Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 93288 times)

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #525 on: September 12, 2010, 06:00:33 pm »

As a general update for people who come by to the thread, I'd just like to state that the PiratePads are pretty much inactive now, thanks to the Forums. The Forums are bustling with excitement, and people with any sort of fun idea should go and make an account and post it. People are pretty active!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 13, 2010, 06:05:54 am »

Toady One has been working on his dwarf game for like, what? Four years now? I think we'll have something to show if interest stays up for that long.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 13, 2010, 10:28:19 am »

All my time has been going to trying to get a nice city generator up and running. The first attempt I went for maximum CPU efficiency, which in the case means that the code was very complicated from my end. Combining that with frequent interruptions and suddenly, my own code was becoming too complicated for me to work with. It made some street maps, but most of them had some flaws I didn't know where to fix.

So I tried again and this time I went for a version a bit more friendlier to me. It was laying down streets that looked good, but the edges looked terrible. Fixing the edges ended up screwing the middle. After enough back and forth with that I'm currently on attempt #3.

This attempt is going to focus on the reverse method, laying the plots down and then filling in the streets. It's working a lot better so far.

All of this would be far easier if I wasn't so insistent on having the exact directions and unique tiles for every type of intersection. Hopefully, it'll result in much nicer looking street tiles.

Lots of hours, not wasted, but it's not as productive as I would have liked. I'm going to keep chugging along on this. I want the whole city generation thing implemented before Civ V comes out and I take a break for a few days.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #528 on: September 13, 2010, 11:27:39 am »

Consider figuring out how to get the game the test to see if you should be playing it. If you can't figure it out with google odds are you probably wouldn't get any enjoyment from the game at it's current pre-alpha state.
Meh, I guess I could TRY to figure out which script goes where.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 13, 2010, 01:36:51 pm »

After all those discussions about orifices I'm tempted to say "Script goes WHERE?!?", but I think we've got enough of those by now.

So I'll ask again:
I want to do ONE sprite/tile whatever. I think I'm talented enough to provide ONE friggin piece of pixelart. But I'm lazy and not really motivated to properly contribute.

So, what would you guys think you could need? A syringe? A player sprite? A stack of money? Sunglasses? Anything?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 13, 2010, 01:50:30 pm »

Can people that aren't contributing to the coding whatsoever please pipe down about "what's possible?" Nothing worse than arm chair lurkers who tell you what's possible while not actually doing anything.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 13, 2010, 04:10:36 pm »

Can people that aren't contributing to the coding whatsoever please pipe down about "what's possible?" Nothing worse than arm chair lurkers who tell you what's possible while not actually doing anything.

Aw, no one's doing that. I think people just want to help.

And, for Puck? There's lots of sprites available for the working. Sign up at the forums and check out any of the weapon lists or the loot lists. Could use a wallet, a purse, cash, credit cards...or you can try your hand with a crossbow, etc etc.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 13, 2010, 04:24:49 pm »

It's a quirk of mine that I try to avoid signing up for more and more stuff, but hey, if its viewable without registration...

at any rate, after some shuteye, I'll try a wad of cash or something :D

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 14, 2010, 10:29:55 pm »

Alright, the macro street maps are coming out well now and I might be able to have the whole thing up on the SVN soon enough.

Each tile seen here represents a 5x5 block of tiles or whatever the final block size becomes. The building plots can also include back alleys and anything we want, so there may actually be more streets and passageways than you see here.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 15, 2010, 12:06:44 am »

Holy crap, are you serious? That's faster than expected work. Hey, how come you didn't go and create your own game years before, if you had this kind of skill?

Anyhow, I'm still doing the sprites. Almost every single weapon sprite is finished. Ones needed include prison crossbow, hunting crossbow, frag grenade, and apache revolver, if anyone wants to take a shot at those. I'll be taking a break for a few days to get ready for some real life stuff, and then I should return to do some tile work and make some sprites for loot and peoplez.

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 15, 2010, 12:25:36 am »

Sorry to interrupt your hatred, but you guys have no working binary yet, right? Just tons of self-importance. ^^

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 15, 2010, 12:39:28 am »

Sorry to interrupt your hatred, but you guys have no working binary yet, right? Just tons of self-importance. ^^

Nenjin's just sensitive to that stuff. Probably been through experiences with coding with people who misdirected a project through saying a lot of things, but not doing much.

That said, check out the SVN! The game is entirely playable, though in a very alpha-y state. Lap's done some kickass work on code, and I'd like to say that I've done some good work with spriting, as have many, many others. Everyone's pitched in a lot together, and I'm kind of glad about progress. I didn't expect Lap to finish up a good map generation algorithm this quickly. Sense my jubilance!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 15, 2010, 02:42:21 am »

It's just irritating to hear "if Toady One can do it...", when the people that are coding are having to handle, well, everything and learn as they go. I live to make things easier for them to do right now. Throwing stuff like that out doesn't help. We actually having a thing you can screw around with, with no tiles set, no stats, no guts or anything.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:45:03 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 15, 2010, 03:26:04 am »

Hey guys. I was having a bit of a "mind clash", wondering if I should stay or if I should go and do my own thing. The first one won, thank goodness. Anyway, I was about to throw in the towel... When I finally found the engine Ref sheet. Oh thank God, I am saved. I shall start at once.  :)

EDIT: For info, i'm dealing with the basic AI code. Fun times.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:28:27 am by nuker w »

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 15, 2010, 04:03:21 pm »

Alright, here's a screenshot of some weapon object-adding. I added a few guns and stuff...and I made the subtype of the shotgun a rifle. Which is probably wrong. I'll change it in a bit! >.> The clothing and other objects still don't have pictures yet, as of now.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 48