Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Charging Downwards (spoiler)  (Read 2952 times)

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Charging Downwards (spoiler)
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 05:18:35 pm »

There is no perfect hammer material among the regular ones.

Theoretically you want strength (steel/adamantine), density (silver) and rigidity (iron). Adamantine is entirely too light, steel seems to perform best against naked flesh, silver against heavy armour and is therefore the most popular material, since decent performance against armour is usually the main draw of blunt weapons. I'm not sure whether the best thing against canned meat is also the best against naturally tough opponents though.

At any rate, bronze should never be horrible since it offers a decent mix of the qualities you want.

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 05:47:41 pm »

You can definitely take care of the first wave with an obsidian encasement trap. What happens after that though isn't so clear to me. I once made a stairway to hell and built a small fortress there, but the demons kept spawning at a slow rate, and sneaking up on my masons/haulers. Eventually I simply ran out of dwarves, but I think that can be solved by having a well-organised defence force patrolling hell. 

Freeklace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 08:33:47 am »

Ok guys...
You know what? I've played this game for years and I've always been too scared to open up the circus.
Currently I'm playing on what must be my most efficient fortress yet... not to mention the prettiest as I've made sure everything is nice and smooth...
Now I've found something "curious" beneath my fort (no magma yet btw...).
Ok so I'm actually considering going in there but i would like to atleast survive a couple of seasons so i can enjoy the sights down there. Right now i have about 25 legendary soldiers... what exactly are my chances?
Normaly i dont mind FUN ripping the crap out of my forts but I think I've grown attached to this one

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 11:00:54 am »

They infinitely spawn (in 31.#), but you can certainly try to reduce the population as much as possible.

Note that, although they are technically infinite, once you clear out the initial invasion all you see are small migratory squads passing through hell that may not even attempt to attack your fortress (depends on whether they have pathing access, e.g. flying). If they do have pathing and are attempting to enter your fort, they tend to kill your framerate again, despite there being only 3-5 of them trying to path to a dwarf.

I cleared out the initial invasion in one of my forts via a very long 1 tile wide hallway of 10x upright steel spikes, linked to a lever in my meeting hall set on repeat. It was probably 30 or 50 tiles long and maybe longer, and even still sometimes a demon would almost get by it all, but none actually did. However, all of the demon types in that fort were killable (and I had reduced the number of demon types in worldgen specifically in the hope that I would get fewer unkillable types, although even the red diamond and salt demons were slaughtered by the spikes).

After clearing the invasion I had planned to seal all walls with clear glass, but I eventually got bored because of the sheer amount of work it would require (needed to wall and floor off all glowing pits in addition to any sides directly attached by the slade floors). I only ever used my military squads for protecting workers from migratory demons.
Pages: 1 [2]