Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: What do you want to see in the next version of DF?  (Read 10696 times)

PKPhyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you want to see in the next version of DF?
« on: August 30, 2010, 06:24:50 pm »

So what do you want to see? Personally, I want natural disasters (monsoons, tornadoes, earthquakes, ect.) added into the game, and a realistic system for plate tectonics so the generated world would slowly change over time. I also want to see vehicles added. I mean, for all the amazing things people have gotten dwarfs to do, why stop at the WHEEL?     

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want to see in the next version of DF?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 07:05:25 pm »

a plate tectonics system would only really have any use if df was capable of longer world gens then it currently is

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 07:19:32 pm »

Natural Disasters would be great.  Rivers should occasionally flood and volcanoes should explode.

A few things I'd like to see are:
1)  Randomized Culture.  I'd occasionally like to embark and then be surprised to find out my dwarfs are actually cannibals.  Or maybe they have a ritual dance after every meal.  Or they refuse to wear pants due to their religion.
2)  More random events(like natural disasters).  I LOVE the randomized titans and beasts and would like to see a lot more things like that, but not necessarily combat related.
3)  More mechanics.  I'd love to see more interesting ways to build deathtraps machines.  (and to be able to pump fluids straight up a hole instead of a 50 pump monstrosity.
4)  More reports.  Sure its nice getting the combat logs once in a while, but how come Urist McDwarf never sends me local gossip and day to day info?
5)  Fire.  Fire is great!  I can only see fun things happening with fire.
6)  More fun stuff AND interesting stuff underground(dungeons?, forgotten cities?).  The caverns are one of my favorite additions to DF, but I never have much to do in them other than collect webs and get eaten by beasts.  There needs to be more to do down there.
7)  Adding some form of magic would be pretty cool, even if its simple "Sew the ruin of strength into Urists loincloth".

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 07:22:52 pm »

a plate tectonics system would only really have any use if df was capable of longer world gens then it currently is

Unless you could alter the time between abandoning/losing a fort and starting a new one. It would be kinda cool to have it change a bit between forts.

Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 07:35:33 pm »

the ability to strangle people with their own guts again.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:11:37 pm »

Probably something related to trade/caravans.  My biggest want is making my fortress more integrated in to the world at large; with the larger populations in the next release this will be much easier to do because there will be a market for all my stone junk.  Plus, the thought of being able to alter outcomes of wars and civilizations based on our trade would be pretty interesting as well.  Given that a civilization-scale level of DF is one of my major wants, this would be a great step in that direction/

Now, if we're talking above and beyond the things listed in the development page and goals, I'd like to see a working magic system as well as room for technology.  Especially if technology and spells can be easily modded for custom tech trees and the like; the modding potential for these systems would be, well, legendary.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:13:31 pm by Vercingetorix »
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:31:57 pm »

Probably something related to trade/caravans.  My biggest want is making my fortress more integrated in to the world at large; with the larger populations in the next release this will be much easier to do because there will be a market for all my stone junk.  Plus, the thought of being able to alter outcomes of wars and civilizations based on our trade would be pretty interesting as well.  Given that a civilization-scale level of DF is one of my major wants, this would be a great step in that direction/

As far as I can see, one of the long term goals Toady has stated said that you will eventually be able to send an army to attack places which aren't on your embark tile. Seiging the goblins back, if you will.

saarmae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 05:44:40 am »

METEORITES!

Actually doable i think. Create a random sized explosive mass which would fall every once in a while. Would be fun to live in year 1051 in a HUGE meteorite crater created in year 562 which wiped out the local elf population on that subcontinent...

Have dwarfs go into strange moods ("The end is nigh!") a year or so before a major meteorite hits on or near your fortress.

Have some of the meteorites have a chance of introducing alien wildlife to your dwarfia (i.e. megabeasts and semi-megabeasts).

(droooools)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 05:52:49 am »

Maybe scattering ore or very rarely adamantine around the place?

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 07:13:26 am »

Unless you could alter the time between abandoning/losing a fort and starting a new one. It would be kinda cool to have it change a bit between forts.

Even then, once you start simulating on a geological timescale then things like evolution, or at least technological and cultural innovation, need to come into play. It would be a cool idea as a project in its own right, but the specific goals of DF as a fantasy world simulator tie it to a particular historical window.

EDIT: Actually, this guy has a computer simulation of plate tectonics working on a DF-friendly timescale: http://globalflood.org/papers/icctectonicmodel94.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 08:37:42 am by tps12 »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 08:19:22 am »

It's not going to come next version, but what I'd like to see in the future is related to what Vercingetorix wants - having your fortress more tied into the world.

In my ideal DF, we'll be able to build inns, taverns and shops which indiviudals and groups of travellers can use. Perhaps some of the travellers will even settle down, so you could have a multi-cultural fort.   

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 08:38:59 am »

I'm surprised no one has posted sentiments akin to mine yet -- which is that the Holy Shit Quotient is already high enough.  Rather than add yet more cool stuff, I'd like to see more time spent mopping up bugs and making play smoother.

For example, fix bug #34 (dwarves sleep in wrong beds), which dates from the first DF2010.  Or implement my Stockpile Greediness suggestion, which would obviate the need for a lot of dump-system abuse.  Or fix the vermin-corpse decay time to be more like 40d, so that refuse stockpiles are usable again.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 08:56:00 am »

What I want to see in next version of DF?

Bugfixes. A LOT. Including optimisations.

If you have "next major version" on mind, then - something resembling real user interface instead of current stinking crap-on-stick. Preferably API'fied, even if only internally, and flexible.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 10:25:29 am »

Saving without quitting. And mountable animals.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 11:00:06 am »

I would like to see something to the effect of leaving a fort (not abandoning!) and being able to start a new fort from the old fort's civ.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7