Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 92824 times)

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 03:49:14 pm »

ALSO PUT ME AS A BETA TESTER UNNNHH YES.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 04:02:59 pm »

So will this thing have "questionable" stuff like corpse mutilation, realistic child NPCs, torture, rape, doing drugs yourself, and jaywalking?
I vote it should.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 04:04:16 pm »

So will this thing have "questionable" stuff like corpse mutilation, realistic child NPCs, limitedtorture (And maybe not even that), rape, doing drugs yourself, and jaywalking?
I vote it should.
Shoes...

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 04:07:28 pm »

Oh good. Three pages in and Armok is being creepy already.

Well, creepier than usual, anyway.

So will this thing have "questionable" stuff like corpse mutilation, realistic child NPCs, limitedtorture (And maybe not even that), rape, doing drugs yourself, and jaywalking?
I vote it should.

Thank you, my good man, for fixing that.  :D

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 04:12:47 pm »

I vote it should.
Also, I'd like to beta-test. Though I admit, deciding on a base engine/template to use, if we even do decide to do that, will be hard. We want to make a expandable game that has many features, and some engines/templates have limitations, and we want to know whether or not we want to live with those.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 04:16:26 pm »

The faster I beta-test this, the faster I don't have to worry about doing a "Pacifist" Serial Killer LP.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 04:16:52 pm »

Meh, it's not like we can't do the stuff Armok commented on DF already. So what's the fuss?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 04:20:49 pm »

I disagree with the whole character type thing. Hitmans are serial killers, they fall under comfort killer since they do it for profit.
It should just be skills that you can choose and you take the jobs you want.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 04:22:27 pm »

Some questions.

Graphical or ASCII?  Maybe semigraphical like the original video?

Also, how are we going to set up the game world?  Rendering the whole city at once is probably not doable, I was thinking it'd probably be easier to have an LCS-like interface, with a bunch of dialogues for various actions, organization, etc. and only getting to the nitty gritty once you've actually traveled to a location.

Or maybe instead of being strictly location-based you travel to various districts.  That would be a bit less limiting.
Shoes...

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 04:23:55 pm »

Districts would work out best, that way certain crime families can own certain districts.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2010, 04:24:06 pm »

I disagree with the whole character type thing. Hitmans are serial killers, they fall under comfort killer since they do it for profit.
It should just be skills that you can choose and you take the jobs you want.

This isn't just an attempt at making a real SKR. It's a crime focused roguelike. So we're trying to make the game bigger and more crime-y.

Some questions.

Also, how are we going to set up the game world?  Rendering the whole city at once is probably not doable, I was thinking it'd probably be easier to have an LCS-like interface, with a bunch of dialogues for various actions, organization, etc. and only getting to the nitty gritty once you've actually traveled to a location.

Or maybe instead of being strictly location-based you travel to various districts.  That would be a bit less limiting.

I vote ASCII.

I vote the one town thing like CK claimed to be doing. That sounded cool. Maybe you could make your own maps and download them?

Districts sound good too.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2010, 04:29:03 pm »

There has to be crime families. And each crime family should have different advantages, like better firearms or judges and police cheifs in their pocket.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2010, 04:34:30 pm »

Districts sound good, but maybe other crime-familys actions and stuff are simulated when your not in that district?
There should be Serial Killer possibilitys, but we shouldn't waste our whole time on it. I think maybe the whole urge to kill thing and stuff, and you might kill yourself out of guilt, etc. And the police should be able to track you, but not the whole dismemberment thing until later on.
I vote Semi-graphical.

I vote random generation of towns and crime mafias, etc.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2010, 04:34:46 pm »

That sounds really artificial though.

Crime families should be procedurally generated, able to form and disperse based on game events and player actions (Including sufficiently powerful and influential players creating their own crime families)), and advantages should be entirely based on what the family has accomplished.

If the Martini family successfully establishes a stranglehold on a local weapons trade, they'd have better guns.  If the Stromboli family hires some cleaners (Including Leo Tortellini, the Player Character) to go in as a team and clear out the Martinis, they cease to exist.

At least, that's how I think it should be in the final version.  For early builds an artificial placeholder system where the Martinis, Stombolis, Yamaguchis, and the Midnight Crew are always in the game and they all have clear advantages and disadvantages just for the purpose of testing interactions is probably fine.
Shoes...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2010, 04:36:11 pm »

Some questions.

Graphical or semigraphical please.
I can't play ASCII games and it would be a shame to miss out on it should it ever come out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 48