Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 92850 times)

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #435 on: September 05, 2010, 04:42:57 am »

I can't find a link to download this anywhere. D:

It's still in development so you'll need to use svn to get it from https://crimelike.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/crimelike. You'll also need to use the T-Engine at http://te4.org/Download if you want to run it.

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 05, 2010, 08:46:00 am »

I've read the entire thread and I want this game.

In the first few pages of the thread people were talking about getting families and gangs, etc. I've been walking around with an idea for this a long time now but didn't get around starting it. I do think my idea can be a great addition for this game.

It's basically based around the mechanics of Crusader Kings by Paradox. There are 4 basic tiers for characters. Tier 0 are your courtiers and they have no real power. Tier 1 consists of counts, they hold land and produce income from that, they pay tribute to a higher tier (2 or 3). Tier 2 is the duke who holds land but also has vassals (tier 1) that pay tribute to them. Tier 3 is the king, he holds land but has tier 2 and 1 characters under him paying him tribute. Characters only have on liege so some counts report directly to a king while others report only to a duke, but not the duke's king.

I think this system can be perfectly adapted to an organized crime system for a game.

You basically have tier 0 characters who are not directly associated with an organization. They can be civilians, cops, journalists, petty criminals, unassociated hitmen, etc. Tier 1 would be the soldiers who hold a street corner to sell drugs, pimp out prostitutes, etc. They can have tier 0 people working for them on a salary basis to help him secure his corner etc, but the tier 0 people aren't part of the organization. Tier 1 pays a large part of their income towards tier 2 who would be the lieutenants or capo's. They can also have the street corners but are more likely into more advanced forms of crime, like the production or importation of drugs, extortion or whatever you can think of. They receive money from Tier 1 but have to pay Tier 3. Tier 3 is the boss who is more likely less busy with everyday crime but is making sure his organization is safe and is trying to expand.

This can also fit into the justice system. Tier 1 and 2 are likely targets for violent crime investigation while Tier 3 is likely a target for tax evasion, etc. Unless they can get tier 2 to flip on tier 3 (like in LCS). Tier 3 will probably pay lawyers for all his underlings to make sure they don't flip.

The player would probably start as a petty criminal on tier 0. It's also not known to the player who controls what. So he can get into trouble if he robs a business that is extorted by a powerful person. The player could rise in the ranks (and discover who's the boss where) by doing some jobs for the soldiers or capo's. For example a murder or the protection of a street corner.

I'm familiar with lua so if the consensus is that something like this should be in the game I'm more than ready to chip in. Also, tell me what you think about something like this.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 05, 2010, 09:00:38 am »

Hmm... I've wanted a game where I could sell pirated software :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

usedpilot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 05, 2010, 09:09:26 am »

Just wanted to register to say this game sounds fantastic and I hope you guys are able to make it, and if you do, thanks for the impending work.

If I have one thing I especially hope for, it's that the combat will have the depth of descriptions of something like Dwarf Fortress like that hoax guy was planning.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 05, 2010, 02:51:07 pm »

I think the combat is going to be the same as the hoax.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 05, 2010, 08:04:40 pm »

You mean non-existent?
Hello Hunam

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 05, 2010, 08:41:47 pm »

D: No combat?  :'(

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 05, 2010, 08:59:34 pm »

Who is spreading these terrible no combat rumors?
They will burn I tell you.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 05, 2010, 09:02:15 pm »

what he meant was that the combat system will be similar to the SKRL...
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 06, 2010, 12:44:34 am »

The hoax videos. It will be the same as what the hoax videos were.

Its not that hard to understand, guys >:(
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #445 on: September 06, 2010, 12:53:15 am »

what hoax?
I got nothing

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 06, 2010, 12:54:44 am »

*facepalm*

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 06, 2010, 01:05:15 am »

Serial Killer Roguelike

Please never mention it again as you are just giving the hoaxer what he wants.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #448 on: September 06, 2010, 01:07:23 am »

;D
I got nothing

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 06, 2010, 02:10:45 am »

can we get the ability to do a upper decker in toilets?
the silly things like that could make this some type of GTA:RL
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 48