Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 92849 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 02:55:55 pm »

WTF http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/29/after-murder-park-serial-killer-rogue-faked/
ALL THAT TIME WAITING UNTIL SHOT DOWN I DUNNO WHICH FACE TO USE:  >:( or  :'(

major ninjad
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:05:05 pm by bloodsheder »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 03:01:21 pm »

Nobody cares anymore, and this is a completely different thread.
Shoes...

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 03:04:13 pm »

All I want is a reference to the SK RL hoax. oh and game-play's a good direction too.
Make it selectable class but when you do all you get is message: "You want serial killer? You can't have one yada yada"

Begin serial killer, thief etc. shouldn't be some fixed class but something you become depending on your actions.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 03:04:24 pm »

ah shit major ninjad

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 03:16:40 pm »

Maybe just make it a skill-based thing?  You get such and such points and you allocate them to like

--Deviant Dexterity
Surreptitiousness
Sleight of Hand
Avoidance

--Deceit and Deception
Chicanery
Disguisery

--Aggressive Actions
Fisticuffs
Blunderbussery
Pistoliering
Swashbuckling
Machine Rifles
Repeater Rifles
Shoes...

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 03:17:35 pm »

Is anyone going to actually make this? Honestly a game that I would want to see is SKR. Exactly the format of the videos with all of our suggestions.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 03:18:24 pm »

It probably won't be the exact format.

I'm considering learning a bit of lua so I can contribute something.
Shoes...

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2010, 03:24:25 pm »

May I suggest TE4 To use as an engine to speed things along, at least for a proof of concept. For those who dont know its ToME Engine 4. It might even make it easier to have multiple people work on it at the same time. Its pretty much just lua scripting written around a very nice roguelike engine.
Edit: Im an idiot, I should have finished reading the entire first post. If there is help needed, I can contribute. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 03:27:26 pm by Grishnak »
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 03:26:04 pm »

Oh, that's the ToME engine?  Kickass, we know it's powerful.
Shoes...

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 03:27:35 pm »

Quote from: Lap
Most likely would be using an existing RL engine to save time (probably TE4). If someone really feels up to being project lead, by all means take the reigns. I just don't want to see so much scattered effort.

That's my vote as well. Even those of you without any coding experience can easily make items, content, and levels for the T-Engine. Not to mention it has damn near every basic function you could ever imagine. It even supports cloud based saves and online achievements. Very impressive.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 03:33:39 pm »

Ill definately help with some of the meat and potatoes coding, just dont ask me to be the lead, I already have a few things Im working on as it is. I also suggest using piratepad.net for some real time coding adventures that saves sessions. Its basicly Etherpad minus the google buy out and shut down. :)
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 03:34:31 pm »

I kind of like the idea, but I'd love it if you weren't limited to being a "criminal". There is, for example, a lot of grey area in being a vigilante.It would be awesome if I could design a costume, wander the streets a night, bring my own special brand of justice. You could set of little hideouts all over town, like converted warehouses, where you could store equipment, extra costumes, torture chambers interrogation rooms, etc.

TL;DR - Batman simulator.

On another note, a game like this is practically screaming for a classless advancement system. You can use "classes" (or "archetypes", or whatever), but if you set them as starting packages (which grant you starting skills and distribute attributes), then we could be whoever we want (and whatever we're forced to become depending on in-game interactions).

Addiction would be a good thing to model in this game. You could even have it apply to things that aren't drugs. For example, if I mutilate the bodies of a couple victims (take a pinky or ear as a souvenir, for example), then maybe the next time I leave a corpse behind that I don't do that to I take a temporary stat hit, which gets increasingly worse until I do. Or if I go a long time without doing the behavior. Cannibalism would fall under that too. In fact, behavioral addiction would be a good way for someone that had a different archetype to end up becoming a Serial Killer. And if you have the Serial Killer Archetype, you would start with a behavioral addiction.

For inspiration, I second Liberal Crime Squad (I love its Skill system), and also suggest Demon's Souls.
Maybe just make it a skill-based thing?  You get such and such points and you allocate them to like

--Deviant Dexterity
Surreptitiousness
Sleight of Hand
Avoidance

--Deceit and Deception
Chicanery
Disguisery

--Aggressive Actions
Fisticuffs
Blunderbussery
Pistoliering
Swashbuckling
Machine Rifles
Repeater Rifles

^Yeah, a skill system like that, where using the skill gives you small upgrades over time, or you can pay to train them. (Though that could tie into the Heat system. If someone was obviously killed by an expert knife fighter, and you have a history of knife training, TA-DA! You're a potential suspect!!  :D )

Behavioral and Chemical addictions could have their own status screen, where they would appear when you get them, and have levels of their own. The more you feed the addiction, the more XP it gets, and the harder it is to feed, while the penalties for failing to feed them become worse. You lose XP on the addiction once you begin feeling the penalty, and the XP loss is greater the lower your addiction level. Ergo, the less addicted you are, the easier it is to quit.

As for the penalties, Chemical Addictions (such as Alcohol and other drugs, and maybe even Adrenaline (combat high from commiting muder)) would give you Stat penalties, and maybe HP loss (Temporary Max HP, Permanent Max HP, or current HP loss over time, depending on what you're addicted to and how bad it's fucking you up.). Behavioral Addictions could cause you to Pass Out, Increase Appetite (if we're implementing a Satiation system), make you occasionally go Berserk, or have Hallucinatory effects (the screen becomes full of enemies (disguised NPC's) that you think are trying to attack you).

Okay, I think that's enough. I'm not trying to turn this into an Addiction Rougelike, just had an idea that I liked and am running with it. I think it would make for a nice feature though.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 03:35:01 pm »

be cool to look at the code for lcs and see how that wounding system works.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 03:38:00 pm »

Ideally, I'd prefer freeform skills as well with all the character types I mention simply describe your starting situation skills and optional end game goals.

As far as addiction and drugs, considering I'm already tooling around with that to help some other guy with his TE4 engine mod it's a safe bet that I'll put them in if TE4 is the engine.

As for playing as a vigilante, I can't think of any reason why you couldn't play as one. You'd still have to worry about all the same stuff as the average criminal.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 03:45:54 pm »

Ideally, I'd prefer freeform skills as well with all the character types I mention simply describe your starting situation skills and optional end game goals.

As far as addiction and drugs, considering I'm already tooling around with that to help some other guy with his TE4 engine mod it's a safe bet that I'll put them in if TE4 is the engine.

As for playing as a vigilante, I can't think of any reason why you couldn't play as one. You'd still have to worry about all the same stuff as the average criminal.

Weee!!

Looking foreward to this. Put me down as a beta tester, please.

Oh, and please use a numpad/arrowkey control scheme. Nethack's VI scheme, and Rogue's HYUBJKWhateverthefuck controls have never made a damn bit of sense to me, which is sad because it's popular control set with a lot of roguelikes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48