Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 92836 times)

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #480 on: September 08, 2010, 06:05:22 am »

Lap, did you receive the code fine?

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 08, 2010, 09:56:46 am »

Yea, sorry for not uploading it to the SVN yet. Damn kids got me sick and I've been trying to sleep it off for a while.

What was the reason for this change:

-      WEAR_ITEM = function()
-         self.player:playerWear()
-      end,
-      TAKEOFF_ITEM = function()
-         self.player:playerTakeoff()
-      end,

to

+      
+      WEAR_ITEM = "SHOW_INVENTORY",
+
+      TAKEOFF_ITEM = "SHOW_INVENTORY",
+

Hopefully, I'll be able to get that up later tonight.

This map thing is going to be my main focus until it gets working. I believe it's going to be the biggest hurdle the project is going to have for some time. Once the maps are generating and throwing down even somewhat believable cities it will probably herald an upwelling of new content. The game will start to feel like a game and actually being able to see your work in game very soon after completing it (this tends to be very important to keeping artists around). Since the world will start too look really good, even if it's mostly without purpose we'll also have some good publicity shots to attract people.

Does anyone have an SA account? At some point in the future we'll probably want to debut over there as well.

I'm also hoping half the coders haven't run away. Looking at the list we had on the devpad about half of them haven't even registered for the forums. Currently, only Xegeth has stepped up to the plate so far, but I'll just assume that's due to most people just getting a hang of the engine and Lua.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:01:43 am by Lap »

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 08, 2010, 11:24:13 am »

What was the reason for this change:

-      WEAR_ITEM = function()
-         self.player:playerWear()
-      end,
-      TAKEOFF_ITEM = function()
-         self.player:playerTakeoff()
-      end,

to

+      
+      WEAR_ITEM = "SHOW_INVENTORY",
+
+      TAKEOFF_ITEM = "SHOW_INVENTORY",
+

I did a lot of the programming before you uploaded the code, so I didn't have the functions at all in my version. When I was modifying it to work with your code, the inventory screen was already able handle wearing and removing items, so I just set the keys to open the inventory in case anyone was used to the way most roguelikes handled it. You can change it if you want though.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 08, 2010, 12:49:41 pm »

Generally, out of all the coders that want to do a project, only about half of them end up sticking through. Maybe less. I hope we get as many coders as possible--I'm still learning it, so I'm sticking to spriting and doing the easy gruntwork tasks. I'll likely have even less time to learn Lua as the year goes on, but it's still a goal of mine.

Good work and good luck with the code so far, you coders. I'd rather be a code-savvy person than an artist, but I guess we all make do with our skills.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 08, 2010, 12:50:55 pm »

Generally, out of all the coders that want to do a project, only about half of them end up sticking through. Maybe less. I hope we get as many coders as possible--I'm still learning it, so I'm sticking to spriting and doing the easy gruntwork tasks. I'll likely have even less time to learn Lua as the year goes on, but it's still a goal of mine.

Good work and good luck with the code so far, you coders. I'd rather be a code-savvy person than an artist, but I guess we all make do with our skills.

Hey, at least you're not the "ideas guy"
Shoes...

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 08, 2010, 02:04:21 pm »

Like I said before I'm willing to help coding. But it's rather hard to do anything without design documents. Just coding some random stuff doesn't really help. I think a lack of direction and purpose is one of the main reasons coders leave projects.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 08, 2010, 03:02:26 pm »

Do all you coders have an account at the Crimelike Forums? There's loads of brainstorming on design, and various ways of putting down what you want done, what you need done, and what you'll be doing, as well as an easier way to collaborate with other coders.

Also, spriters and ideas people, we need you. Make an account and dump your ideas down, whether in an organized, cohesive fashion, or in a haphazard vomiting pile. All of it might be useful, no matter how unrefined, and your ideas will likely make it into the game itself. :D A chance to make wide, sweeping suggestions, or nitpick on little neat things, or write up flavor text.

Suggestions people have made so far have been about the inventory system: http://76.26.38.52/crimelike/index.php?topic=27.0
Taking drugs: http://76.26.38.52/crimelike/index.php?topic=45.0
Martial arts system: http://76.26.38.52/crimelike/index.php?topic=51.0
Character Attributes: http://76.26.38.52/crimelike/index.php?topic=4.0
Starting situations: http://76.26.38.52/crimelike/index.php?topic=17.0

Whole lists of weapons you can add to that are being sprited by me, bunches of objects, tile design that you can start to code even if you don't know much code, just by going off the template: http://76.26.38.52/crimelike/index.php?topic=12.0

There's a lot available to do and to work on. Anyone can help out with something. Joining the forum's an important part of it.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 08, 2010, 08:38:17 pm »

Like I said before I'm willing to help coding. But it's rather hard to do anything without design documents. Just coding some random stuff doesn't really help. I think a lack of direction and purpose is one of the main reasons coders leave projects.

You're right about that. At this stage I'm not too concerned because there is so much brainstorming going on and I don't want to see someone code a massive system for something that later gets obsoleted. As I've learned working on my 4X project, working on something with an open design document is a huge bitch, even when you are sole coder and source of most of the concepts. I am surprised that more of the potential coders haven't even registered or been pitching ideas. I personally find most coding to be far less fun than actual design. Muz is just a freak I guess ;).

Anyways, given the scope of this game, it looks like there are going to be a lot of things that can be easily coded in isolation. Certain elements can even be expanded to their own mini games (I know a lot of people expressed interest in having a really in depth court system). As the game develops I'm going to try to give a little more direction by posting more "assignments", which are just tasks that anyone can volunteer to pick up and work on.

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 09, 2010, 01:40:48 am »

speaking of brainstorming, i got a little proposal:

1)replace Charisma with Appearance
2)add social skills instead:
Leadership - will
Speechcraft, Persuation or whatever - int
Disguise - dex
Merchantile - int, dex
...etc

Base NPC reaction based on appearance and factions relationship, then skills go.

(N?)PC can get cut or shot in the face(or have a burn) and Jimmy becomes 'Gorgeous' Jimmy

Isn't it better than vague 'charisma' stat?

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 09, 2010, 09:53:34 am »

Just uploaded Xegeth's inventory system to the SVN. It allows containers within containers and eliminates magical storage. This means that everyone who wanted a more realistic system of concealment should be really happy. I can also make all sorts of neat stuff like locked briefcases that can be picked to reveal their multiple item contents.

Tons and tons of stuff we can do with this, including stupid shit like this:

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 09, 2010, 12:05:33 pm »

Ngh. I am extremely happy, and cannot express it enough. However... I'm trying not to get that dastardly, horrifying tune in my head now.

Can you seriously shove things up orifices? It sounds like you could hide stuff in your mouth and so forth, and that's pretty awesome. Gonna test it! Totally updating my SVN for this.

EDIT: Xegeth you are awesome. Someone needs to get you on the SVN. Upon testing it, though, I see Lap's new map modification (looking good), but I don't see how the inventory system works yet. Is the code pointing to it, or has it not been fully integrated yet?

Blog updated with screenshots from the game. http://crimelike.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:39:08 pm by Kusgnos »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 09, 2010, 12:35:52 pm »

Just thought I'd mention that "gerbilling" is an urban legend. Mostly.

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 09, 2010, 12:48:36 pm »

Revision 49 should have a working inventory system. Can you get the inventory screen to show up? You should be able to press 'i' to open it, and click on an item to move it around. You don't start with any items, but both the slums and the sandbox have items lying around. They show up under "On floor" when you stand on them. There's a few items and slots in Lap's version that aren't in mine or on the svn, so there's no gerbil nonsense at the moment (even though Boo was a minature giant space hamster anyway). Thanks for the encouragement with the system. At the moment I'm fixing bugs in the second version, so hopefully it won't be long before the volume and weight of an object can be affected by the contents.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 09, 2010, 02:39:08 pm »

Just uploaded Xegeth's inventory system to the SVN. It allows containers within containers and eliminates magical storage. This means that everyone who wanted a more realistic system of concealment should be really happy. I can also make all sorts of neat stuff like locked briefcases that can be picked to reveal their multiple item contents.

Tons and tons of stuff we can do with this, including stupid shit like this:

Lemmiwinks!!

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 09, 2010, 03:06:45 pm »

Inventory shows up, but I can't move the clips or the gun around to anywhere else besides the hands and ammo, I think. Or maybe I'm just confused. Did you test it out? Post a few screenshots of how to do it?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 48