Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 93277 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2010, 09:20:07 pm »

I wish I could help with this project more then just suggesting ideas.
Anyway, besides shooting though windows, how about shooting though wood?

Shooting through walls in general. Weapons should have a penetration factor (1, 2, 3), as should walls and body armor. For example, a .22 rifle would have a penetration factor of 1, meaning that it can't punch through body armor (factor 2) or wood (factor 1) or walls (factor 3). Fists would have a penetration factor of 0. And so on.
Well, maybe as you go up in Strength your fists get higher penetration factors? Hell, people who go to martial arts can break through fucking bricks. So maybe at highest strength you can punch through walls, but it alerts people in the area and slightly damages your fists?

Individual bricks, but not whole walls. Being able to punch through a wall and tear out the heart of the person standing on the other side would be totally bad-ass, though, but more of a "Slasher Roguelike" type deal.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 30, 2010, 09:24:22 pm »

Also, a wall isn't just a thin sheet of bricks.  If you punch a metal stud you're going to ruin your hand.
Shoes...

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2010, 09:24:56 pm »

A second attempt at spriting, also known as why I don't usually sprite.  It's a shovel, I think.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2010, 09:27:40 pm »

And done.

How are the human sprites? Are they going to be randomized, a la Rogue Survivor? If so, I'll go and whip up more stuff if the others think it's alright.

Martial artists breaking through bricks is a little different from random strong criminal breaking people. And I think it'd take a while to break a wall with your bare hands, so unless it adds a lot to the game...though it'd be pretty kickass to bust down a wall after several turns, and encounter the people inside the house huddled far away on the other side, screaming expletives or generally freaking out. Yeah, I don't know. Maybe you could bust down cheap housing, and rudimentary barriers, but not well-constructed walls with your bare hands.

In regards to organizing this, it might be useful for someone to guide/gather info, and do the floorwork for determining what graphics and stuff we've gotten done. Lap is doing the coding, and has already coded quite a bit for the framework and locational damage, and is also working on making a map generation system, too. So I'd figure just leave him to organize the code and his stuff, and have x2yzh9 make lists of what we have agreed on so far, as a rough design map.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2010, 09:30:05 pm »

Let's do this in the thread for now, then set up probably a blog or something when we've got it off the ground.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2010, 09:31:59 pm »

I just realize something, if we are going to be able to penetrate walls, we should be able to do the same to doors. With axes.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2010, 09:36:38 pm »

I'm in favor of ASCII, and then possibly a tile based version.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2010, 09:51:22 pm »

Could we perhaps do it entirely tile-based, but with a default ASCII tileset?
Shoes...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2010, 10:03:13 pm »

It'd probably be pretty easy for a strong person to punch (or otherwise smash) through drywall, or particularly flimsy wood (think lightweight interior door), though they probably couldn't tear it down with their bare hands in a timely fashion, and would probably suffer minor injuries for it.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2010, 10:04:32 pm »

Yeah but a wall that uses Drywall typically isn't a single sheet of it, so there's also the ranged factor.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2010, 10:07:26 pm »

Well, we're talking total-ghetto houses or warehouses here. Ones that are cockroach infested, etc. etc. Wood walls, maybe Drywall would work for punching through walls, but it'd be very disadvantageous.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2010, 10:09:36 pm »

A second attempt at spriting, also known as why I don't usually sprite.  It's a shovel, I think.

Yay shovel. We should be able to use shovels to bash the crap out of people's heads.

Alright, going all the way back to the discussion on attributes...what should we do? Lap made a quick skilllist that I'll expand/expound on a bit, and...

CRIMINALY SKILLS - theft would use coordination, electronics I'd say intelligence, mechanics...not sure what Lap meant for these.

-Theft
--Lockpicking
--Pickpocketing
-Electronics
--Computers
--Hotwiring
-Mechanics (subtypes for certain specialized modifications)

SPEAKING SKILLS -uses charisma and probably intelligence
-Persuasion
--Haggling
--Smooth Talking (would work to worm out of situations/seduce?)
--Intimidation
-Leadership - mix of charisma and intelligence?

-Streetwise - I was thinking streetwise could be used to blend into crowds as well as all the other streetwisy things?

COMBAT SKILLS
-Firearms (should it be divided into pistol, rifle, shotgun and the like, or small arms, medium, heavy arms? definitely uses coordination, or equivalent stat)
-Explosives
-Throwing

MELEE SKILLS - muscle, yeah

-Martial Arts (maybe specific ones for nonlethal or submission holds)
-Melee Weapons (possibly subtypes for weird ones like chains)

-Driving -hmmm. Probably implemented much later.

STEALTH SKILLS - should use perception, since you'd need to be perceptive to know what people look for...
-Sneaking - coordination or whatever movement stat we have..agility, maybe, if that goes in
-"Looking for something that essentially means being able to blend into a crowd" --maybe streetwise could have something to do with this
-Fitness (climbing, running...) --combined with parkour, probably, or have it be a subtype
-Disguises - this should use int
-Urban acrobatics/Parkour

---

So there's my attempt to categorize. Throw in some input and more skills!

Cthulhu was in favor of these attributes,

Muscle
Constitution
Coordination
Intelligence
Charisma
Willpower
Perception

with a Reflex attribute added in as a combo of coordination and perception. How should we make the stats so it's most balanced, and there's a use for each one? Currently, according to the skill system that Lap made up there, constitution and willpower are least needed for skills, which is perfect, since those two are more 'defensive' in nature. It seems that it might be good though to ...better delineate all of this, since constitution is sort of like our agility stat now, and I'm not sure that'd be accurate? Never mind, I'm just vomiting ideas down right now. Someone help me.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2010, 10:11:11 pm »

Coordination is the agility stat.  I still think Constitution and Coordination are way too similar-sounding, and one of them should be changed.
Shoes...

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2010, 10:15:13 pm »

Endurance, then, instead of Con?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2010, 10:20:38 pm »

Or kinesthetics for coordination if we want to be dumb.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48