Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 93378 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2010, 06:11:17 pm »

That's OK. All the important stuff get's reposted here anyways. Before too much coding gets figured out the core character stats need to be decided.

The two main contenders are

1. Standard D&D style str, dex, etc.

2. SPECIALesque (Fallout's system)

Though really, there's nothing limiting us to either if there are any better ideas.

Levels are a bit trickier. Should there be levels? If there are levels how do you get them? Do you get them by leveling up so many skills (Elder Scrolls) or by getting experience points?

How should skills improve? Through use or training? Through applying experience points?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2010, 06:15:25 pm »

Skill based systems are always better to me than level based. But that's widely up to taste.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2010, 06:18:37 pm »

We are taking a realistic approach to this game, correct?
If so there should be no levels. You don't level up in real life.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2010, 06:23:56 pm »

I want to wish you good luck with this project, I will keep an eye on this, I'm interested in seeing a crime based roguelike being made. I wish I could help, but all I could do is offer suggestions as I don't really have any programming experience outside Visual Basic.

Also, I would like it if you did a DF-esque body system, instead of HP. It could make the game more interesting, say you are running from a robbery and get shot in the leg, fall over and crawl away, and just barely escape. Or just roll over and shoot your pursuers in a last stand type thing.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:34:49 pm by dbfuru »

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2010, 06:27:44 pm »

Another consideration to take into account with the realism is how proficient you can become at something.

No matter how skilled you are, you will always fail some of the time. With some more advanced forms of security, it's practically impossible for a single person to bypass directly.

You'll have to be able to manipulate people (like what was being discussed before) to be most effective. You won't really break into Mr.Richmansuperalarm's house in the middle of the night and murder him, or even UristMcPoorGuy who might have the common sense to dead-bolt his door.

It's much more practical for a killer to do something like pick up a girl (or guy) and take them behind some building to make out.

With knives and guns.

More than anything being proficient should come from better equipment. No matter how good you are with a pistol, you really can't beat 2 or more cops in a firefight. However, if they came in with pistol and you had, say, an assault rifle, that's another story.

What I would also suggest is that awesome Bourne-style hand to hand be added into the game. Just an option. To be totally badass. I've always wanted to be abl - play a game where you could beat people up like that.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2010, 06:44:55 pm »

I kind of like D&D stats, but we could modify them a bit.

Muscle - determines physical damage, how much character could carry
Constitution - Resistance to illness, poison, fatigue
Coordination - determines accuracy, things like lockpicking
Intelligence - intelligence based skills, hiding your trails
Charisma - making people like you, all that
Willpower - whether your character could weather non-physical stress, especially if the game implements that status-type idea with concern/worry/fear
Perception - helps you notice things that you might normally miss (sounds and details)

I'd prefer no leveling. Using a skill to get better at it. For example, with sneaking, there has to be someone around before you'd gain practice with the skill.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2010, 06:56:22 pm »

I agree, skills should go up by use but you shouldn't be able to reach any kind of superhuman levels with it.
Shoes...

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2010, 07:03:28 pm »

For the love of Armok, don't use numbers to represent your stats in the game. The hoax interface looked unique because it ignored the usual RL conventions of placing numbered stats all over the place. Maybe it's just me, but I've passed on many a roguelike because the developer used an interface that looked interchangeable from the hordes of dungeon crawling clones that are out there.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2010, 07:09:34 pm »

I think we should have a daily/weekly dev/coding session, at to prevent inactivity, and to make it easier to collaborate. I'm pretty sure Piratepad would work for this. What about 6 P.M. Central Standard Time(UTC -06)?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2010, 07:19:57 pm »

I would also like to avoid using a lot of numbers, at least in the actual interface.  Obviously the stats would be represented by numbers, but maybe abstract them out for the player.
Shoes...

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2010, 07:26:30 pm »

Also, we must be able to jump off roofs of buildings into a window of another building.
The randomly generated FBI agents would be all like "woah".
Which reminds me, is this just going to be the bad guys, or could we have the option of being law enforcement?
It be cool if you could play as a mole inside the mob.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2010, 07:30:56 pm »

Which reminds me, is this just going to be the bad guys, or could we have the option of being law enforcement?
It be cool if you could play as a mole inside the mob.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here xD

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2010, 07:32:24 pm »

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here xD
Not for the first version of course, just something to think about for later on.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2010, 07:42:29 pm »

Alright, I don't know code but I was seriously intrigued by the SK RL and am already intrigued by this Roguelike.

I'm posting just to say you have a fan in me, and to offer some creative advice that has worked for me with other things in the past:

1. Don't burn yourself out thinking about features that you'll implement 'later on', think about what you're gonna do right now, figure out what things you want in straight away (character creation, a couple of basic locations, very simple AI/NPCs). If you keep brainstorming about what you want in the game you won't actually get any work done.

2. The idea about getting together at a certain time to work on the game is brilliant.

3. Ignore fan suggestions, you may end up making promises that you can't fulfill in the finished product.

4. Give yourself goals to work toward every month, like Toady makes a list of the features he's working on for the next update.

5. You've got a huge amount of support here, so maybe you should aim to release an alpha some time soon before the support starts to diminish?

(Alright, the last one was a thinly veiled 'I WANT TO TEST IT' request, but the rest were serious, honest)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2010, 07:50:47 pm »

Putting in my 2˘.

I'd like to see some of the things I mentioned in the old thread get applied to this, like the jumping features and such (especially applied to rooftop jumping and other methods of escape); along with buildings with fire escapes (only taller than 4z or something).

I had other good ideas I think. I'll have to sniff them out, but I'll link them (or edit my post) when I find them. Spoilered for your convenience.

Spoiler: Alternate Modes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Flaws (click to show/hide)

Disguises are a definite must (no need to fully quote). More charisma, better chances of working.

EDIT:
So many pages to thumb through. This could take awhile. Done.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 08:16:56 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 48