Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Charging Downwards (spoiler)  (Read 2976 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Charging Downwards (spoiler)
« on: August 29, 2010, 04:56:44 pm »

This thread is probably going to contain and in fact be made of spoilers concerning HFS.

So I've breached said infinite resevoir of hilarious fun via fortification (phew), and now I'm curious: can they be beaten? On other threads it has been suggested that sufficiently fast-breeding animals might be able to out-fight them through sheer numbers, but I'm wondering if militarizing my dwarves might have any effect. In short, I have 150 dwarves that could be used for the invasion, together with a breeding population of cats, dogs, and several other animals. Is there any combination of training and equipment that might let them succeed in taming the final dwarven frontier (other than sobriety)?

Ma88hew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Charging Downwards (spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 05:07:08 pm »

They infinitely spawn (in 31.#), but you can certainly try to reduce the population as much as possible. In legends, they are listed as "unnumbered", same as some insects are listed, so you need to kill at least 28 million per demon type as you put in your world gen parameters,, and hope that you don't have any unkillables(i.e. demons made of steam). OR, you could floor over hell.
If you try it, good luck. I don't think it has ever been done before.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:23:58 pm »

The initial invasion can be beaten. with 50 multi-legendary adamantine-clad warriors. then they can pretty easily handle any more that wander in.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »

Even steel-clad dwarves can hold the line. Adamantine blades (axes, swords, spears) will go a long way towards winning though. Also, if you have one, a legendary hammerdwarf with an artifact platinum warhammer will help take the "de" out of "demons."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:03:39 pm »

What the hell are mons?
(As a side note, things made out of steam can actually be killed if they charge, miss, and hit a wall. They'll take small amounts of damage, and if they injure themselves more often than they heal, the damage can accumulate to the point that they die).

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 06:08:45 pm »

Check Tvtropes. I know the page exists, but
Quote from: Tv Tropes
The database hates you right now. The entry might exist or it might not exist. We would clear this mystery up for you, if we could get to the database. We tried to look it up, but the database puked up an error.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 09:11:13 pm »

deciding factor allways seems to be randomly generated demons that have amazing powers or are made of something pretty much unkillable.

i have "graphite men" in my world, and they explode cavein dust in every direction, causing devestation to anything nearby, and eventually killing themselves. its hilariously awesome, but i find them to be very hard to put down. waves of cavein dust have a habbit of sweeping my dwarves and whatever they are fighting down into hell itself. if they actually survive the fall, they get eaten before they regain conciousness.

and, ive only attempted with steel, and was doing pretty well till i got the graphite men.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 11:23:16 am »

Is there a way of fighting fire demons without your dwarves just burning to death?

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 11:37:00 am »

This is my end game mission as well. What is the best material for hammers, again?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 11:39:57 am »

This is my end game mission as well. What is the best material for hammers, again?
Slade. Or, failing that, platinum. Or, failing that, silver. Or, failing that, well...
Just use magma.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 11:46:55 am »

Hmm, so I guess my steel warhammers are fairly weak then?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 11:58:18 am »

If you are on a freezing map you can utilize magma and water to encase the demons in ice.

Might be a problem if some are made of fire that evaporates water. Maybe make the waterflow constant and include spike traps?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Zokinin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 12:07:39 pm »

Steel is too light. Blunt weapon damage is directly related to the weight of the material used.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 03:22:18 pm »

If I remember correctly, Bronze is actually slightly heavier than steel/iron if you're out of silver/gold/platinum.  I think you actually have to get a mood to get gold/platinum weapons unless you mod it in.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 03:42:59 pm »

It's worth it!

Pages: [1] 2