Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best Exploit Ever  (Read 8854 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Exploit Ever
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 11:57:13 pm »

I like this idea, but I propose instead of using training spears we use real spears. Made of adamantine. Preferably at least masterwork. Oh, and 10 per tile. And the water should be 7/7 and magma instead of water. With carp. Magma-breathing carp. On steroids.

Now that's a training room.
Maybe for a super-badass dwarf, but for normal dwarves, it's a roomful of DEATH.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 05:01:47 am »

Okay, how's this. Assign your trainee to be a carpenter or miner before entering the trainer. Legendary axedwarf/fighter or miner/fighter in one week. In one week. You have to let them cook for a few months for the attribute gains though.

I'm not seeing any injuries. So far at the very worst I've seen bruising on the feet of dwarves wearing socks but no boots, ergo make sure they're wearing a full set of clothing. Cloaks seem to be important since they absorb the majority of attacks, including unlikely places such as the eyes. The mechanisms are * quality and the spikes are 100% towercap. I haven't seen a single evade in the combat reports contrary to the increase in dodging skill.

Good idea with the swimming pool and tossing food in. The problem with scattering the spikes through the fort is that they would be unconcentrated, so the skill gain would be much slower. The appeal of the single square room is that all ten spears hit 100% of the time. Scattering pressure plates around would work, though it'd be easier to use a water-based repeater.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 07:47:58 am »

Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I locked a horse in too, and after two weeks it was covered in bruises and had a few breaks (nose and ears) but was still relatively healthy. According to the combat reports, the following is what is being hit: cloak, hood, mittens, dress, shoes. As long as the dwarf is wearing these or their equivalent they are not so much as bruised. Perhaps it's the type of wood. I'll try it with some hardwoods in a bit.

Children and pets aren't even really an issue; they shouldn't normally path into the trainer. Just set the doors to no-pets and lock them when they're not in use. They shouldn't be able to follow the trainee in in the time it takes to pull the lever, and even if they do, the advantage of this setup is that you're actively paying attention to the setup phase. If you see a baby heading inside, just let the parent out.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 12:34:54 pm »

Alder, cedar, maple, oak...four simultaneous trainers running with 10 spears of a specific wood type, no-quality mechanisms, 0 bruises. I don't know what the people reporting injuries are smoking. Maybe it's from dwarves with exposed body parts wandering into the danger rooms, from impacts to metal armor (since the previous design was focused on military training), or possibly something dodging-related, since the danger room allows dwarves to move around.

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 01:08:58 pm »

Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.

Is there anything more representative of Dwarf Fortress than this? Sigged.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 02:49:20 pm »

Would standing pools of stagnate water prevent infection?  Clearly someone must test this.
Pages: 1 2 [3]