Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 92821 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #465 on: September 07, 2010, 02:55:49 am »

But there should be a lee-way for randomly generated names, if this is gonna be procedurally generated.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 07, 2010, 06:59:28 am »

I personally think that all names should be Procedurally Generated. Except the player's, of course.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 07, 2010, 09:38:40 am »

Go for similar corp names. Player and NPC names will be randomly generated.

Right now production is being held up by me trying to figure out the best way to make the maps.

Fully procedurally generated cities are simply not feasible at the scale we are looking at. Any city generator we make needs a lot more guidance than the average landscape creator because of how much detail we expect from a city. So here's my current plan.

1. The game looks at an street map file that may or may not be randomly generated. It looks something like this:

A more blown up example [of a different map]:

Each one of these streets is a representation of far more tiles. A '+' might actually be a block of tiles like:

|   
   |   
--+--
   |   
   |   

These streets do not contain sidewalks, curbs or anything, but asphalt.

2. The game then calculates the space in the open plots.

3. All available premade tiles for this district/theme that fit the dimensions of the plot will be gathered and one will randomly be chosen.

A plot tile might for a suburban house might look like:

4. The plot tile is randomly rotated and placed to fit in the plot, in game looking like:

5. The plot is filled with whatever random elements it comes with (random litter, trash cans, doodads)

I honestly do not know if I have the mad skills to code a much better system than this and will probably need help if anything more advanced is done. It's already a huge bitch trying to implement what I've described.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:42:36 am by Lap »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 07, 2010, 10:29:00 am »

I'd be for every name being random. Or being randomly pulled from a huge pile of various organization names, much like people names presumably will be. Or being named after people. In one game, the Midnight Crew is a notorious gang, and in another, it's a hardware store.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #469 on: September 07, 2010, 12:04:22 pm »

Agreed, at very least each organisation will have some randomness in it, eg picking from at set list of names and with some variation in their goals and ethics. I say this because we don't want to end up with themed gangs ending up with names unrelated to them or whatever.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 07, 2010, 06:22:52 pm »

I'd like to take this opportunity to announce that I am nearly done with spriting all the weapons. :D We'll need a template to code these into objects, and then that should do it. I'm guessing we use the same tiles template as given in the forums?

Also, props to whoever can name all the guns just by looking.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 07, 2010, 06:26:53 pm »

Hmm... not sure about the rifles, revolver and pistols, but I recognized the AK-47 and AK-74, Spas 12, bullpup, mac 10, MP5, and the flare gun? Pretty good spiriting, recognizable from sprites only is always a good sign.
Hello Hunam

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 07, 2010, 06:27:19 pm »

No idea what the first gun is. Dragunov. Python. No idea. AK-74. Chinese Type-56. What is that? Derringer two-shot pepperbox. FAMAS. MP5k/MP10. One of the Benelli's M line of shotguns. An Israeli micro-uzi.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 07, 2010, 06:28:57 pm »

Wait that's the FAMAS? Curse you design similarity
Hello Hunam

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 07, 2010, 07:08:24 pm »

Yea, I thought it was the Bullpup too.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 07, 2010, 07:44:10 pm »

Is number 4 a Taurus 627?
Shoes...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 07, 2010, 08:11:17 pm »

Bullpup is just a standard configuration that contains several guns, FAMAS being one type available as a Bullpup

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 07, 2010, 08:24:17 pm »

From left to right! 9mm Beretta, generic .22 hunting rifle, .38 S&W, .44 magnum (Colt anaconda), AK-47, AK-74, CZ550, Derringer, FAMAS, MP5, SPAS12, and microuzi.

So yeah, most of you guys were pretty much spot on, or did very well considering my inability to cram all the detail required into the sprites. The first pistol in particular I made it a bit too big, because it was the first sprite I did. The .22 is dubious because I wanted to lower the scope, otherwise it looked like a FAMAS, and the Uzi looks a little off because I used multiple models of uzis to make it.   

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 07, 2010, 08:39:19 pm »

I thought the one left of the uzi was a flamethrower...

But no worries on the confusion, that is a pretty unique layout, whether it's called an Uzi, Micro-Uzi, Mac-10, or w/e you all know: What it is, the Average Clip size, General Spray, and Portability... or at least I do.....

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 07, 2010, 10:45:42 pm »

Wait that's the FAMAS? Curse you design similarity

Bullpup is a generic term for a particular type of design. I guess you meant the Steyr-Aug bullpup?

EDIT: Okay so Tilla beat me to it.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 48