Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Grand Mountainhome  (Read 4245 times)

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand Mountainhome
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 07:13:23 am »

Make a glass temple. It begins with a portal, and then everything is made of glass. And in some nice water and magma art as a bonus.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 10:18:04 am »

Supersize everything you have planned by making the floors 4 z lvl high each.
Urist McHauler does not need a 4z high living quarters.

1. A safari park with one of every animal in the entire world in. Not a zoo with them all in cages, but a single level for them to roam freely in, and some glass walkways for dwarves to come and gawk at all the weird and wonderful animals.

2. A hall of records filled with row after row of cast obsidian walls all covered with engravings, and with the mechanics set up to make more walls once you have covered it all.

3. A vault that takes up a whole level in which you place all the artifacts and other shiny things that you dig up and make.
#1 I like.  I'm gonna go a step further though and try to introduce some ponds, as well as a few enclosures (accessed from the walkways above) with windows for ground-level observation.
#2 is...  unfeasible, due to the fact that it does, in fact, require infinite space in order to build a continually growing tower of knowledge.  I do like the idea, though - I think I'll try to find a volcano and a river on another embark and make a giant obsidian Tower of Knowledge.  I can do this with any kind of exploratory mining I do in the future, though.
#3 is something I was kinda planning on anyway.  Things like jewel-encrusted gold/platinum crowns, figurines or kings/queens of this civ, masterwork golden armor (which was the one thing I have modded in, gold and platinum equipment - because after all, those nobles should have a set of suitably fashionable and expensive dress armor for when they lead troops into battle...), masterwork weapons, artifacts, large gems, and that sort of thing.

Since t's a mountab ho9me, it needs accomadation for proper number of dwarves,
I'ld go for: (*but you won't, since you've already got this covered)

basic accomadation (for say 500 dwarves...) as (over three layers)

[...]

From dwarven luxury and relaxation suite - for maxium rehabitation a enjoyable attmoshere is advised. complete with platinum table, throne, masterwork engravings etc.
Ranging down to hell suite: floored with grates, looking down on the the schorching lava blow.
at a pull of a lever, water falls from the ceiling (conviently washing way any ... stains), into the lava below, sending plumes of scorching steam
You know, I really SHOULD plan to house a ridiculous number of dwarves.  This is, after all, going to be THE mountainhome, not just some ordinary fortress.  I can get a bit over 100 per floor with the pattern I have right now, so 4 floors should give enough space for 450.

As for luxury suites, yes.  Those are called Noble Quarters.  I don't think I'm going to include hell suites, though.

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Current plan for the magma tombs - feedback encouraged, I don't want to have to rebuild it.  Magma drops down directly into the big tomb, and passes through those tunnels to reach the smaller tombs.  I'm also toying with the idea of instead, using a small 'lava chamber' between the tomb and the entrance door (so you would have hall -> door -> room with lava -> door -> tomb) so it's TECHNICALLY accessible...  if you're willing to sacrifice a dwarf or two.

Or constructing it so that the magma tombs can drain into the noble dining room :D

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:41:23 am by shadowform »
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 10:27:47 am »

Historical archive. Big room filled with engravings (if you can figure out a way to control them, only historical ones, not stuff like "on the wall is an engraving of circles").

Maybe turn it into a museum by putting artifacts on display too.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 02:31:46 pm »

I'd combine the glass temple and artifact museum ideas into one. A massive museum filled with artifacts, optionally with a temple at the back. The whole thing is constructed from glass, with 1-tile-wide spaces between the walls filled with magma. It's like a giant aquarium. But with magma.

BONUS: Actually make the magma channels an aquarium, by capturing and pitting fire men and fire snakes in it somehow. You could also have the tombs below the museum, with the magma draining out from above and filling the lower part of the tomb, and the coffins and decorative statues on islands above.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 [2]