Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 93397 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #405 on: September 03, 2010, 08:12:18 am »

I like the idea of prison both as a punishment for getting caught, and an element of game play. I think just running around shooting prison guards and opening cells sounds kind of one track. What happens outside the clink is just as important to criminals as what happens inside. I think it adds a great deal to the simulation that the game isn't over when you're arrested and convicted, it's just another chapter in the tale of your criminal, how they went to prison and came out reborn hard.

I'd hate the game to just climax at "Cops shoot you, you die." Or "Cops put you in cell. Now walk out of cell."

It also sets up the potential to play the whole LIFE of your criminal, not just the part before they got killed. Imagine a whole game, going in and out of the prison system. When the game finally tallies your score, you could be proud of having an epic criminal veteran.

I think a prison side-experience sounds more flavorful, easier to do in a meaningful way and offers a change up of gameplay. Which is one thing I've always liked about LCS.

Then I want a whole range of plastic spoon sharpening and digging related skills.
Prisoner mcdwarf looks like he could dig a minning shaft through solid steel with a plastic spoon
Prisoner mcdwarf looks like he could sharpen a plastic spoon until the point was so sharp if he stabbed you with it, it'd make your mother bleed.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 03, 2010, 08:47:43 am »

http://www.redversconsulting.com/images/cobol-xml-sample.gif ... ew.

Lua can display that same data, more logically, with less mess and file size, in addition to allowing in data functions. No reason for XML.

I uploaded the basic skeleton to the SVN. I also deleted and moved around some of the stuff that was there. All the graphical stuff goes into trunk/data/gfx . How we split it up from there is whatever works easiest. If we want to do something like

tiles
people
items
items/weapons
items/ammo

or something more like

tiles
entities
entities/items/weapons
entities/people

I currently have it set up the first way, but whatever.

The skeleton is mostly a combination of the example module combined with a cleaned out version Yufra's viral resistance module. By doing this there's a lot more examples of how to go about doing things (inventory, basic firearms...). You can also check out the somewhat failed early experiments at map generation.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 03, 2010, 09:29:06 am »

Awesome!  I'll be poking around in this for awhile, hehe.

Edit:  Hmm... How do I run it?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 09:39:14 am by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 03, 2010, 09:43:57 am »

I'l take a look.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 03, 2010, 09:52:08 am »

Ok. I took it for a run. Going to have a look at the code now and see whats happening there.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 03, 2010, 10:01:58 am »

in prison time should pass by month with you seting jobs for every week.

new ways to pass time in prison.
1)work at job,this only pays a little money but, you can steal things and it increases chance for early release.

2)make trouble,you pick fights,start riots,Slop out on jailers and so on.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 03, 2010, 10:05:17 am »

If someone could upload all the necessary requirements to run the game, and put a step-by-step in the readme to run it, that would be great.  I don't want to screw something up by doing it myself, since I have never used TE4 before.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 03, 2010, 11:11:39 am »

Could someone explain again how to access this basic skeleton of a game?

By the way, if something interesting happens while you're in prison (You get attacked, there's a riot, prison gets attacked from outside), I think it would be more entertaining to play through those parts manually.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 03, 2010, 11:19:53 am »

definitly I don't want a message to pop up:
There's a riot, you don't escape.
Because that's just.... wrong.
Nom nom nom

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 03, 2010, 11:47:16 am »

Hahaha, alright. Even though it's just a skeleton, and the descriptions are placeholders, I'm still finding this funny. "Intelligence defines your character's ability to think about stuff and stuff." "If you're perceptive enough you'd know what this does already."

The streets are interesting. Is there a way to make the some of the | lines display as __ so that the road doesn't look odd horizontally? Also, I encountered a weird effect where after walking around for a while, my character started to lag very badly, and it couldn't move well unless I used the mouse to click on where I wanted him to run to.

For the people that don't know how to access it, first, you get the tortoise svn client that lets you download and upload files to and from the SVN repository. Then, make sure you have Lua. You can use Lua's editor tool, or just any old text editor, to modify the code. In order to run it, I just plopped the game into a new folder in the module folder of the TE4 engine. 

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 03, 2010, 12:00:21 pm »

Kus:  It may be best to commit the engine to SVN itself, so it's all in one package, if that's possible.  If not, can you update the readme with step-by-step instructions on how you did it?

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 03, 2010, 12:10:11 pm »

Kus:  It may be best to commit the engine to SVN itself, so it's all in one package, if that's possible.  If not, can you update the readme with step-by-step instructions on how you did it?

Yeah, it is possible. You can also set the SVN checkout to be in that module directory of your TE4 folder.

I'll update the readme to give some step by step instructions.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:20:48 pm by Kusgnos »

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 03, 2010, 12:42:30 pm »

Thanks.  Ima start taking a looksie at this stuff here then.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 03, 2010, 12:57:18 pm »

I love the

Spoiler: EASTER EGG (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 03, 2010, 03:53:07 pm »

Bug report: If you shoot something, the game slows down considerably, to the point of unplayability.  To be exact, you take several turns to take each action, noticeable if you're standing on an item.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 48