Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: how the hell do you play this mode?  (Read 22802 times)

Hertzyscowicz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how the hell do you play this mode?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 04:03:04 am »

Some miscellaneous tips;

Stairways need a connecting one on the z-level they're going to (downward stair above upward stair etc.) to work.
You can get to the stuff you packed by removing the cart from building tasks/prefs menu of the wagon.
You can set any dwarf to perform any labor from the prefs-section of the 'view units' menu of the dwarf.
You don't order dwarves around, you place orders in a building (again the building tasks/prefs menu) and a dwarf with the appropriate labor shows up to do the job.
Charcoal comes from a wood furnace, smelter makes coke (another type of coal) from bituminous coal and lignite. Charcoal and coke fuel non-magma furnaces and forges.
Traders' wagons can't move along stairways.
You can just slap seven beds and a couple of table/chair pairings in the half-complete main hall of your fort to keep your dwarves from having to sleep on and eat off the floor.
Keep an eye on your booze supplies; best way is to designate a separate stockpile for drink. (building tasks/prefs for an existing stockpile, or use a custom stockpile. Remember to disable drink from the main food stockpile.)

MadJax

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Muppet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 04:59:39 am »

I remember when I first started back in 2d version. I didn't know you could remove the wagon until 4-6 months after starting, so was confused to find a burning building outside :p
Dwarven Math:

Dorf + Magma + Insane Project = SCIENCE!

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 05:12:14 am »

Thats nothing.
I play by, and still do, by 2d rules, that is the room has to be 6x6 or under.
But heres the kicker, i have never played the 2d version ???

I think i picked it up while reading a forum somewhere and they were discussing the 2d version...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 05:41:21 am »

I find this question awkward, mostly because I can't figure out how to play Adventure mode, while Fortress mode is nice and easy.

Seriously. I can walk in Adventure mode, but that's it. None of the shortcuts as I know them from Nethack or ADOM seem to work, or maybe I've just forgotten most of them again.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 06:29:55 am »

You don't play this mode, you assign orders then wait HALF AN HOUR IRL for your dorfs to decide that it's a good idea to pick fights with things much, much stronger than them.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 11:44:30 am »

This tutorial helped me a ton when I started out.  Quite a bit has changed(probably most critically the farming), but its still probably pretty good!

http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 03:30:48 pm »

title says it all. I can play adventurer mode fine, but when it comes to Dwarf Fortress mode, it's like a MR person at a scientist meeting. it's all to complicated for me. can someone teach me how to play?
You lose.  A lot.  Learning a bit more the hard way each time.  Then you get used to disappointment and/or develop a very dark sense of humor, and you start designing your forts to fail.  The only limit is how fast your computer can run the game before it melts or you get bored and start a new fort/challenge.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

s1ppycup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 03:44:44 pm »

Might I recommend these fantastic tutorial videos, made by a fabulously handsome man?

http://www.youtube.com/user/51ppycup

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 04:20:48 pm »

title says it all. I can play adventurer mode fine, but when it comes to Dwarf Fortress mode, it's like a MR person at a scientist meeting. it's all to complicated for me. can someone teach me how to play?
You lose.  A lot.  Learning a bit more the hard way each time.  Then you get used to disappointment and/or develop a very dark sense of humor, and you start designing your forts to fail.  The only limit is how fast your computer can run the game before it melts or you get bored and start a new fort/challenge.
On this note, I'm curious to see how people used to adventure mode play fortress mode. The other way around, I find myself running off into the wilderness and taking potshots at elephants immediately.

EDIT: And I'm pretty careful with my forts. I've never lost one to anything other than FPS death and boredom.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 09:32:46 pm »

Myself, I used the Reddit DF101 Tutorials (well, Lessons 1 - 3, anyway) and then the wiki and this forum to learn to play.  I'm going to have to try out some of the other stuff people have listed here, however, to try and fill in the gaps in my knowledge (though trial-and-error-failure is a fun way to learn, too :D).

By the way, I'm not familiar with the 2d stuff.  Why the limitation of 6x6 or smaller rooms?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 09:35:21 pm »

Because a room bigger than that would cause a cave-in without a support.

The 3D system's hardly better, but it's at least got potential to improve.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 09:42:18 pm »

Because a room bigger than that would cause a cave-in without a support.

The 3D system's hardly better, but it's at least got potential to improve.
Thank you for the info.  That sounds like it would make for more fun (and Fun).  I'm assuming something similar will be added (back in?) as the 3d version progresses.  I can't wait. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2]