Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best Exploit Ever  (Read 8930 times)

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
Best Exploit Ever
« on: August 30, 2010, 12:16:15 pm »

I discovered this while trying out an experimental *cough* medical trainer. Someone else has probably found it by now, but if not, it's too good to not share. I call it the Ninja Trainer; using it, you can pull off:

* unskilled, unarmed civilian dwarf becomes legendary in armor user, fighter, and dodger in less than three months; possible additional stats for armed dwarves (shield/weapon)
* endurance, constitution, agility, and strength maxed out (you've never seen your dwarves move so fast)
* give nobles and children combat skill
* emotionally neutral, no risk
* scalable; number of dwarves you can train at a time is proportional to the amount of wood available
* simple, compact, can be built in a short period of time with basic materials

You will need:
* any flavor of DF2010
* a 3x5 area
* 10 logs
* 2 doors
* 3 mechanisms (+1 for the first trainer), ideally low quality
* carpenter's workshop profiled to dwarf without carpentry skill

Have your carpenter recruit make ten training spears (NOT SPIKES). Then build this:
Code: [Select]
#####
+|+q#
#####

# wall
+ door
| upright spike
q lever

Fill the spike trap with all ten no-quality spears. The lever is bait; it is not linked to anything. Build another lever somewhere nearby and link it to the spike. It is possible to use a repeater instead, but that is an exercise left to the reader. Profile the lever inside of the trainer to the dwarf you want to train and issue a pull command. Let the dwarf pull it, pause and single-step until he is standing on the spike, then lock both of the doors. Now profile the outer lever to all of the children and nobles in the fort and set a repeating pull job. Each time the spears pop they will harmlessly deflect off the dwarf's clothing, yet quickly build up his skills and attributes.

In 2-3 months you'll have a certified head-chopping ninja. Just make sure to keep an eye on it and let the trainee out to eat and drink every few weeks. It's okay to let them sleep in it; they'll get a negative thought for sleeping on the stone but will sleep soundly in spite of the sticks smacking them in the face.

Obviously, you can build a cluster of these and link them all to the same lever for batch training.

Better than infinite adamantine? Who cares about adamantine when you have a fortress full of bullet-dodging ninjas.

omglazers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Exploit Ever
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:23:09 pm »

I feel terrible because when the OP finds out this was already discovered and is already on the wiki ... ;  ~;

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:32:57 pm »

Dude, I found this really cool exploit where you can hook a pump up to a waterwheel and get perpetual motion!
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:33:37 pm »

What's the article? It should be linked to Attribute and Skill.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 12:39:37 pm »

Of course, if you don't want to give them a safe place to which to retreat you could always build a bridge over your spiky pit trap, dump your victims/trainees in, and commence the repetitive stabbing.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 12:41:27 pm »

Nah, the exploit where you can just build walls all around your fort and thus resist any amount of goblins/megabeasts/dendrophiles/whatever outside is much cooler!

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 12:44:52 pm »

safe place to which to retreat

Doors're locked. They're convenient for letting them out when they need to eat.

resist any amount of goblins/megabeasts/dendrophiles/whatever outside

Except for the legendary dark beast FPS Drop, who has single-handedly destroyed far more forts than any goblin horde or devil of the deep.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 12:58:04 pm »

In the effort for ever improved efficiency I build a danger room where I station my marksdwarves. Which means that while on duty guarding the area the marksdwarves are also training at the same time.

Obviously during battle I stop pulling the lever, but it allows them to pincushion kobolds while improving their combat skills and attributes.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 01:15:06 pm »

It was found three weeks ago and I'm considered to be a slowpoke. :-\

Anyway, the existing article and linked thread have issues, e.g. suggesting using one spear (much slower) and not mentioning using no-quality spears. I'll update it and cross-link it to the appropriate articles.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 01:35:12 pm »

The problem with your design isn't the doors, it's the lever; dwarves will occaisionally stand on the inner lever tile and avoid the spikes. That's what i was trying to rectify with the bridge idea.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 01:53:31 pm »

You lock both doors when the dwarf is standing on the trap, rather than locking the outer door the moment the dwarf enters the trainer. The latter is what causes the dwarf to stand on the lever because he can't path out.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 02:21:40 pm »

If you dump food and water into this danger room could the dwarf stay in there forever?  You could have a pit above the danger room, dump food and then claim it again....

Also would a spear missing really help the stats? Do they have to hit (and dodged to build up that skill or absorbed by clothing to build up armor user) or will a complete miss by a bad mechanism still improve stats?

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 02:28:45 pm »

I found this cool exploit where you play the game as it was intended and actually feel some degree of pride when a character reaches the desired level of proficiency.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 03:12:17 pm »

I found this cool exploit where you play the game as it was intended and actually feel some degree of pride when a character reaches the desired level of proficiency.

This being Dwarf Fortress & all, I think the above comes closer to HurtingWrongFun(TM) than anything else in this or other exploit/cheat/mod threads...

:P
Pages: [1] 2 3