Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are spiked steel balls (and other trap components) so expensive?  (Read 1708 times)

AUTOMATIC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

19k for a spiked steel ball? What the hell? Is this some sort of bug or what? Why need for metal crafts then, if you can make so much money from just trap components?

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are spiked steel balls (and other trap components) so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:50:58 pm »

It might be that it is a very deluxe trap component, with fancy gems and such attached to it...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:51:15 pm »

Trap components have value multiplier of either 126 or 66 (higher than ANYTHING else), plus steel gives a multipler of 30, plus x5 for exceptional quality... You get the idea.

AUTOMATIC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:53:40 pm »

Dariush my question still stands. Why do trap components have such high multiplier?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:54:49 pm »

Because Toady One deemed it to be so.

Thus, it is so.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:48:12 pm »

Trap component values are based on their [SIZE:num] and [HITS:num] tokens, using the formula is "(2 + SIZE/25) * HITS", which works out to ridiculously high numbers for the stock trap components.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 01:54:08 pm »

Plus, considering what a 10-ball or 10-disc(or a mix of the two) trap can do to just about anything made of meaty parts, it's no wonder why it costs so much.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 02:31:24 pm »

One important difference that I think leads to the wild discrepancy is that in 40d larger objects used to take multiple components to forge.

Breastplates would take (3?) bars of metal, trap components would also take at least that, so in addition to the basic material value multiplier these larger objects were further multiplied for the number of components required.

Of course, it still seems to be a standing bug in df2010 that all objects only require one bar to construct regardless of their size, and thus the value multiplier is waaay out of whack for these larger objects. IIRC, trap components were the largest objects you could forge, requiring several metal bars, therefore they are now by far and away the most valuable objects in the game short of artifacts.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 02:38:17 pm »

Trap components in 40d only took 1 metal bar - trap components have a MATERIAL_SIZE of 4-5, and one bar is required per 3 MATERIAL_SIZE, rounded down. Also, the value multiplier for armor was specified using the [VALUE:num] token, completely independent of any size properties.

In the old 2D version, though, trap components all took 2 metal bars (while armor followed the normal rules) - perhaps they were hardcoded to use 2 bars instead of using MATERIAL_SIZE (it had everything but the menacing spike, using the exact same properties as in 40d).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 02:42:36 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 02:49:28 pm »

Right, the value multiplier for most objects was set arbitrarily, and trap components were always worth a lot - but the value would tend to be a lot higher for objects that took multiple components, such as traps and breastplates.

Now that everything takes one, those old multi-component objects are worth a huge amount.