Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eternally Caught In Limbo [MASSIVE SPOILERS] [Reaching HFS is possible!]  (Read 6909 times)

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, after 2 rl days of cave exploring I finally found a Demonic Fortress. Excited I rushed inside... just to find out it was empty. Completely devoid of (un-)life. A bug? Maybe, but I bet hell itself is FULL of demons. So after grabbing the adamantine sword and rushing down level by level of the fortess' basement I begin to wonder why it is so empty down there.. shouldnt I be swarmed by hordes of demons?
And then I found one: A water demon. My sword held high I rushed towards it, just to learn that water demons explode on the slightest contact with anything solid. Odd. A few levels further down I encountered a second one which sprayed me with its dust. I killed it, licked the dusting from my armor and climbed further and further down, waiting for a syndrom to kick in... After another dozen levels I thought to myself "Well, maybe it didnt really ZOMGWTFBBQ WHY AM I CONSTANTLY VOMITING AND WHY AM I BLIND?!"
Well, leaving a river of vomit behind me i crawled blindly down stair by stair, level by level, occasionally finding a lonely Crundle, Draltha or Elkbird. In hell. Weird...
At some point my adventurer stopped vomiting, but my eyesight is still lost. Oddly my eyes are undamaged and only cease to function.

After 5 hours (!!!) of going down level by level this "limbo" between the Demonic Fortress and hell suddenly stops. No exit, no staircase leading down. Just another empty level, devoid of all life, just like the hundreds I already crossed.
Im seriously upset now! Days of searching for hell and now THIS? My god, this is SO dissappointing. I saw hell from a few missing walls hundreds of levels above, but it was always just a look into the endless red glowing void, never could i reach the floor of hell from these gaps.

What should I do now? Is there a tool with which i can edit a few stairs to the lowest level? Or atleast teleport me over the gaps mentioned above?
Btw: I got the messages for finding the fortress, taking the sword and taking a first glimpse at hell, but never the message of demons spawning.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:41:42 pm by Fredson »

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eternally Caught In Limbo [MASSIVE SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:06:26 pm »

I should advise you to NEGATE the use of any cheating-tools. I read your story and it seems to me you should become a prophet, for only you have walked the darkest corridors and seen the darkness beneath us all (even though you couldn't even see). Just go up again, try to reach a village and retire. (then reclaim and see if the blindness has been cured)

Pick up your adventurer and see if his/her eyes have healed. To normally get where you are right now, numerous fortresses and adventurers need to be sacrificed. Be happy, don't worry!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:13:21 pm »

Well, then I will embark on my journey back up... I wonder how many levels this basement really has.. I think I'll count them this time.

EDIT: Okay, something REALLY bugged out this demonic fortress.
The basement normally just crosses the magma sea so you can travel to hell. As such it is relatively short, just a few z levels.
BUT this one is INSANE:
From the sword down are 33 levels with occasional features like magma, water and labyrinths in them. After those there are 70 (!!!!) levels which nearly look the same and are completely featureless beside small gaps which let you look at parts of hell somewhere in the first 20 levels. After that its just plain slate... 103 levels down... wow!
Another interesting find: Somehwere around level 40 there actually is a small path leading out of the fortress and into hell, but after a few tiles you simply cant reveal any more tiles of it. Looking at the dark spots gives no information and you cant walk into them.. very VERY weird...

EDIT2: Right after leaving the fortress my eyes started to work again! Maybe it was intended by toady to be blind down there?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:47:54 pm by Fredson »

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:37:33 pm »

Wow. So it is possible. I'd been down there for days myself, searching for where demons were finding access to the surface, and was starting to think it was pointless. This gives me much hope. Congratulations, and I hope your vision can be saved.

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found hell!
I just found another demon fortress and this one worked properly!
After walking through an (again) empty fortress and taking an adamantine scimitar (?) the demons spawned properly and I fought my way into hell. Demons are pansies, really, only their breath attacks are dangerous.

Now im lying in hell, constantly passing out, vomiting and just crawling forward. My legs cant hold me anymore. But here I am now, my final and ultimate destination: hell itself. A truly epic place to die in :')

EDIT: While crawling through hell I got swarmed by Sauropod Devils. I could barely lift my sword arm to hold them back when one of them kicked my head, jamming the skull through the brain. At least I could take a small glimpse of this mystic place ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:50:28 pm by Fredson »

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile

Good to know that it is possible to reach the HFS in adventurer mode (my adventurer has been screwing around in lvl 3, searching for a way down).
I just discovered adamantine with him (in lvl 3), tell me, does that mean an entrance to a demonic fortress is near, or does it not mean very much?

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good to know that it is possible to reach the HFS in adventurer mode (my adventurer has been screwing around in lvl 3, searching for a way down).
I just discovered adamantine with him (in lvl 3), tell me, does that mean an entrance to a demonic fortress is near, or does it not mean very much?
I didnt see a single piece of adamantine on my journey. But i found out the best way to find anything down there is to just keep walking into one direction (or as close to one direction as possible). You will eventually come across every feature in relatively short time.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eternally Caught In Limbo [MASSIVE SPOILERS] [Reaching HFS is possible!]
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:56:53 am »

I kept bumping against two water levels at the bottom of every cavern. But now I've found what looks like an underground road. Can't mistake this as a cavern; it's mostly uniform width, interspersed with bridges and patches of smoothed floor. One way leads to upward to a dead end, the other I'm still exploring. Am I on the right track? This is very close to where a fiend was ruling a goblin civilization, so who else would have built this road?

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 02:50:18 pm »

I thought underground roads were taken out because of the cavern update? Strange  ???

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 03:41:01 pm »

That my friend is a tunnel! They are indeed in the 31x release, and if your fort has depot acess to a tunnel dwarves will come in from there instead of the outside, (or if it's a goblin tunnel they will invade from there)...

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 04:14:25 pm »

That's interesting. This one is definitely a goblin tunnel; it crosses under a dark fortress capital before one dead end of it. If I wanted plenty of goblin christmases, and a ready source of magma, I could find a nice embark point around here.

EDIT: I'm not sure what to keep an eye out for here. I've gotten down to blood thorns and nether-caps, but I'm still getting blocked by water levels everywhere. Once while swimming, I got the 'Raw Adamantine!' announcement but didn't find it in the walls or floor, so I could guess that it was in the ceiling. If that's the case, then maybe it is possible to get through the adamantine layer without mining.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 11:07:43 am by Dok Enkephalin »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 06:14:36 pm »

Either that or you overlooked it as it would be brown if muddied, not blue.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 07:59:53 pm »

I looked at the descriptions, not the graphics. It's still possible I overlooked it, could've been around a corner.

rawr359

• Bay Watcher
  • dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 10:29:57 pm »

Someone make this into a movie please.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 04:53:41 pm »

i also got to hell 6 hours of walking got me a adey longsword yay and i got out to the surface and killed everyone yay
Pages: [1] 2