Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best Exploit Ever  (Read 8934 times)

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Exploit Ever
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 03:53:21 pm »

It isn't really an exploit in my eyes, as it poses some danger at the least.

Cats die in my danger rooms all the time, and a few dwarves have died from infection.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 04:26:54 pm »

Well think about it. If you were trapped in a small room with repeatedly rising poles in it, you'd get pretty tough after sitting in there for 3 months.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 04:37:23 pm »

I found this cool exploit where you play the game as it was intended and actually feel some degree of pride when a character reaches the desired level of proficiency.

Then you aren't playing DF.

And I bet you actually trade to the Elves. <>_<> For CLOTH.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 04:40:44 pm »

Its best to only use a single training spear

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 06:30:38 pm »

If you REALLY want your danger room to give maximum stat building...  fill it with mostly 4/7 water with a few 3/7s floating around.  Then they level up swimming, too, and all the associated physical attributes.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:53 pm »

If you REALLY want your danger room to give maximum stat building...  fill it with mostly 4/7 water with a few 3/7s floating around.  Then they level up swimming, too, and all the associated physical attributes.
You're crazy.

And awesome. I commend you.

CARPS, HERE WE COME! Bring the fight to them for once!

For best effect, use a water repeater to keep the room at 3.5/7. By having the far end of the repeater open to the training room (perhaps after a fortification to prevent jamming) the water that would normally get atomsmashed instead flows into the room, but never greater than 4/7 at any spot. Perfect for what we need. For best efficiency, might as well attach the repeater to the spikes.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 09:11:08 pm »

My thought was to put a pressure plate (or ten) in the area(s) of heaviest traffic so dwarves that are hi-ho-hi-ho-ing around the fortress are, unbeknownst to themselves, forcing their defenders of the beer and ale to develop better military skills. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 09:18:14 pm »

He's an even better idea: randomly scatter upright spikes about the fortress, and link them to randomly placed pressure plates. No need for a danger room then.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 09:48:48 pm »

Lol, the water idea is a good one.

Now we just need to combine this with a GCS silk farm...
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 10:11:01 pm »

and so the dwarf is happy, make the water a waterfall...
this just gave me an idea.

. . . #G#  .
G. #ΞΕΞ#G.
. . #ΞVΞ#. .
. G#Ξ^Ξ#G.
  ===D====

E always forbidden door.
D door that the trainee enters.
Ξ Fortification
. floor
# floor grate
V spot where the water lands, and the supward spear is.
^ another upward spear.
G giant cave spider.

This construct should train
Swimming
Combat oriented skills
Atributes to swimming.
Attributes to being webbed.
Attributes to trapping
Making your dwarf happy in the middle of all that.

Iceball3 has exitted the intelectual trance!
what just happened?

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 10:20:10 pm »

As a side effect of the waterlogged training room, you will automatically be giving your normally blood soaked dwarves baths with regular basis. Just be sure to use cleanmap frequently to keep it from multiplying and actually eliminate the blood, not spread it more.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 10:21:50 pm »

Funny thing is that this has been used by the serious military fortresses for some time already. A for effort dude, but science marches on, and in DF it can march pretty dang fast. That happens when your fan-base is a mob of monomaniacal monsters.

ooooooh Added Alliterative appeal. sweeeet
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 10:36:10 pm »

ooooooh Aaaaah  Added Alliterative appeal. sweeeet  awesoooome
Fixed that for ya. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 10:39:49 pm »

My god. A swimming pool-barracks-ninja dodge training room is an amazing idea. O_O

When my current fort dies,

MUST. BUILD.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 11:38:14 pm »

I like this idea, but I propose instead of using training spears we use real spears. Made of adamantine. Preferably at least masterwork. Oh, and 10 per tile. And the water should be 7/7 and magma instead of water. With carp. Magma-breathing carp. On steroids.

Now that's a training room.

Pages: 1 [2] 3