Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 48

Author Topic: Crime Focused Roguelike  (Read 92859 times)

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crime Focused Roguelike
« Reply #495 on: September 09, 2010, 03:23:55 pm »

Anything can be put into a white or purple slot, but brown or green are restricted to a single type of item. You'll need to find a coat and wear it as armour, or find a backpack and put it on your back if you want more inventory slots. I've only added the items that I needed to test the system, so the selection is very limited at the moment.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:14 pm »

It's working, yes. Thanks a lot! I got to put a fedora on my head, slip things into my pocket after I wore a coat, and carry around first aid kits in my backpack. For some reason that makes me very happy.

I think there needs to be a way to separate items and drop just 1 of something. After I picked up four first aid kits, I was unable to drop a single one--had to drop the whole load.

So far it's looking good. It sounds a little silly that I'm going to ask a question, but...how would you make this graphical? I'm making all the sprites, but I don't even know how to play Crimelike in a graphical mode, hahaha. I plan on adding items and linking tiles up, but then how would you toggle a graphical mode? Thanks.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 09, 2010, 09:47:55 pm »

Awesome.

This is really, really cool!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 09, 2010, 09:52:31 pm »

So I took a few days away from thinking about CL to get the juices recharged....and you guys have totally blown me away with what you have devised since. In the whole crazy spree of item creation, how were going to carry all that shit never crossed anyone's mind. And then you go and add backpacks. *golfclap*

And then you went a step further and made orifices. I never even conceived of that level of simulation. Random stops by the police and pat downs suddenly became a 100% viable part of game play. Smuggling coke balloons in your ass? Holy fuck!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 09, 2010, 09:53:52 pm »

weird, no idea how I DP'd there.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:21:49 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 09, 2010, 09:58:43 pm »

My, my, my.

This is shaping up to be one amazing project!

:D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 09, 2010, 10:51:52 pm »

Wait, so if I play the current version I can shove a hat in my ass?
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 10, 2010, 12:07:26 am »

"A goblin kidnapper has made it with Rawr 359, MD the child".

Haha, I see where it came from now! ;D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 10, 2010, 02:09:40 am »

Felt like it, so I'm dumping more little teensy pictures here. Five guns and six blades that are in the game, sprited in the past few days.

Also, some examples Soadreqm's awesome work on loot:

I never would have been able to make as awesome sprites as he did here, with this stuff. Seriously. I'm a weapons kind of person, and no good with perfect-looking, detailed small entwining stuff. Gape in awe! So yes, thanks to everyone who's working on the sprites.

cappstv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 10, 2010, 07:13:28 am »

And then you went a step further and made orifices. I never even conceived of that level of simulation. Random stops by the police and pat downs suddenly became a 100% viable part of game play. Smuggling coke balloons in your ass? Holy fuck!
What.
The French were adept of the "Losing is Fun" philosophy long before Dwarf Fortress.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 10, 2010, 07:17:48 am »

Felt like it, so I'm dumping more little teensy pictures here. Five guns and six blades that are in the game, sprited in the past few days.

Also, some examples Soadreqm's awesome work on loot:

I never would have been able to make as awesome sprites as he did here, with this stuff. Seriously. I'm a weapons kind of person, and no good with perfect-looking, detailed small entwining stuff. Gape in awe! So yes, thanks to everyone who's working on the sprites.

Guh, that's lovely. I should totally be helping like I promised, but I have lots of work.

I will sprite tomorrow. THIS I SWEAR.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 10, 2010, 07:31:18 am »

Just thought I'd mention that "gerbilling" is an urban legend. Mostly.

Stop ruining our fantasies. Prove it can't be done!!

(even though Boo was a minature giant space hamster anyway).

I decided to go for the maximum amount of references per item instead of accuracy.

So far it's looking good. It sounds a little silly that I'm going to ask a question, but...how would you make this graphical? I'm making all the sprites, but I don't even know how to play Crimelike in a graphical mode, hahaha. I plan on adding items and linking tiles up, but then how would you toggle a graphical mode? Thanks.

Every time you load up the game you are playing in graphical mode. All tiles and items automatically check if they have an associated image and if they do they display it. Later I'll probably change that code to allow it to be toggled on or off. The "Tile Entry" assignment is pretty much all you need.

And then you went a step further and made orifices.

The whole "butt party" screenshot took me less than fifteen minutes to code as I was just looking at what Xegeth did. I haven't actually implemented anything formally. A lot of the things I showcase in posts will either not be on the SVN at all or will be hard for the average user to access. If you see me driving a car around in a screenshot, odds are that I needed some debug command to even spawn it, among other quirks. Functionality comes first, accessibility later, so don't expect to jump into the latest SVN version and be able to easily replicate a screenshot you saw.

Right after I posted that last screenshot I knew that even though I posted it mostly as a joke that it would start up serious conversation and requests for orifices. That's a discussion we'll continue elsewhere as it might get to be a bit too dirty for this thread. I can't wait to discuss male vs. female balance issues.

Someone asked me why the city can't just be 100% procedurally generated and here's one of my reasons:

=(

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 10, 2010, 07:32:25 am »

That's a discussion we'll continue elsewhere[/b] as it might get to be a bit too dirty for this thread. I can't wait to discuss male vs. female balance issues.

We take it to the other, official board, then?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 10, 2010, 07:39:52 am »

I've just uploaded the next version of the inventory system, which has had two major changes. Firstly, the size and weight of containers are affected by their contents, so you can't put a full backpack inside another one anymore and bags of holding no longer exist. Secondly, it's now possible to assign a priority to each item slot by pressing a number while a slot is highlighted. (Item slots only though. There isn't much reason to allow you to do it to equipment if you can only wear one at a time.) The game can then try putting any item you picked up into each numbered slot until it succeeds, or ask you where to put it if it fails.

The volumes of the items are a bit unrealistic at the moment, so someone will probably need to give the items consistent sizes at some point. At the moment, a briefcase can fit inside a coat pocket.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 10, 2010, 08:07:10 am »

Someone asked me why the city can't just be 100% procedurally generated and here's one of my reasons:

(pic spoilered)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
=(

I think you mean 100% randomly generated. You just need to add more specific procedures. A check for cul-de-sac length or something. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding the problems with that screen shot...
Signature goes here.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 48