Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 93404 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #510 on: September 10, 2010, 08:26:55 am »

I think you mean 100% randomly generated. You just need to add more specific procedures. A check for cul-de-sac length or something. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the problems with that screen shot...

Technically, random map generation isn't entirely random and technically, everything done on computers is procedural as it follows sets of procedures. Either term is fine here.

What I meant to say was that having a few basic equations to place down roads and buildings isn't going to cut it like it does for most roguelikes. Neither are buildings created mostly by equations. It's not very hard to make purely equation based landscapes, but it just doesn't work as well for cities. The equations have to be so complicated that a tile placement method is preferable. The screenshot I posted was also meant to show that just trying to place blocks of tiles down like dominoes (by finding matching sides) is also not going to be viable. For the domino method to work there needs to be a lot of special checks in place and even then there will still probably be many tiles that technically work, but that don't look right anyways. This is why I am trying to go for the layered streets and premade plots method that I described earlier.

We take it to the other, official board, then?

Further orifice discussion goes here:

http://76.26.38.52/crimelike/index.php?topic=71.0
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:29:18 am by Lap »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 10, 2010, 08:40:10 am »

Just thought I'd mention that "gerbilling" is an urban legend. Mostly.
Stop ruining our fantasies. Prove it can't be done!!
Oh it CAN be done alright, I mean goatse shoved what was it? A coke bottle? A volley ball? Up his.
So it would probably be easy to first shove a pipe and then add the gerbil element.

But what I was getting at... supposedly there are no medical records or close-to-true stories about small animals in peoples colons. And you know, everybody has a friend who worked at a hospital and one point in their life. As parties drag on you get all the stories about stuff they removed from peoples behinds, ranging from lightbulbs to my personal favourite: THE TOILET BRUSH! (That guy's excuse supposedly was that he tripped  and fell while on the toilet. Still that doesnt explain all that well how it got in there with the brush thingy first...)

But nobody ever tells the story about that gerbil. And seriously. If any medic ever had to get an animal out of somebodies ass (and I mean an undigested animal) that story would make its rounds QUICK. Anyway, all hail to lemmiwinks, the gerbil king!

This game is hopefully going to be half as awesome as I imagine. And I sure hope, later on, you guys implement a... building sim style element. Like plantations, drug labs and how-you-call-em bootleg shops, where you can pirate movies, music and videogames.

With awesome random name generators for said media!

Oh and what always entertains me are videogames in videogames. Maybe you could add an arcade (which you can rob or at which you can sell drugs to minors, of course) in which you could play that crime focused roguelike game itself. Maybe there is even room for a witty joke about how the game is so real, because its just like the rest of the gameworld.

It would act as a sandbox. you wouldnt really need to be afraid to die or anything, since its just a game, and could try out stuff. Then you would play all day, get tired (in RL), get out of the arcade, forget that you're not playing that videogame inside the videogame anymore and YASD ensues. \o/

Also, I need to make at least one sprite for that game, so I can say I contributed. gimme something you need so I can go all pixelart on that fooker.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:43:46 am by Puck »

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 10, 2010, 10:04:15 am »

I work in an emergency department so there's no surprising me.

Macro/sim elements are planned and there are a lot of fun things we can do with that.

Video games in video games? I'll number that as feature ∞ + 1. It's not impossible, but I'd rather work on anything besides that.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 10, 2010, 11:25:16 am »

I totally agree.

But seriously, have you ever seen a small animal up a butt? I bet not. But I bet you seen other objects, or at least heard of them. But supposedly no medical records of gerbilling(yes, it has a name) exist.

Just for the record: I know this because a friend of mine despises Burt Reynolds. And she despises him because she accused him of gerbilling. I did some research, because I just had to rehabilitate the Bandit.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:34:16 am by Puck »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #514 on: September 10, 2010, 11:45:28 am »

OOO! I want car chases!

West bound and down, eighteen wheels are rollin' ,
we're gonna do what they say can't be done.
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.
I'm west bound, just watch ol' "Bandit" run.

Keep your foot hard on the pedal. Son, never mind them brakes.
Let it all hang out 'cause we got a run to make.
The boys are thirsty in Atlanta and there's beer in Texarcana.
And we'll bring it back no matter what it takes.

Ol' Smokey's got them ears on and he's hot on your trail.
He aint gonna rest 'til you're in jail.
So you got to dodge 'im and you got to duck 'im,
you got to keep that diesel truckin'.
Just put that hammer down and give it hell.

I got nothing

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: September 10, 2010, 10:14:54 pm »

"A goblin kidnapper has made it with Rawr 359, MD the child".

Haha, I see where it came from now! ;D

Wha who what? Is that from a let's play? I've been in a lot, which one would that be?
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 12, 2010, 03:56:59 am »

I put a few guns into the game with nice little sprites and everything. :D

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #517 on: September 12, 2010, 02:28:00 pm »

Ok... how the hell do I download all of this? To me, the SVN looks like a pile of code. And I don't know what to do with it D=
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 12, 2010, 02:43:43 pm »

Consider figuring out how to get the game the test to see if you should be playing it. If you can't figure it out with google odds are you probably wouldn't get any enjoyment from the game at it's current pre-alpha state.

Never healing left leg injuries and head trauma are are all parts of natural birth in the Crimelike world. Life sucks.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 12, 2010, 02:46:37 pm »

Easier to say this:

Crime-focused roguelike thats ultra-realistic and full of stuff you can do like Dwarf Fortress. I wanna run a mafia. :O

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 12, 2010, 02:47:55 pm »

Easier to say this:

Crime-focused roguelike thats ultra-realistic and full of stuff you can do like Dwarf Fortress. I wanna run a mafia. :O

I wish we could say that.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 12, 2010, 02:56:06 pm »

Easier to say this:

I wish we could say that.
Someone with $4,000/month, and no programmers cept himself and some guy to fix sdl bugs. You CAN say it. <.<

But yeah... with payments on a roguelike it'd probably be low very low if no graphics are settled. Come now, a version of DF thats focused on the modern times of crime, and stuff is awesome, being able to control any type of crime-related syndicate and all that, including cop briberies and shit.

And hell, a futuristic one too. Your imagination is the only limit... only problem... if you can dig into Z-Levels on every world... oh my god, here comes the LAG that can crash any computer that isn't a high-end.. um... server? mainframe? ???

But yesh, crime-focused roguelike thats AWESOME.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 12, 2010, 03:16:45 pm »

Someone with $4,000/month, and no programmers cept himself and some guy to fix sdl bugs. You CAN say it. <.<

I'll say it when it's true. Not saying it won't ever be something we can say.

But yeah... with payments on a roguelike it'd probably be low very low if no graphics are settled.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 12, 2010, 04:39:47 pm »

I'll say it when it's true. Not saying it won't ever be something we can say.

So we can't count on Toady?

But yeah... with payments on a roguelike it'd probably be low very low if no graphics are settled.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Paying a lot of money on work for Roguelike games isn't worth to pay too much on.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 12, 2010, 05:58:51 pm »

Uh, I was "insulting" this project, not DF. I was just saying that we can't say that this is in any way has the realism of DF or much of anything at the moment. We just aren't that far along. More of a complement to Toady than anything.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 48