Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 93269 times)

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #690 on: July 28, 2011, 08:14:43 pm »

Man this sounds awesome. Is it still being developed?
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 28, 2011, 08:29:24 pm »

The main developer on it seems to be working sporadically on it. It's like a personal project for him now, mainly because the rest of us didn't know enough code. There are still archives of various sprites and images made for it, but it's just him coding, all alone.

;_;

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 28, 2011, 10:18:45 pm »

The main developer on it seems to be working sporadically on it. It's like a personal project for him now, mainly because the rest of us didn't know enough code. There are still archives of various sprites and images made for it, but it's just him coding, all alone.

;_;
Send him cookies. Every day.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 22, 2012, 11:59:07 pm »

Resurrecting to ask if this is completely dead?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 23, 2012, 05:53:55 am »

This looks like his blog http://skrogue.wordpress.com/ and he posted about a month ago, so looks like he's still on it, if not exactly ripping through it...

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 23, 2012, 08:47:25 am »

Ill make music for the game if you adf a plumber class, turtles and mushrooms then rename it to "Super Dario World 3"
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 14, 2012, 09:17:25 pm »

Resurrecting to ask if this is completely dead?

Mostly dead. I still have a copy of the forums and all the code, so nothing was lost. Project stopped mainly because I couldn't continue as essentially the only coder when I have other projects to finish. I did check out the ToME and the T-Engine (engine this was built on) extensively this last week or so. The T-Engine is a great engine, but the engine was changing very rapidly. It has since gone through more than 25 major releases.

These releases were making it hard for me to work. Things kept changing and I'd have to redo code. Now the T-Engine is a lot more powerful and a lot more stable, so resuming work would be a lot easier than before.

That being said, the project still will not be able to be completed by me as sole programmer simply because of time restraints. If more people eventually help out (possibly some of the ToME people I was talking with in IRC), then maybe the project can get back up and running. Plans are on hold for the time being. If anyone is willing to take up the banner or wants to help coding we can talk about reopening the project.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 13, 2014, 01:44:15 am »

I suppose this is dead, however, is there anywhere I could download it or the source code?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 13, 2014, 04:22:00 am »

Judging by what I saw of it I'm not sure there was ever anything to kill.  It mostly seemed like people bouncing ideas off of each other with very little actual work being done outside of a few people.
Shoes...

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 13, 2014, 05:16:03 am »

I liked the inventory system and it seems it was working...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 13, 2014, 06:08:23 am »

I'd like discuss sponsoring this project and see what the community feels. My game releases in Sept/October and sales projections are all over the place depending on when I actually release. If I should end up anywhere near the middle of those projections or higher, I will have some money to work with beyond my studio's next two simultaneous titles.

If that is the case, would you be interested in my use of resources to help progress this game? I see two key issues at play and a third minor. The first is the nature of the beast which is organization. Since it's an open source project there is a lot of wasted time and energy figuring out what to work on and finding a community consensus. The second time is a lack of dedicated programming hours.

This is merely talk right now, but it's the time for such discussions. First, if the assistance is welcome I would initially bring in a project management expert to consult and organize the project with a 30, 60  and 90 day plan followed by a 1 and 3 year timeline. I would pay them to provide 3 hours a week after that to keep up on recording progress and maintaining the track with assignment for those producing.

Speaking of producing, I would pay a stipend for 2 part time programmers. Ideally one would be Lap. It would be best if they could commit to 40 or 60 hours a month in exchange for a reasonable stipend.

Is there any interest in this? My reasons are purely philanthropic. I believe gamers have wanted this game since our emotions were toyed with so long ago. I thing a commercial attempt would be met with demand and then severe damage and finally pitchforks due to the media. This is the best way imho.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 18, 2014, 01:12:53 am »

If this eventuated I would spend an unhealthy amount of time playing it.
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 18, 2014, 03:05:36 am »

I always wonder if it would be possible to develop a game through some sort of bounty system. You start out with the very basic framework of a game and post a bounty for, say, the inventory system. Who ever can provide code for a drop in inventory system that meets a set of requirements in a set time line wins 200 dollars.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 18, 2014, 03:39:54 am »

That's an interesting idea, but it might be better to use a bidding system instead. Treat improvements as contracts put up for tender, developers bid time & cost, players put payments into a pool to be used for improvements and get to vote on contract approval, based on how much they have contributed. If only a few people vote, then the payment only comes out of their personal contributions, that keeps it fair and would make approvals and voting fast since you wouldn't need many people online at a time.

If the developer hasn't delivered by the deadline then the contract goes public again - but the existing developer is free to resubmit a bid ("I just need two more days!" etc).

This sort of model would possibly help to reduce delays waiting for improvements from people who had promised to deliver. Maybe if they go over the agreed time then the bounty starts to fall.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 03:42:43 am by Reelya »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 18, 2014, 05:59:54 am »

Fikes,

It is possible. I built the prototype for Arms Dealer that way on Guru.com and Freelancer.com    even better is that they bid themselves down to the lowest price. The downside is anyone who bids less than $75/day to do something is unlikely to complete it. Even in India or Indonesia.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48