Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 93358 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2010, 04:37:52 pm »

Maybe just make it both.
Shoes...

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2010, 04:43:02 pm »

Graphics packs? I don't really care, I can play either. I just like ASCII.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2010, 04:45:08 pm »

Oh, and please use a numpad/arrowkey control scheme. Nethack's VI scheme, and Rogue's HYUBJKWhateverthefuck controls have never made a damn bit of sense to me, which is sad because it's popular control set with a lot of roguelikes.

T-Engine allows in game remapping so you can have whatever you want.

Graphical vs. ascii... T-Engine allows both. Ascii peeps should be able to turn off graphical tiles.

Torture and other objectionable stuff - Probably should compartmentalize this stuff and allow users that don't want to have it to not even have to have it included in their version of the game.

Districts sounds like the most logical way to do things. Sizing them isn't a problem either as the user can change that in the options menu.

Beta testing? Anyone who wants to can probably just download the source off of googlecode or whatever gets used to host it. No compiling needed.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2010, 04:52:01 pm »

I vote graphical with an ASCII tileset. That way the programmers don't have to waste time rewriting the code later when the unwashed masses beloved community demand tilesets, and that'll make it easy for the community to produce their own tilesets that can be dropped right into the games. As far as I know, T4 should currently support that.

I don't really care either way about graphics vs ASCII, but I do care about the programmers focusing on content, world building, and making shit work. Give the community the framework to make shit pretty, and if they don't, they've got no one to complain to than themselves.

Crime Families

Yep. We need this too. In fact, we also need Gangs. And they honestly don't have to be all that different.

For example, a Crime Family is basically a large, old, and heavily entrenched Gang that uses legitimate business activities in order hide and fund criminal activity.

In the world, there should be a few Crime Families, that are feuding with each-other. Join one (which should be a long, difficult process more suited to a late game, established character), and you get a bunch of nice bonuses (which should either be unavailable elsewhere, or very, very difficult to procure outside of the family), some restrictions that you'll need to abide by (don't fuck over another member of the family, don't snitch on the family, don't do anything to piss off the Don, perhaps some Behavioral restrictions (like the Don can't stand criminals that hurt women, or kids, and he has your legs broken if you fuck up)), and some penalties (frosty relations with other Gangs and families, hostile relations with others, FBI more likely to know of you, even if they don't know your crimes, etc).

Below the families would be Gangs, the bigger/more successful/better established ones being more powerful and harder to join. There would be similar benefits and penalties to these.

And you should totally be able to start your own gang (vigilante group coughIamBatmancough), and lead your Brothas and Sistas to take over the streets from your rivals.

I imagine a deep, well built influence/relation system would make this awesome (example: Performing X crime gets you street cred with Gang A, pisses off Family B, attracts potential Gangbanger C, and alienates current Gang Member D). I'd recommend using an in-engine faction system, and define what each faction likes/dislikes. Then all you have to do is assign those factions to NPCs.

Edit: Jesus, six replys since I started writing this!? Fuck it, I'm posting this first, then I'll read 'em.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2010, 05:00:07 pm »

Sounds like fun. I'm currently dicking around with TE4's example module, trying to get locational damage to work and to make a working inventory. Just mainly messing around with the actors and npc and player stuff, and trying to familiarize myself with all the functions. It's fairly complex, since I've never programmed anything before. I can pitch in some time to help with the project if someone can organize things to implement first. I can make tileset graphics, although I don't use them, haha. I figure we should start with the basics. Using the example module, make a workable inventory, then modify the map code so we have one single map instead of dungeon rooms and floors, and begin fleshing out the character generation stuff by modifying game.lua in the class folder, and then adding stuff to the descriptor.lua file in birth/data.

EDIT: Shouldn't this be in Creative Projects?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2010, 05:05:09 pm »

I don't know about that. This game might start taking donations, and Creative Projects isn't exactly that. Creative Projects is usually just a rarely visited forum where single people work in their free-time on a project. This is supposed to be a rogue-like that would involve the entire community, if they so choose, and might become Über-Famous, like BrÜno.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2010, 05:06:47 pm »

Sounds like fun. I'm currently dicking around with TE4's example module, trying to get locational damage to work and to make a working inventory. Just mainly messing around with the actors and npc and player stuff, and trying to familiarize myself with all the functions. It's fairly complex, since I've never programmed anything before. I can pitch in some time to help with the project if someone can organize things to implement first. I can make tileset graphics, although I don't use them, haha. I figure we should start with the basics. Using the example module, make a workable inventory, then modify the map code so we have one single map instead of dungeon rooms and floors, and begin fleshing out the character generation stuff by modifying game.lua in the class folder, and then adding stuff to the descriptor.lua file in birth/data.

EDIT: Shouldn't this be in Creative Projects?

Let's wait until we actually have some code for the folks down there to look at/poke around with. We also need to flesh out the concept a bit, and come up with the core mechanics that should be built and implemented first.

But yeah, we should eventually move this to Creative Projects. A brand new thread might be a better idea.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2010, 05:07:26 pm »

Anyone want to set up a pirate pad or something so we can get some ideas on paper in a single clear space?
Shoes...

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2010, 05:10:13 pm »

What's a pirate pad?

We should all talk in IRC.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2010, 05:17:25 pm »

This.

IRC is nice but something like that would allow collaborative and organized writing of a design document, whereas IRC is just as disorganized as a forum thread, but not as slow.
Shoes...

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2010, 05:20:27 pm »

Look I have a pirate pad open :D...

http://piratepad.net/h9QML6qDDY

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2010, 05:21:30 pm »

Games in development can go under either forum, though really it'd be nice to get a specific game dev one. Anyways, since the massive SK thread was here it seems best to have this here for a while.

Kusgnos- It might also be helpful to download Viral Resistance on the modules forum. It is set in modern day. It has more than the example module, but far less than the full ToME module, so it's much easier to learn from.

For anyone that wants to tool around this is extremely helpful http://doku.t-o-m-e.net/t4modules:module_howto_guides as is http://te4.org/docs/t-engine4/1.0.0beta7/

tarsier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2010, 05:37:31 pm »

I think the tileset seen in the hoax videos looked fantastic - thematically fitting and nicely refined for a roguelike. Plus, it was original. I know I'm not involved, but I suggest it be replicated.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2010, 05:45:26 pm »

I saw it replicated yesterday and I forgot to save the picture. Now I go to the link and it's been removed =(

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2010, 05:49:37 pm »

I would participate in the pirate pad but alas, IRL calls.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 48