, while one could just pump a tiny bit of magic (for example with the seal) A tiny bit of magic may not even get anything, or an imp equivilant, while using a crapton of mages/magic in a circle, has a chance of releasing FUN into your area.

Although I believe you should be able to BUILD certain area's. Or that you need certain people to go along with things. (A wizard noble perhaps from the kingdom?) Or you would be considered a rogue cultist fort.

And clerics too, since the gods need boozings and worshipping afterall, but i'm not certain of their use.

Although the lack of steampunk love leaves me disappointed.  :'(
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 02:44:27 am by ZebioLizard2 »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 06:07:51 am »

Magic....and that is what Toady wanted to code in as well. [...but it wasn't part of the v1.0 dev cycle...eh]

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 09:01:09 am »

You know, give me the ability to create movable constructions and I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 09:59:12 am »

You know, give me the ability to create movable constructions and I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.

Double quoted, I didn't catch that one, it'd be kinda funny to have dwarves riding such beasts of awesomeness.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 12:36:25 pm »

"Opening HFS" is just the logical extreme.  What I'm really opposed to is something that is random and out of the player's ability to mitigate or prevent the randomness.  Even if it's "just one demon", heck, even if it's just a mundane aggressive animal, if you let one loose in the middle of your fort, it is a potential disaster.  The only real defense normal dwarves have against the threats of their world are walls.  Removing that one protection means horrible disaster.  Just a normal bear or something set loose in your workshops or dining room could kill 1/4 of your fort before the stupid militia stops taking naps or getting a drink and actually kills the stupid thing... and then you have all the fleeing an aggressive animal spam from just seeing a hoary marmot... KillerClowns, you were talking earlier about transforming booze into something else - what if some of your booze randomly transforms into a fire imp in the middle of the booze stockpile?  Just a random "HAHA! YOU LOSE 3 DWARVES, AND ALL YOUR BOOZE!" for no good reason, and no way to prevent it.

If we're talking about limiting the random crap to the immediate vicinity of the magic workshop, then at least I can completely wall them in, using building and deconstructing walls as an airlock, and quarantine the damage, but I'd still just execute them on sight if they wound up being too much of a distraction and kept spamming messages, because they don't sound like they're doing anything useful that couldn't be done by mundane means.

I've been harping over it fairly hard, but basically, there's a massive difference between "somethign that is randomly generated differently each time, but which can be predicted, mitigated, or controlled" and "lol random stuff out of the blue!".  It's the difference between the new HFS or FB attacks and having your entire embark collapse into the caverns or bugging up a 5-year-old-fort so that it's unplayable.  One can be interesting (although probably needs to have expanded and better refined powers), the other is just a pointless frustration.

Again, even if you say you want random stuff, I just can't imagine people actually enjoying creating a random "game over" event when you have no real means of fighting the fires it ignites.  DF just isn't like SimCity or the like, where you can fairly easily contain the fires, and the city is fairly easily rebuilt in exactly the way it once was.  DF is a game about barely keeping the 100 things that will kill you at bay because nothing but dwarves can deconstruct a single tile of wall.

When you have some way to combat or contain the randomness, it's different, but just randomness for lol randomness just defeats the player's ability to control anything in a game that is entirely built around the ability to control your environment.

But now I'm trying to think of ways to make a procedural magical alchemy... something that has properties like that of Persona's demon-breeding abilities.  Except what we really need is a formula for making formulas.  So I guess it would be more akin to having some kind of computer program that makes Sudoku puzzles than anything. 

That means that there needs to be catagories of powers (spheres, maybe?  Although it would be weird to have entire lists of "Pregnancy" or "Children" spells... I mean, once you have fertility drugs, what else is there... do you give birth to magical creatures that help you?), as well as some sort of "power level" ranking system so that rarer, more valuable ingredients give more notable effects.  Each raw material should probably have more than one property, sort of Oblivion-like, with only certain strains of properties reacting to other strains of properties.  Being randomized, it would probably have to be built with some kind of system where you just check at the end if it fits every parameter so that there are at least a few "pathways" to every kind of effect, even if some of them require absurdly rare ingredients.

Ah, crap, I'm gonna have to make another suggestion thread that everyone's going to tl;dr again, aren't I?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 12:50:00 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 01:03:14 pm »

If we're talking about limiting the random crap to the immediate vicinity of the magic workshop, then at least I can completely wall them in, using building and deconstructing walls as an airlock, and quarantine the damage, but I'd still just execute them on sight if they wound up being too much of a distraction and kept spamming messages, because they don't sound like they're doing anything useful that couldn't be done by mundane means.

Sigh, you keep ignoring the fact that wizardy doesn't just "poof" out of everywhere, at least a few people have suggested SEVERAL THINGS by now on the matter. Summoning circles wouldn't be just randomly placed down anywhere and everywhere. You'd have to build it, with materials magically made in alchemical matters. Examples.

Summoning Circle: For things of the summoning sorts.
Wizards Workshop: For all things magical that you can control, asking for them to use alchemical stuff for example, and to alleviate the "whole issue of them complaining" They could be the ones that actually use alchemy.

And not to mention of magical traps.

Really, alot of your stuff boils down to. I want to have everything setup perfectly, nothing will be able to defend but a few walls. Well guess what, by the time ANY of this is introduced, military should be fixed up. Not to mention you suggest nothing of magical traps or such that could be constructed to help carefully construct things. You just say no random stuff but give no examples (yes I've seen your current examples, but they have no basis in reality) Wizards aren't just going to suddenly be going around going, !!FOOM!! To all your beer, they will use most likely a carefully constructed interface that will allow you to give them most likely area's to perform their magic. You consistantly say no random magic, but magic most likely will be controlled by the player in general ways, whether using something simple as designating or a workshop.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2010, 02:28:46 pm »

Sigh, you keep ignoring the fact that wizardy doesn't just "poof" out of everywhere, at least a few people have suggested SEVERAL THINGS by now on the matter. Summoning circles wouldn't be just randomly placed down anywhere and everywhere. You'd have to build it, with materials magically made in alchemical matters.

I'm not ignoring it, I directly reference that fact, and say that such a thing would be a useful limitation.

Really, alot of your stuff boils down to. I want to have everything setup perfectly, nothing will be able to defend but a few walls. Well guess what, by the time ANY of this is introduced, military should be fixed up. Not to mention you suggest nothing of magical traps or such that could be constructed to help carefully construct things. You just say no random stuff but give no examples (yes I've seen your current examples, but they have no basis in reality) Wizards aren't just going to suddenly be going around going, !!FOOM!! To all your beer, they will use most likely a carefully constructed interface that will allow you to give them most likely area's to perform their magic. You consistantly say no random magic, but magic most likely will be controlled by the player in general ways, whether using something simple as designating or a workshop.

... You're starting to lose coherence, here...  I'm not giving examples, but I'm giving examples but they don't count because magic is unrealistic?  Seriously, WHAT?

I'm against randomness (except where I talk about the specific kinds of randmoness I am opposed to, and which kinds I support), but it's my fault for not talking about non-random magic like traps, which you've repeatedly said you were opposed to?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2010, 02:48:24 pm »

Where did I state all magic should be random? Sorry, it's just that I feel your thinking out all magic is basically at times going to at worst and without provocation "Summon HFS" or "Booze fire imp" at random, without input from the player. Some of us players do enjoy random things at times, even a system that at best. Would destroy everything within your base and force you to come back with a reclaim squad or adventurer to slay.

Sorry if I'm going to off tangent on ya, I have..well, some issues with remembering things.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2010, 03:54:08 pm »

Hm...had a thought last night about this.

What about runic magic? Trap runes, healing runes, summoning runes, and so on. This allows for randomness ("Urist McSummoner has Summoned a Frog Demon!" a->z, "Oh, that's where he went." *waches the Frog Demon flay Urist McSummoner) but also allows for controllability (Don't want a Summoning Rune to potentially unleash Hell in the middle of your fort? Build a Summoner's Enclave FAR AWAY from the main fort.).

I see runes working as buildings placed from the uild menu.

Will expand later, gotta run off to class.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2010, 05:00:48 pm »

Well, when we're talking about something like a magic trap, then this really gets up to the same ol' Clarke's Law problem...

Let's say Urist McWizard makes a fireball magic trap rune, and it causes an explosion whenever some enemy steps on it.

Let's say Berim McSteampunkdwarf builds a gunpowder land mine trap, and it causes an explosion whenever some enemy steps on it.

... What's the difference?  (You know, aside from some people not wanting to play "magical" dwarves and others not wanting to play "steampunk" dwarves.)

If we're making magic a risky business, so that making that fireball rune may accidentally summon a demon, while making a gunpowder bomb is a generally safe and predictable process, then I think we're pretty clearly making Steampunk a much more attractive option for the player.

And again, it's not like technology is always reliable, so why does magic have to be crazy and backfire on people, just because you often see that sort of thing in Discworld or the like? I actually like the D&D style of magic, where you know exactly what you're going to get when you cast a spell, and wizards are functionally just the scientists and philosophers of a magical world.  If we have magitek, the people making the steampunk aspects may well be the wizards and the clerics, because in the ancient world, knowledge about magic and religion and science were all basically the same thing, so scientist and wizard and priest were all the same job.

So again, how different is it if someone weilds a "Tesla Coil" that shoots lightning (and yes, I know that's not how Tesla Coils actually work, but they do that in Steampunk) instead of a wand of lightning?  All that REALLY matters is that it shoots lightning.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 05:15:09 pm »

i would  be for completely non random magic during play but any magic users, at or beyond the level of a fire imp level of magical-ness should not be under the players control (unless the world is extremely magical) it could still be friendly but you shouldn't have a wizard just sitting around outside your door and leveling sieges at your command.

I would also want a fair amount of stuff to be randomly generated such as to the effects of magic and more so in the effects of alchemy. this generation though should be in world gen like the rest of it and you shouldnt have to worry about doing the same thing for the second time.To clearify what this means is that when you start a new game you shouldnt know what happens when you mix this red plant you found with some blueish grass after you do so it shouldnt be very hard to find out though and whenever you try it again the same thing should happen. This wouldnt be that feasible now as really all it does is force you not to use the wiki but if we can get some sort of generated description of the results possible in game book form you could just have a long world gen and just nip into a library or carry a book around and use it for reference or something.

one of the things i will be interested in is what sort of world gen options are put in for magic
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6